Are you waiting for the DVLA to renew your drivers?

sw11bloke

I sent off my complete forms for my medical renewal last year in October. The DVLA sat on my application untill now. I kept calling them as my drivers had expired but they kept fobbing me off with the same excuse - that its with the medical team awaiting to be reviewed and that they could not give me a time frame and that they were currently working on applications dated 4 January!!!!

Advice:
Write to your local MP. I made an official complaint to my MP who called the DVLA. Within two days I had my renewed drivers license issued.

I think people should start putting pressure on the DVLA.

If you have not signed this petition yet, Please do. Its for a good cause in the fight against diabetic discrimination by the DVLA.
https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/ ... e_petition

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I am having problems right now. My license ran out may 24- I got the renewals in march which I filled in and sent back. I realised in may I had not had it back - would usually have been done. so I phoned and they said that they did not have the form only my license - the both were obviously in the same envelope. they had one and not the other.
they told me to redo the medical forms on the internet - so I did this and then got a letter saying thank you for filling in the medical forms but I need to fill in the application form. I did this and then got a letter saying I needed to complete the medical forms. I phoned them again and they said oh sorry we filed them
so I have been waiting since and they have not contacted my doctor but say they have and rudely kept repeating the same line - we are waiting for your doctor.
my doctor has now faxed it to them. I am financially losing out as I cannot claim my travel claims which is approx. 200pound each month until I have a driving license etc on file.
don't know what else to do as if I go to far they may revoke :thumbdown: it.
any advise welcome

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When they had my licence for medical renewal and the old one expired due to their delays. I phoned up about it, and they sent me a letter saying its ok to continue to drive until my case had been decided. It could well be worth asking them to send you a letter to the same effect and carry a copy in the car in case you are stopped.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I've been waiting since Jan. LGV is main problem really. At least awaiting a regular license you can continue to drive. LGV you can't.

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I contacted my mp- who phoned them and suddenly I have a license. However they wrote to the mp and the story they gave was very different from the events that occurred.

denbo

h im waiting for my hgv licence to be sent out to me had a medical with my gp and consultant and all good reports from them i keep rnging the dvla but they keep sayin ts with the medical board and mght have to go and see their independant consultant i cannot drive on the paper work the dvla av sent me as companes have been to wont except ths as they need both lcences paper and photo one think they shud send you renewals 2 mths prior before yr lcence runs out this has been goin on since sept its now nov and lke everyone else no wages and blls tp pay the dvla do not rush

denbo

anyone now applyng to renew their HGV even though you have been to have a medical with your gp and go to see your consultant and you are on nsuln the law s now you av got to go and see a consultant the DVLA say have got to go sutton coalfield got to ring for a appointment this is the 3rd stage ov t even though my consultant as gven me a very good report so im hoping to get it renewded as theres no reason it shouldnt be as my diebetes is well controlled so good luck to all you HGV drivers who are lke myself :clap:

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had the same problems with the dvla when I was told I was type1 diabetic in jan I told the dvla and they suspended my licence for 3 month.it took them 8 month to get all the paper work and reports done and they told me they were suspending my licence because I did not meet the requirements of the eye test .
Yet when I had first medical at 45 I passed the eye test ok . 2 years later I don't .they will not back down and said they would revoke my car and Hgv if I did not agree .so I gave up my Hgv and now only have restricted medial licence and have to renew it every 3 years .i am lucky I don't need it for my job as a refrigeration engineer

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App