Armageddon

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Someone once told me the without all the stuff you're basically on your back within 3 days and dead within a week.

By not eating other than some fat, and drinking lots of water, I expect you can live for longer. (Also remember that lots of people who are told they have Type1, do make a little of their own insulin.)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Interestingly, there was supposedly one man in the Channel Islands during the WW2 German occupation, where the limited insulin supplies meant that all the T1s died after the insulin ran out, who went off grid and starved himself and survived. Unfortunately I can't find the link, so I don't know whether he was early in diagnosis or maybe even a T2.... As I remember he was T1 and in the resistance....????

Given that at the time, there were no c-peptide or antibody tests and the labels T1 and T2 were not in use, we can't tell what type of diabetes someone had.....

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
By not eating other than some fat, and drinking lots of water, I expect you can live for longer.

... It would at least feel like it. ;)

(Also remember that lots of people who are told they have Type1, do make a little of their own insulin.)

Type one, by the nature of the condition kills off the beta cell funtion in the pancreas. The "honeymoon" may slow down the inevitable. But we will ultimately need exogenous insulin. Or the only fat we will be feeding off is our own. :banghead:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interestingly, there was supposedly one man in the Channel Islands during the WW2 German occupation, where the limited insulin supplies meant that all the T1s died after the insulin ran out, who went off grid and starved himself and survived. Unfortunately I can't find the link, so I don't know whether he was early in diagnosis or maybe even a T2.... As I remember he was T1 and in the resistance....????
Was this the French or insulin????????:):):):):)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
By not eating other than some fat, and drinking lots of water, I expect you can live for longer.

I admire your optimism and enthusiasm for lchf, ringi, but it really doesn't work out that well for T1s without insulin. Here's a before and after pic:

markdown_lightbox_b7851ccd275675c6150b01cf181f56e807991197-c3dc5.jpg

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I wonder if one fed grain to cattle before they were slaughtered and then ate the raw pancreas from them would it help?
Derek
Nope. If that worked we would all be on insulin pills and not injections.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I admire your optimism and enthusiasm for lchf, ringi, but it really doesn't work out that well for T1s without insulin. Here's a before and after pic:

View attachment 25908

It wouldn't work out that well for my dog either.. I hear they taste like chicken.
I wonder if one fed grain to cattle before they were slaughtered and then ate the raw pancreas from them would it help?
Derek
The acidic "stuff" in the gut would just break the protein down in the pancreas. Gluconeogenesis, nothing else.. (sorry, i'm not a techie.)
Nope. If that worked we would all be on insulin pills and not injections.

Sugar coated to make em taste nice... :banghead:;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee I inadvertently ate dog when in Vietnam once. It didn’t taste like chicken.
I appreciate your feedback' Mel.. I heard this remark on the taste once about Chihuahuas.. (technically a dog.) ;)

So... What did it taste like?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2

But many children with diabetes (we don't know the type as antibody testing was not done, but many would have been what we now call T1) lived long enough to benefit from the discovery of insulin. When you think you are in an armageddon, you don't know if help will arrive within days or weeks or maybe never - hence delaying death as long as possible make it more likely you will be alive when help arrives.

Reactions: mountaintom
D

Deleted member 308541

I ate some dog meat in Singapore years ago, I did ask the street stall holder what it was and she rattled something of in Chinese then went "WOOF!".

It was quite tasty, but definitely did not taste like chook.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ate some dog meat in Singapore years ago, I did ask the street stall holder what it was and she rattled something of in Chinese then went "WOOF!".

It was quite tasty, but definitely did not taste like chook.

My wife (on her travels) had a sort of stew in Nepal.. Asking what the meat was. the cook pointed to a baby goat loitering outside the door.

Sometimes, humour is universal whatever the culture... ;)

D

Deleted member 308541

My wife (on her travels) had a sort of stew in Nepal.. Asking what the meat was. the cook pointed to a baby goat loitering outside the door.

Sometimes, humour is universal whatever the culture... ;)
We get goat meat from a friend who owns a Anglo Nubian goat farm.

Reactions: Jaylee

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If we didn't have insulin, we may be able to limit our carb intake but this would only help for a very short period of time because, even without carbs, we still need basal insulin.

When I see refugees running from war-torn countries, I often worry how difficult it would be if they had diabetes and didn't know where they would get their next insulin "fix" as they are pushed from one country to the next.
It makes me very glad this is not a problem I have to consider for myself.
I’ve had the very same thoughts regarding war torn countries when seeing people with absolutely nothing. Do they even know they are diabetic? I bet most don’t even get check ups like we do. Why I’m very careful and fully appreciate my medicines when ordering them and never try to waste anything. Not even food now.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I appreciate your feedback' Mel.. I heard this remark on the taste once about Chihuahuas.. (technically a dog.) ;)

It tasted like camel :D

Basically I thought it tasted like a dog smells - sort of wet dog fur.

In other news, squirrel tastes like you’d imagine rat to taste :meh:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Ok lets crank this up a gear or two for fun what would you do if there was a zombie apocalypse, think the walking dead type scenario, personally I would raid pharmacies and hospitals ASAP then hunt for food.
It's called Alzheimer's disease.
Seriously take a look around you.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's called Alzheimer's disease.
Seriously take a look around you.

The only "denial" i ever had leading up to & during a certain diagnosis, was of Alzheimer's.. Someone very close to me.
I wouldn't call my mum's condition an "apocalypse" just reversing the roles & more like dealing with a mardi teenager at this stage for my sister & I...

My mum may have no idea what day of the week it is at this stage in the Alzheimer's progression... But she's still there. (in essence.)

.... & not planning a world wide coup.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Derek
One can't ingest insulin. It's a chain protein hormone which would be immediately broken down by stomach acid. Hence it has to work its way directly into the bloodstream via capillaries between adipose and dermis.

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
But many children with diabetes (we don't know the type as antibody testing was not done, but many would have been what we now call T1) lived long enough to benefit from the discovery of insulin. When you think you are in an armageddon, you don't know if help will arrive within days or weeks or maybe never - hence delaying death as long as possible make it more likely you will be alive when help arrives.
The problem with full T1 is that, irrespective of what you eat, the lack of insulin means you would start to DKA within a week or so and your organs would start to fail after another ~week. I don't know how long it would take from last insulin until fatal organ failure, but I'm thinking no longer than 6-8 weeks. I might do some Googling....

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok, so I was being a bit conservative it seems. If you are no longer in honeymoon, a researcher at Yale found that the prognosis for a T1 without insulin or any carbs was death between 2 days and 2 weeks. There are plenty variables, including age, body mass, whether you were on basal (shooters) or fast only (pumpers). Someone without a completely defunct pancreas could potentially make another year.