background insulin

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi my diabetic nurse put my night time background insulin levemir from 4 to 5 units last thursday and its made no difference at all to my morning readings which are between 9 and 10 im not seeing her for 2 weeks what do i do shall i ring her monday do i increase it myself or just wait till i see her

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would ring her monday and let her advise you to put it up and by how much.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Rather than wait another 2 weeks I would ring her tomorrow and give her your bg readings, 5 units is still quite a low dose and it may need increasing again.

Reactions: 2 people

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Give her a call and ask what she prefers you do. My nurse told me i was free to adjust my own doses as i saw fit, obviously this happened after she educated me on how to know if i need more or less, and what to look for. Since that i have been adjusting it up or down as need be without issue. Your background (basal) insulin will likely need adjustments every so often anyway, maybe ask her to show you have to do it yourself and that way you arent stuck with high readings for weeks waiting to get a hold of her?

brontebailey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
hi i rang her this morning and she told me to put it up from 5 to 6 so we will see if that makes a difference x