Type 1 Attending parties , weddings.....etc

abcd99

How can diabetic attend a function like wedding in the family. How will he know what he should eat.....please give some guidance. Are carbs in chicken and vegetables also counted ???? as I have seen my son measuring carbs only for rice and bread.
Thanks.

Last edited:

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Depends on the veg. I would not count cauliflower but would count sweet corn...

Your son sounds like he is carb counting and managing his diabetes. He can attend any event - diabetes should not stop him.

It sounds like you are worrying about his treatment without totally understanding what he is doing. How old is he and have you asked how things work?

Reactions: abcd99

abcd99

Depends on the veg. I would not count cauliflower but would count sweet corn...

Your son sounds like he is carb counting and managing his diabetes. He can attend any event - diabetes should not stop him.

It sounds like you are worrying about his treatment without totally understanding what he is doing. How old is he and have you asked how things work?
You are absolutely right Daikat, I really don't understand anything on this subject as my son is very reserved nature. He become like this after he became adult. Not sharing anything with parents unless once in a blue moon when he was in good mood. We did not mind as long as he was happy. But since last 3 months he became diabetic type I to our surprise. His life changed, our life changed, but his nature is same.......he is struggling alone, managing alone, not sharing anything. He is very good boy, helping, honest hardworking but reserved. This is the reason why I have joined this form so that answers which I don't get from him, I can get from wonderful people like you all. My heart pains to think that if we attend some family get-together and he will not eat anything.........how will I swallow mine......I am so much worried.......I feel so helpless

D

Deleted Account

I have had type 1 diabetes for nearly 15 years. Over that time I have attended parties for birthdays, weddings, Christmas, christenings and a couple of funeral wakes (not related to diabetes). Having diabetes should not stop anyone attending parties and enjoying themselves ... and that includes drinking alcohol.

I was diagnosed in my 30s and made very little change to my lifestyle. The biggest change I made was to buy a handbag because I couldn't fit my diabetes paraphernalia in my pocket. I suspect men's pocket sizes are more suited to carrying "stuff".
But apart from the bag, my life carried on in the same way with the same amount of exercise, travel, work, food, fun, heartache, ... Sure, it takes a bit more planning and that handbag is very full when travelling but I have not come across anything I cannot do because I have diabetes.

At 26, your son sounds pretty independent. Diabetes should not take that away from him.
It's great that you want to learn as much as possible about his condition and understandable that, as a mother, you worry about him. But the only person who can manage their diabetes is the person with diabetes. Not parents, not partners, not doctors. They provide guidance when you visit ... they do not deal with the day to day management.

If you want to understand carb counting and some more about diabetes, perhaps it would be useful to look at the online Bertie course (https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/)

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
it does depend on the type of diabetes and your control. for a wedding i would probably just enjoy it and worry about numbers

abcd99

I have had type 1 diabetes for nearly 15 years. Over that time I have attended parties for birthdays, weddings, Christmas, christenings and a couple of funeral wakes (not related to diabetes). Having diabetes should not stop anyone attending parties and enjoying themselves ... and that includes drinking alcohol.

I was diagnosed in my 30s and made very little change to my lifestyle. The biggest change I made was to buy a handbag because I couldn't fit my diabetes paraphernalia in my pocket. I suspect men's pocket sizes are more suited to carrying "stuff".
But apart from the bag, my life carried on in the same way with the same amount of exercise, travel, work, food, fun, heartache, ... Sure, it takes a bit more planning and that handbag is very full when travelling but I have not come across anything I cannot do because I have diabetes.

At 26, your son sounds pretty independent. Diabetes should not take that away from him.
It's great that you want to learn as much as possible about his condition and understandable that, as a mother, you worry about him. But the only person who can manage their diabetes is the person with diabetes. Not parents, not partners, not doctors. They provide guidance when you visit ... they do not deal with the day to day management.

If you want to understand carb counting and some more about diabetes, perhaps it would be useful to look at the online Bertie course (https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/)
Thank you so much helen for your encouraging positive mail. It really gave me great relief. Would you like to tell me how do you manage , like if now you have to go to party......how will you start preparing........you don't even know what will they serve....you are not going to ask how may carbs are in particular dish. so how are things done........thanks for your help.

Last edited:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you so much helen for your encouraging positive mail. It really gave me great relief. Would you like to tell me how do you manage , like if now you have to go to party......how will you start preparing........you don't even know what will they serve....you are not going to ask how may crabs are in particular dish. so how are things done........thanks for your help.

Abcd, you lean the basic numbers in everyday items like an egg sized potato is 10g of carbs or a slice of bread is 12. you then work from what you know. Meat has 0 carbs unless its in batter/breadcrumbs, Veg is fairly low carb and generally unless its root veg I don't count it.

You get used to it and at the end of the day your son seems to have a handle on things. He can do almost everything he did before with the only drawbacks being a commercial pilot or joining the military but advances are being made there too.

Reactions: Madmaureen

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @abcd99 They are Carbs not crabs - short for carbohydrates. Being a diabetic does not mean he should not attend - I attend many events during the year, ride a bike, run, swim, ski, work full time, am a mum, being a type 1 diabetic does not prevent me from doing anything at all.

He should of been trained to carb count to match the food he eats to the insulin he takes, so as an adult should be able to do this - what are you concerned about exactly with this ? He will simply see what the food is then take the insulin he needs to cover the carbs he is about to eat, there is no preparation other than ensuring he takes his insulin pens, blood glucose meter and some fast acting glucose in case he goes low. I use 'carbs and cals' app on my phone to get an idea of carbs in food but I generally stick to low carb options at functions as it's easier to bolus for these, other than that he should go an have a good time :)

D

Deleted Account

Thank you so much helen for your encouraging positive mail. It really gave me great relief. Would you like to tell me how do you manage , like if now you have to go to party......how will you start preparing........you don't even know what will they serve....you are not going to ask how may crabs are in particular dish. so how are things done........thanks for your help.
I prepare by packing my insulin, my BG meter and my Glucotabs.
When I see food I guestimate how many carbs (not "crabs" ... I hope never to see crabs in my veggie meals :)) there are in what I eat and inject at the time.
Because I am estimating, I usually just count the big hitters - bread, cake, etc. Due to inaccuracies in my estimates, the rest balance out later. Especially if I am having a dance.
When at home, I usually inject 15 minutes before my meal but doing it on sight once a month is not going to cause diabetes complications.
If it is a buffet, I may decide how many carbs I am going to eat, inject and then select my plate for this many carbs but, as your son is just starting out, I would suggest he just injects for what is on his plate as it is easier.
Then a couple of hours later, I take a BG reading and make a correction if necessary.

Some people use apps such as Carbs and Cals to help with their estimations. I couldn't get on with this method: I am too impatient.

Bear in mind, all carb counting is an estimate. If you are eating a slice of cake when the total carbs is on the packet, this is an average - you may have a slice with more or less saltanas than average; if you are eating an apple which you have weighed and checked the % carbs, this is an average because the climate, soil, type of apple all make a different; ...
And you always have the chance to correct.

My approach to diabetes management is similar to my dental care.
I clean my teeth twice every day: when I get up and before I go to bed. OK, there are a couple of times a year, after a long day when all I want to do when I get home is go to bed and sleep. On these days (which are rare), I may go to bed without cleaning my teeth. This is not ideal as I realise the next morning with the taste of old socks in my mouth but my teeth are not going to fall out because I forgot to clean my teeth once in a blue moon.
Likewise, I am not going to get diabetes complications because I miscounted the number of carbs in a wedding buffet.

abcd99

Hi @abcd99 They are Carbs not crabs - short for carbohydrates. Being a diabetic does not mean he should not attend - I attend many events during the year, ride a bike, run, swim, ski, work full time, am a mum, being a type 1 diabetic does not prevent me from doing anything at all.

He should of been trained to carb count to match the food he eats to the insulin he takes, so as an adult should be able to do this - what are you concerned about exactly with this ? He will simply see what the food is then take the insulin he needs to cover the carbs he is about to eat, there is no preparation other than ensuring he takes his insulin pens, blood glucose meter and some fast acting glucose in case he goes low. I use 'carbs and cals' app on my phone to get an idea of carbs in food but I generally stick to low carb options at functions as it's easier to bolus for these, other than that he should go an have a good time :)
Thank you for your reply and thanks for correcting my spelling:). As you said, yes my son is doing all the things that are required to do, but not discussing with me.......I wish he was more open with parents. But now that so many people have answered my question and now that I know, my son can enjoy party like any other person, I feel great........thanks to all of you.

Reactions: Engineer88

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @abcd99 A wedding is an event to be enjoyed, just have a chat with him prior to the event to check he's ok and prepared for it - I appreciate this is all new to you but it's not a major issue unless you let it become one, so as long as he's ok with managing his insulin doses then you should all have a great time.

abcd99

I prepare by packing my insulin, my BG meter and my Glucotabs.
When I see food I guestimate how many carbs (not "crabs" ... I hope never to see crabs in my veggie meals :)) there are in what I eat and inject at the time.
Because I am estimating, I usually just count the big hitters - bread, cake, etc. Due to inaccuracies in my estimates, the rest balance out later. Especially if I am having a dance.
When at home, I usually inject 15 minutes before my meal but doing it on sight once a month is not going to cause diabetes complications.
If it is a buffet, I may decide how many carbs I am going to eat, inject and then select my plate for this many carbs but, as your son is just starting out, I would suggest he just injects for what is on his plate as it is easier.
Then a couple of hours later, I take a BG reading and make a correction if necessary.

Some people use apps such as Carbs and Cals to help with their estimations. I couldn't get on with this method: I am too impatient.

Bear in mind, all carb counting is an estimate. If you are eating a slice of cake when the total carbs is on the packet, this is an average - you may have a slice with more or less saltanas than average; if you are eating an apple which you have weighed and checked the % carbs, this is an average because the climate, soil, type of apple all make a different; ...
And you always have the chance to correct.

My approach to diabetes management is similar to my dental care.
I clean my teeth twice every day: when I get up and before I go to bed. OK, there are a couple of times a year, after a long day when all I want to do when I get home is go to bed and sleep. On these days (which are rare), I may go to bed without cleaning my teeth. This is not ideal as I realise the next morning with the taste of old socks in my mouth but my teeth are not going to fall out because I forgot to clean my teeth once in a blue moon.
Likewise, I am not going to get diabetes complications because I miscounted the number of carbs in a wedding buffet.
Yes I corrected the spelling:).... Thanks for your detailed mail. I think I have started to understand slowly...........one should make choice of food, guess how many carbs are there, take insulin, eat food, check sugar again after 10 minutes , if you see you are going high, take some more insulin.........right........or wrong......please tell.......thanks.

abcd99

Abcd, you lean the basic numbers in everyday items like an egg sized potato is 10g of carbs or a slice of bread is 12. you then work from what you know. Meat has 0 carbs unless its in batter/breadcrumbs, Veg is fairly low carb and generally unless its root veg I don't count it.

You get used to it and at the end of the day your son seems to have a handle on things. He can do almost everything he did before with the only drawbacks being a commercial pilot or joining the military but advances are being made there too.
Thank you for your reply . I have started to understand things slowly with replies that I am reading here. I understand that you are using pump........can I ask , how are you feeling with pump......is it better than pen........thanks.

D

Deleted Account

Yes I corrected the spelling:).... Thanks for your detailed mail. I think I have started to understand slowly...........one should make choice of food, guess how many carbs are there, take insulin, eat food, check sugar again after 10 minutes , if you see you are going high, take some more insulin.........right........or wrong......please tell.......thanks.
Nearly ... it takes much longer than 10 minutes for the glucose from carbs to get into your blood stream and longer than 10 minutes for insulin to start acting after it has been injected.
The most common fast acting insulin can be in your system for four hours and carbs eaten with fatting foods (e.g. pizza) can take as long to get into your blood stream.
The usual advice is not to correct for the first 2 hours after taking insulin and, after 2 hours, assume 50% of your last insulin dose is still acting.
So, not 10 minutes, at least 2 hours unless your son is feeling "off".

Reactions: Engineer88

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

10 mins would be too soon, you would be looking at more like a couple of hours post eating, but I wouldn't bother at a wedding!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you for your reply . I have started to understand things slowly with replies that I am reading here. I understand that you are using pump........can I ask , how are you feeling with pump......is it better than pen........thanks.

That's very much up to your son to decide, a pump can be hard work especially if you are getting good control with injections.

I like my pump and it helps my very brittle D a lot. I didn't do well on injections, everyone is different though.

abcd99

Hi @abcd99 A wedding is an event to be enjoyed, just have a chat with him prior to the event to check he's ok and prepared for it - I appreciate this is all new to you but it's not a major issue unless you let it become one, so as long as he's ok with managing his insulin doses then you should all have a great time.
Yes that is what we need.........to talk........may be I will take appointment and permission from him to talk to him:) . If only he will agree, things will become so easy........I hope he starts enjoying life again like you all do....God bless all of you and my son too........thanks.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Talk to your son. Ask him to explain how it works. Be interested without telling him you are worried.