Atkins Bars

Kingmidas

I've just discovered Atkins bars - not for regular consumption, but as a handy thing to keep in my handbag in case I could get caught short and I can't find anything to eat anywhere.

I'm really surprised at how nice they are, and they're actually not too sweet - my particular favourite is the fudge caramel bar which is really filling and would almost do as a meal substitute.

Little bit pricey but for those who aren't totally organised (like me!) and don't always have some cheese or nuts to snack on, very useful!

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Reading the ingredients list would put me off eating these.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There’s also Carb Killa bars and phd Smart bars, I always have one or either of them in my bag, just in case :hungry:

Reactions: Kingmidas

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I'm guessing the fat is from the soy oil. I am avoiding 'vegetable' oils of all kinds but at nearly two quid a bar I wouldn't buy them anyway. If I needed something in my handbag (which I do not) I would carry a small bag of nuts.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just discovered Atkins bars - not for regular consumption, but as a handy thing to keep in my handbag in case I could get caught short and I can't find anything to eat anywhere.

I'm really surprised at how nice they are, and they're actually not too sweet - my particular favourite is the fudge caramel bar which is really filling and would almost do as a meal substitute.

Little bit pricey but for those who aren't totally organised (like me!) and don't always have some cheese or nuts to snack on, very useful!

Hi there, they sound good, how many carbs? I buy Adonis low carb bars online but they cost a fortune so I'm on the lookout for others. x

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
for those who aren't totally organised (like me!) and don't always have some cheese or nuts to snack on, very useful!
I agree that cheese is not always convenient, but surely nuts are just as easy as Atkins bars, and are considered to be extremely healthy

Kingmidas

I agree that cheese is not always convenient, but surely nuts are just as easy as Atkins bars, and are considered to be extremely healthy
As I said, not something I intend to be a permanent fixture. I am a carer for an elderly parent and it's not always possible to prepare for every eventuality ... why I have to explain that I'm not sure, but there we go!

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Kingmidas I used to have the atkins bars but I found that whilst they didnt raise my BG levels too much in the hours after eating them, my fasting BG levels the next day were slightly higher than normal.
They were tasty but the polyols can induce a windy reaction :wideyed: just saying :)
I understand the frustration of those unplanned days where you suddenly find yourself running around for hours, I hope you are one of the lucky ones who doesnt get a delay in raised BG levels

Kingmidas

Hi @Kingmidas I used to have the atkins bars but I found that whilst they didnt raise my BG levels too much in the hours after eating them, my fasting BG levels the next day were slightly higher than normal.
They were tasty but the polyols can induce a windy reaction :wideyed: just saying :)
I understand the frustration of those unplanned days where you suddenly find yourself running around for hours, I hope you are one of the lucky ones who doesnt get a delay in raised BG levels
Well, I'm just over the prediabetic threshold so I don't measure anything, but I've tasked myself with making sure it doesn't develop into full blown diabetes. I've already reversed my poor liver function results and just have to keep low carbing until my next blood tests and see how I go. And I've lost 8lb

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I'm just over the prediabetic threshold so I don't measure anything, but I've tasked myself with making sure it doesn't develop into full blown diabetes. I've already reversed my poor liver function results and just have to keep low carbing until my next blood tests and see how I go. And I've lost 8lb
Well done on losing 8lb, I found low carb a great way to reduce and now keep my BG levels at non-diabetic readings. When I was first diagnosed I was told to "eat healthy" and come back in 6 months. After finding this site I bought my own meter (i got a SD codefree as the testing strips are some of the cheapest). I was absolutely shocked and horrified how my so called healthy diet was affecting my BG levels. I now "eat to my meter" testing new foods and seeing if they affect my BG.
No doubt you ave already read on the forums conflicting reports, some people can eat a slice of "normal" bread or eat porridge with only a small rise in their BG levels, others (like me) cant :-(
I am diet controlled and I really dont want to have any of the complications that my family members have.

Whilst it is always an individuals choice (and we are all individuals) I would strongly recommend you buy a meter and test how foods impact your BG levels.