Armageddon

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, what would T1’s do if the pharmacist and doctors were gone and there was no insulin, no needles, no electricity to recharge meters, no supermarkets (no labels), no FORUM etc.
ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well for some of us when we were diagnosed there were no blood glucose meters, labelling on foods was dubious and there was no publicly available internet - let alone forums :)

Fantastic reply!

D

Deleted Account

If we didn't have insulin, we may be able to limit our carb intake but this would only help for a very short period of time because, even without carbs, we still need basal insulin.

When I see refugees running from war-torn countries, I often worry how difficult it would be if they had diabetes and didn't know where they would get their next insulin "fix" as they are pushed from one country to the next.
It makes me very glad this is not a problem I have to consider for myself.

Reactions: mountaintom

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Better start building the off grid bunker just in case, with a room for the buffalo...

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I doubt many of us would be as clever as a Eva Saxl so it’d be bye bye, been nice knowing you world.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am I allowed a Stihl saw and could I aquire a JCB type of motor from the wasteland?
My mate (who's got a T1 son) and I once had this discussion (in a Dutch coffee shop) and concluded that as long as some infrastructure remained you could survive at a push as a T1.
Until cholera got ya :p

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think we would need to buy some pigs and milk their beta cellsas well as eat the bacon though I read it took 8,000 pounds of pancreas to make 1ib o f insulin (don't ask me how mnany units that is) prior to the genetically engineered stuff. Maybe the PM has a secret bunker fridge of the stuff?

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok lets crank this up a gear or two for fun what would you do if there was a zombie apocalypse, think the walking dead type scenario, personally I would raid pharmacies and hospitals ASAP then hunt for food.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was one of the first things I wanted to know. It's sort of also one of those things that sort of isn't allowed to be discussed so I won't. The short answer is "die."

Someone once told me the without all the stuff you're basically on your back within 3 days and dead within a week.

mountaintom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This was one of the first things I wanted to know. It's sort of also one of those things that sort of isn't allowed to be discussed so I won't. The short answer is "die."

Someone once told me the without all the stuff you're basically on your back within 3 days and dead within a week.

I think, like I said earlier, dying soon after the nuclear holocaust would be preferable over surviving it and witnessing the aftermath.
Ironically it wouldn’t affect us here in rural Ireland as much as it would in a big city like London. That would be hell. Life in Kerry would kind of be the same. People would do more hunting and fishing and all get along nicely.