Appearance of the Insulin Pump

houndrock

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone!

Personally, I am not very comfortable of showing I'm wearing an insulin pump in public. Usually, I keep it hidden under my shirt.

I wanted to see what your experiences are. What do you think of the appearance of your insulin pump? How do you you change its appearance? Or don't you mind at all?

Cheers! :)
Dan

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I try to hide it at work. Not with great success. There are a few threads on here about how men can conceal a pump in formal office attire.

I have no doubt that people at work feel it's freaky and weird that I wear the pump and it makes them uncomfortable. I know because they told me so. Some of them did and I suppose for everyone who speaks up there are many more who are polite enough to keep quiet about how they feel.

Outside of work I don't care, I just wear it on my belt or clipped to my pocket. I wish there were better ways to wrangle the tube and keep it tidy, out of the way.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dan and welcome to the forum :)

I don't mind one little bit if its on show, a pump (or insulin pen/syringe) is nothing to be ashamed of and without them we wouldn't be alive. that's my opinion although I respect that people do feel uncomfortable with them on show or can't be bothered with people asking what they are.

Reactions: 6 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I show it off if I need to - I'm proud to have it! its generally on my belt or in my pocket and If people ask or diabetes comes up i whip it out and show people.

Most are very interested and it allows for some education.

Reactions: 8 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't hide my pump. I put it where it's most convenient for me. It's usually on my belt/waistband and I like that as it's easy to access and I also use it as a clock : D

People don't notice it as much as I thought they would. If I bolus on it or something, they notice, but a number of people at work hadn't noticed it at all. Usually, if they do, they're interested in finding out more about it. I've never had anyone react negatively.

I don't use a case for my pump when it's on my belt. I just use the cool little clip that came with it. I think my pump is quite slim and non-medical looking, so it's quite discreet.

I honestly don't care about people seeing it. I love my pump and I'll continue to wear it as I choose.

Reactions: 8 people

masonbason63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Being type 1, my health and what really grates me are false people who make themselves out to be something when their not
Hi houndeock,
I wear mine loud and proud not ashamed at all I just look at it as I'm exceptionally lucky to have this little wonder.

Reactions: 9 people

victry77

Yeah, I don't mind anyone seeing it whatsoever. I work in a very inclusive environment, so it never in million years be a problem there. Outside of work, no, not bothered to have it out in the open, so to speak :)

Reactions: 2 people

carol anne

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Mashed potato
I use a belt made for a pump so it comfy for me I don't give a monkeys what anyone thinks it me that has diabetes and I love my pump but I have never had any bad comments if I did that person would get a lot of bad comments back

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought I'd want to hide it, but after a while wearing it tucked in my underwear, physically I was always aware it was there as I couldn't find anywhere comfortable for it to sit. Now I have different coloured pouches I bought online and wear it quite happily hanging from my trouser loop. If I'm wearing a dress I either strap it to my leg, but again it makes me feel like its there, or I cut a tiny hole in the side stitching and pin it on the outside using a co-coordinating pouch.
For me comfort over vanity won the day.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1432033686.929499.jpg

Proud to wear mine. No qualms at all.

Reactions: 3 people

Jillyp83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes
I wear mines clipped onto the middle of my bra!! it doesn't bother me showing it I just don't find it comfy on belt or trousers it catches on door handles. I love my little pink pump suits my personality :)

Reactions: 3 people

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is a little bit different as it is an Omnipod, so no tubes or things to clip on, but I generally wear on my arms, so super visible. People occasionally ask about it, but as far as I know, it doesn't upset anyone... I've only had it for a few months, so I'm still pretty proud of it/happy to show it off :)

misswhiplash

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
(Also - I currently have a snazzy little cover on it that makes it look like a robot, which I find enormously cheering )