B/S 1 hour after meal

alf15

I was wondering what is a normal 1 hour blood sugar reading after meal, even with people without type 1.

Say my b/s is 6 before a meal and i take my novapaid insulin injection. How high should my b/s go 1 hour after meal.

My 2 hr readings normally come in around the same as before my meal, but i was just wondering how high it actually gets 1 hr or so after a meal.

Thanks

Alan

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try it!
A non-diabetic will probably be back down to the pre meal level by then. For a diabetic on basal/bolus, if you get your medication right, there will be no spike. If you don't, the level after an hour is near the highest you will reach.

jopar

alfi15

It looks as though you are covering your meals with your insulin correctly, so there is little or no need to worry about the 1 hours reading... These would fall in range this is why many T1 diabetic do not tend to test at the 1 hours mark..

The only time to test at this point is if you trying to work out why you make hypo then go high several hours down the line, as this would be used to determin whether the protien or fat content of your food is causeing what is termed as the pizza effect, the carbs are asorbing slower than the insulin this sends you low or hypo, then you go high..

But if you are having good reading before and 2 hours after a meal, I wouldn't personally be too worried what the 1 hour reading is..

alf15

Thanks for the advice, i just worry to much i guess about spiking.

Jopar - can you expand a lilttle on the pizza effect? Does this only happen with Pizza? My nurse only touched on it alittle, not that id big a massive fan of pizza just be good to know.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
The pizza effect is explained here as
Foods that have a high fat content (i.e., over 25 g), such as pizza, peanuts, and ice cream, can cause a delayed blood glucose spike. The fat in these foods slows the absorption of carbohydrates, which can result in normal levels two to three hours after eating and elevated blood glucose up to eight hours after.

Hope this helps.

Regards, Tubs.

alf15

Thanks tubolard. Thats good to know, even though I dont eat pizza or ice cream any more.

But do eat peanuts whenever I was having a few bottles of beer on a night out to keep the b/s up.

Thanks

Alan

lilibet

I had home made lasagne,with 2/3 of a lasagne (wholemeal) sheet with the veg,chicken etc.

Bg was fine at two hours but peaked after three. There was no way it was more than 25g carbs worth of pasta cause 100g is 28g carbs. Bloody annoying, esp as on premix and cant correct

Then when Im starving I dont want to eat to raise bg again

caitycakes1

Hi Lilibet,

Why not ask your DSN for plain fast-acting insulin for correctional purposes. I have some but haven't had to use it. Also I feel better knowing I have it for when I have my first "sick" day.

Caitycakes x