b12

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
im on b12 injections at the moment
is it possible to have it in tablet form
Are you taking Metformin? It is said that taking Metformin long term can deplete B12 levels because it stops absorption from food, and in that case taking B12 orally is no use, it has to be by injection.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I take B12 as a spray that absorbs directly through the mucosal membranes of the mouth. Made by Betteryou. My levels are still always at the low end of normal though instead of at the high end as they were before Metformin.

Reactions: Brunneria

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take B12 as a spray that absorbs directly through the mucosal membranes of the mouth. Made by Betteryou. My levels are still always at the low end of normal though instead of at the high end as they were before Metformin.
Is your GP willing to get your B12 levels tested?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
im on b12 injections at the moment
is it possible to have it in tablet form

As you are on injections, have you monitored your B12 intake from food or vitamin supplements?
Theres two main causes of B12 depletion..1) is from pernicious anaemia or from dietary -not eating enough.
And of course some drugs like metformin can reducd it too.

Normally if dietary then it can be supplemented by vitamin tablets... best ones will contain methyl cobalamin.

For pernicious anaemia it is normally life long injections... going from weekly andd gradually reducing down to 3 monthly.

My mum has B12 under target but GP is prescribing a liquid dose...weekly. No idea what its brand or name is though.

I did have injections but a welsh gp stopped them. Then they climbed hugely without injections... high B12 as in mega high canindicate cancer. I did have cancer. When it was removed my b12 dropped immediately. It dropped again to just above target when my 2nd cancer removed. I am only supplementing with b12 tablets at moment to see if that will be enough.

Look at food intake for B12 and try to eat plenty of it.

Have you asked GP what they think cause is? Ie pernicious anaemia?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use dissolving tablets that are held under the tongue so that the B12 is absorbed through the surrounding skin.
Is it skin in the mouth? I think Dr Snoddy mentioned membranes.

Anyway, it works well that way.

There are different versions of B12 available in tablet form, and I understand that the most effective form is cyanocobalamin.

The doses are, of course, smaller than when injected, but then the injections are only every few weeks or months, and the tablets can be taken daily.

Reactions: donnellysdogs

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I think it may depend on the cause of the deficiency. My elderly mum's blood screen said her Vit. B12 was low. The GP said it was often a dietary problem and prescribed tablets for 3 months then will retest. If the tablets don't raise the levels to normal he will use the injections.

Last edited: