1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Armageddon

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by mountaintom, Mar 28, 2018.

1. LooperCat

LooperCat Type 1 · Expert

Depends how good an aim the nuke had, to be fair... one pointed at London could land in Dublin ;)

• Like Like x 3
  2. mountaintom

mountaintom Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Haha. No I’m assuming it would happen elsewhere like China or America.

3. scorpius14

scorpius14 Type 1 · Active Member

gets you thinking about those who live in deprived areas where one cannot access health services are as good as dead if they suddenly come down with diabetes, or if you were in times where people were dying from an unknown illness until it was officially recognised or as long as sugar was invented

• Like Like x 1
  4. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Personally, I think the stress involved in this scenario would raise sugar levels something chronic.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. mountaintom

Precisely my point when I hear people on here having a moan.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

What makes you think America would hit China even if they were aiming for it.:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

The assumption is that it's not Trump actually setting the aim...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. lindisfel

lindisfel · Well-Known Member

Don't worry in a few years time none of our antibiotics will work and many more of us will die prematurely! :)
    Why worry about what might never happen, when I was a young man we all were considering building fall out shelters!
    D.

• Like Like x 4
  9. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I was a small sickly baby during the Cuban missile crisis, and my T1 mother briefly obsessed about stockpiling the obscure type of milk that was the only thing I tolerated at the time... (Guess she reckoned that there was no point to stockpiling insulin.)

I've still got my copy of the Government classic leaflet "Protect and Survive", which explains what to do in the event of a nuclear attack.:)

IN fiction, the standard scenario seems to be that you raid all the local and non-local pharmacies and then die after 6 months when you run out! But I'm not a particularly fast runner, so I reckon the zombies would get me first.

Interestingly, there was supposedly one man in the Channel Islands during the WW2 German occupation, where the limited insulin supplies meant that all the T1s died after the insulin ran out, who went off grid and starved himself and survived. Unfortunately I can't find the link, so I don't know whether he was early in diagnosis or maybe even a T2.... As I remember he was T1 and in the resistance....????

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. mountaintom

The Insulin Resistance?

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
  11. Bertyboy

Bertyboy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Listen very carefully, I shall inject zis only vonce!

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  12. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

• Like Like x 1
  13. mountaintom

14. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you have all those leathered bog burials in Kerry? Would it be like meet the zombie ancestors? Bet they knew a thing or two about brewing, and zombie good craic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mountaintom

Yes there’s plenty of ancient ghosts around here

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. Chowie

Chowie Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't know how true it is, but around the time of the Plague the aristocracy survived better than most as they only drank alcohol. This had a side benefit of slowing diabetic disease as the liver was far to occupied about getting rid of the alcohol to start dumping glucose. Shame that you died of a young age from of all sorts of liver diseases, but it wasn't diabetes.
    No insulin even with the internet the T1 forum would be a very quiet place. Noobs making their initial post, a few days latter... Apparently you can live foe a few weeks without insulin, however at some point in time you pass the point of no return, so even if you started taking insulin the damage is so great the end is nigh. This may not be correct, but it was in a discussion I had with knowledgeable medical personnel.

17. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

So fleas don’t like alcohol-sodden victims! Getting in the Armageddon supplies! May as well go out insensate as well as hypo from the end-it-all overdose

• Like Like x 1
  18. lindisfel

I wonder if one fed grain to cattle before they were slaughtered and then ate the raw pancreas from them would it help?
    Derek

19. lindisfel

You dead right Mel, there is no escape. Chernobyl set off all the alarms at Sellafield nuclear plant in Cumbria when it rained and the fell sheep couldn't be eaten for years.
    D.

20. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

If it's any help to the discussion. I saw this documentary on TV a few years ago...

But this is on the basis that the human race just checks out of the hotel. ;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook