Argh -- no quinoia - any ideas for alternative?

equipoise

Supermarkets in my area seem to have stopped stocking quinoia, which I found worked nicely as a rice-substitute in stir fries. Any ideas for a substitute?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although lower carb than rice (brown uncooked weight 100g = 77g carbs) quinoa is still quite high (uncooked weight 100g = 55.7g carbs). If you wanted a really low carb alternative give cauliflower rice a go, sometimes called cauliflower cous cous (uncooked weight 100g = 3g carbs!)
EDIT If of course you are looking to cut carbs! :joyful:

Reactions: equipoise and dbr10

equipoise

Many thanks for these links. Lots of companies cheat by combining quinoia with rice (the 'with' can mean up to 90%).
I try to combine lower carb with very busy life and gentle forms of self-deception -- quinoia in small portions doesn't do too much damage to my bgs and helps me to avoid rice altogether. Cauliflower rice would undoubtedly be the best option but I don't like the taste. That being said, the carb rating you give is incredibly low (as is your hba1c), so maybe it should be my new year resolution to switch to cauliflower rice -- it might also allow me to occasionally be slightly bad with contents of stir fry sauce.

Reactions: lindijanice

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don’t have any, just eat more of whatever you were going to have with it.
That’s what I do with stir fries these day, no noodles, no rice just more veggies!

equipoise

Don’t have any, just eat more of whatever you were going to have with it.
Thanks wiflib -- you are exactly right, and I am exactly weak. I promise I will have bone broth one day... (nice to have you back on the forum by the way)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sometimes use bean sprouts as a noodle look alike!

Reactions: equipoise

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks wiflib -- you are exactly right, and I am exactly weak. I promise I will have bone broth one day... (nice to have you back on the forum by the way)

Weak? Don’t be daft, I’m the epitome of weak! I still have to control my food addiction urges but it’s just slightly easier n the absence of carbs.

Were you here back in the Eddie and Trink days?

Grateful

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cauliflower rice would undoubtedly be the best option but I don't like the taste.

I avoid quinoa because of the carbs. Have you tried making your own cauliflower rice, or are you referring to the pre-made stuff? I have never tried the pre-made, but I am told that it does not taste good. I do like the homemade version done in a food processor -- the taste is not particularly strong (and I assume it is cheaper).