1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Backwards step

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by rhubarb73, Jun 12, 2019.

1. rhubarb73

rhubarb73 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Grrrr.
    HbA1c gone from 40 to 42. No apparent reason. Good adherence to low carb. Could go lower still I suppose.
    Need to have a long think, but this is the first measurable backwards step in my T2 experience.
    Not a big backwards step but not one I can ignore. Feeling a bit downhearted and grumpy about it. Doctor wants me back on Metformin but I feel it's too early for that.
    Harummph.

• Hug Hug x 12
  2. wiflib

wiflib Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Blasted annoying isn’t it. I feel your pain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. hankjam

hankjam Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

In the scale of things I would take that as noise in the process...
    :)

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Expert
    Staff Member Administrator

Rhubarb, whilst I feel your frustration, I would ask you to take a bit of a step back and think about it, maybe a little differently?

When I had my first repeat HbA1c, post diagnosis, I was rather astonished to see my score go from 73 to 37 in 4 months. Once I had recoverd my dropped jaw, I had a little chat with myself. My conclusion was that it is impractical for A1cs to drop, and drop every time, because there's probably on;y so low anyone can go, and still enjoy the life that wraps around any blood score, never mind the fact that illness, stress, and so on can impact in ways we can do absolutely nothing about.

On that basis, I decided I would have a range I would find acceptable. That range would be reviewed immediately after each A1c. In reality, these days, I never set a downward acceptable number, because I'm likely about there, but I always have an upper range. Provided I arrive within that range, I'm good to go.

There will always be "stuff" that puts flies in our metaphoric ointment. There'll be times when, given what else life is throwing our way, we just can't try or do any better.

Now, of course, if we also have a period where we know we've been a bit more sla=dash than ideal, then that too might be time for a little self-talking to.

Please consider trying not to concentrate on a single number. I know it helped me relax enormously.

• Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I can understand you feeling downhearted and grumpy, but to be honest, there is very little difference. Labs round up and down to give a whole number. Your 40 could have been 40.5. Your 42 could be 41.5. I believe those results maybe within the expected error rate of HbA1c results. Try to look at it that way. I know it is difficult, because I have felt the same as yourself when mine has increased slightly. But without changing a thing, they dropped at the next test.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. ert

ert Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I understand your pain. My last HbA1c at 6.3% or 45 mmol/mol is averaging 7.3 mmol/l. It may be under the magical cutoff of 6.5% but it's way higher than a normal person. I'm worried that I'm still damaging myself. And I know the 3-monthly blood results I receive tomorrow will be worse.

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. pavlosn

pavlosn Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I really do not think that there is a significant difference between an A1C of 40 and 42. For all we know this probably within the labs measuring error I.e repeating the test on the same sample of blood would probably result in different outcomes reported within a range of plus or minus x mmol so that effectively a result of 40 or 42 could be indistinguishable

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. poemagraphic

poemagraphic Type 2 · Well-Known Member

GET SAD, GET ANGRY, GET CALM, GET A PLAN, GET IN CONTROL, GET BETTER

• Like Like x 1
  9. poemagraphic

Great advice for a young'un DCUK
    well actually for an old'un like me as well.
    Po

• Like Like x 2
  10. rhubarb73

Touché

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. rhubarb73

All good advice thanks- my doc wants me back on Metformin. I am resisting.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Bluetit1802

With an HbA1c of 42, which is only just in the pre-diabetic range, I cannot understand why he wants you on medication. If it were your first ever HbA1c you wouldn't be prescribed it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rhubarb73

That’s what I told him

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bluetit1802

Good man!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Caeseji

Caeseji Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Like everyone else has said, it's not that dramatic a shift at all and I would say you're doing damn well all things considered.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Marie 2

Marie 2 LADA · Well-Known Member

It's not that big of a difference!! I know you were hoping it would go down instead of up, but it happens. Change it for the next time!!!

But I also like to tell everyone that has been diagnosed as a type 2, that if they are doing everything right and their numbers continue to get worse, you could be a misdiagnosed type 1. It has happened to so many of us, just keep it in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

It may feel disappointing - but I'd agree that it's not a significant increase - so try to look on it as an achievement in keeping relatively stable instead! I believe our bodies can reach a preferred comfort range which may not necessarily be where we'd choose it to be. We aren't robots living in controlled laboratory conditions so I don't believe we can realistically expect perfect figures, or particularly ever decreasing ones.

I've bounced around between 40 and 43 for the last five+ years, with a couple of slightly higher blips due to health and stress issues beyond my control, and I'd only ever start to worry if I saw a trend in steadily increasing figures. (And my GP is happy with those figures and no more meds!)

Robbity

PS As for your GP wanting you back on metformin, give them a smack around the head with a wet kipper from all of us!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. DavidGrahamJones

DavidGrahamJones Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Master

Hey mate.. been out all day and just seen your post.. sorry to hear but hey its hardly a huge difference and I know you'll double down and get back to it.
    Wonder if it might have something to do with the running? Maybe extreme exercise has pushed your average BG up a bit which has led to a higher HbA1c? Just a thought..

• Like Like x 1
  20. poemagraphic

Just quoting the young master ;)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook