Atorvastatin

lely

Hi guys just been prescribed atrovastatin and have read the list of side effects, not sure I should have.
One listed was a rise in blood sugar levels.
I was just wondering if others were on this medication and experience a rise in their levels.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
For me it has been nothing to worry about. I.e after meal tonight 9.2 and after midday meal 6.2. I manage what I eat etc and don't seem to suffer too badly from Atorvastatin. Give it a go - if things become too far off from what is normal for you go back to see your GP.

Reactions: 5 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with Alan, if you've been prescribed it you should take it and see how you get on, should you experience side-effects or notice a considerable rise in your bg levels then discuss things with your gp.

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I was rushed into hospital a year ago.
My meter couldn't handle the reading ... it's limit was 27.
I had dreadful pains in my legs .... banging head totally confused.
Six months before that I'd had the same .... no understandable reason.
Those two visits four different doctors said I was showing all the signs of being allergic to statins.
Tried them all because of the determination of my surgery that I was going to be taking that stuff whether I liked it or not.
I kept having similar reactions so stopped taking them.
Doctors tried to tell me I'd have a heart attack without them how can I expect to get my cholesterol under control blah blah.
Well ... I stopped ... I refused to take that stuff and to the utter dismay of my surgery team I started listening to a load of strangers on an internet site and switched my eating habits to LCHF.
Blood pressure down medication down.
Weight down.
Blood sugars under better control than any other diabetic patient at the practice.
Cholesterol .... down.
Good cholesterol .... up.

If it works for you stick with it is my humble advice but it wasn't for me.
I'll let you guess which strangers on which internet site I listened too ... and still listen to.

Reactions: 6 people

lely

@JACKTHELAD I've never had an allergic reaction to anything, touch wood. But there is always that chance which is why I read all the side effects.
I've been trying to eat lower carb. (30-40g) per meal. I can't go lower than that, wouldn't want to.
But I'm.eating loads more cheese and eggs and this must have an effect on my cholesterol.
Also waiting on BP 24hr test as now blood pressure is too high and it's in the family.
I'm not over weight. I go gym twice a week, 1-2 hours each visit, pilates once a week and swimming 2 a week for around 30 mins. I'm.a cleaner 5 days a week for up to six hours a day. I couldn't take on more activity if I wanted to.
So I'm doing all the right things it's just not worked for me. I hope this is trouble free, I'm sure I'll be back here asking more questions as the weeks.go on. Thanks

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
I have been on 80mg per day for past 4 years. Not had a problem with it.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I came off statins in May last year. Since then I have had 3 cholesterol tests, and each one has got better, better than when I was on statins. All I have done is eat low carb with more and more fat as time progressed. Oh and I've also lost a lot of weight, so may be that helped too. But that is just how it worked for me. Others may be different.

I came off statins, not because I had side effects, I didn't, but because of the potential rise in blood glucose levels. My husband is not diabetic but is on statins. He has to have a blood glucose test annually because he is on statins, no other reason.

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on this for a month, stopped taking simvastatin a year ago cos of horrible cramps in the night.

I'm having some very random dreams though, not had the calf / foot cramp i was getting. Not sure if any other side effects, but if it does cause BS's to go up, that's definitely happening but it might be that its coming off Victoza and taking small dose gliclizaide until i see the nurse next week.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Been on 80mg Atorvastatin for over a year. No problems yet.

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Been on Atorvastatin for a while with no ill effects, touch wood. Not affected my BS levels.

Unlike Simvastatin which caused muscle wastage and tons of aches and pains from which ive not fully recovered.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Been on Atorvastatin for a while with no ill effects, touch wood. Not affected my BS levels.

Unlike Simvastatin which caused muscle wastage and tons of aches and pains from which ive not fully recovered.

If you don't feel you've recovered yet, how do you know its not atoravastatin still giving you probs?

Last edited by a moderator:

Croc

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sea filth!
Because the problems I had with simvastatin improved very slightly when I stopped it but in the 2 years between stopping that and starting Atorvastatin, when I was taking no statin at all I didn't recover, ive only been on the latter since February and nothing has changed for better or worse.