Bacon and eggs anyone?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is an alternative perspective, just to show how maleable and selective this information is:

It is an accessible and entertaining talk by Georgia Edes on the WHO report, explaining the sources they used, and the amount of evidence drawn on.

From a personal point of view, i don’t actually eat much bacon. We buy maybe a pack a month between the two of us. And I dislike the preservative ‘tang’ that comes with most processed meats. Occasional chorizo crisps (home crisped). Rarely a slice a ham or tongue. My main objection is to the media circus and selective info that finds its way to the front pages.

The one ‘processed meat’ we seem to eat regularly is minced beef or lamb. I process it at home by adding a little sea salt and shaping it into meatballs or burger patties and cooking them myself.

Of course, I wouldn’t object if the media spread their favours a little wider to other processed foods.
I mean, no one really believes that multi-seed crackers baked in veg oil and sprinkled with powdered chemical flavours are good for us, do they?
Or fruit flavoured concentrates that have no fruit content at all?
Or ‘meat free, bacon flavour’ soya nuggets to sprinkle on our healthy salads?

jwd1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As my bacon usually emerges from the freezer as I grumble at myself for forgetting to defrost it, I put it into the pan and boil it to defrost and that also takes out salt and soluble preservatives. Once I can separate the rashers I sieve them out and cook normally, but I expect that a lot of unwanted stuff goes down the drain.
I'm really in trouble then, eat lots of bacon, ham and Polish sausage to help make up my daily fat quotas :-(

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From my own perspective, the fact that 8000 odd people are killed on British roads in a year does not stop me being a passenger or driver on those roads.

Does it stop any of you?

Interestingly, more of those people are killed by drivers that go through green lights, than red lights.
It won't start me gong through red though to join in.

I'll have a Macci D though, I'll eat there breakfast bacon as well.
So I guess I'm controlling the big D, and not worrying about the big C either.

Pay your money, take your choice eh?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is an alternative perspective, just to show how maleable and selective this information is:

It is an accessible and entertaining talk by Georgia Edes on the WHO report, explaining the sources they used, and the amount of evidence drawn on.

From a personal point of view, i don’t actually eat much bacon. We buy maybe a pack a month between the two of us. And I dislike the preservative ‘tang’ that comes with most processed meats. Occasional chorizo crisps (home crisped). Rarely a slice a ham or tongue. My main objection is to the media circus and selective info that finds its way to the front pages.

The one ‘processed meat’ we seem to eat regularly is minced beef or lamb. I process it at home by adding a little sea salt and shaping it into meatballs or burger patties and cooking them myself.

Of course, I wouldn’t object if the media spread their favours a little wider to other processed foods.
I mean, no one really believes that multi-seed crackers baked in veg oil and sprinkled with powdered chemical flavours are good for us, do they?
Many thanks for that link.. I think that was what I have been trying to find.. not very helpful as I was looking for an article rather than a video.... duh!

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

Thanks - entertaining and informative.

Also a massive warning not to trust most big studies because they all have their own agenda.
If the WHO can't be trusted not to publish politically motivated studies, then who can you trust?
Drug companies cherry pick the results they publish.

One big point - the study tried to flag up the charring of meat as a cause of cancer, without in any way addressing everything from toast to char grilled vegetables, chicken and fish.

Did you like the way they injected the rats with a carcinogen just to "help things along a bit"? They still didn't get cancer.

Dark Horse

As I have said many times before until people are locked up and fed precise things there are no "good" or "reliable" nutritional studies or statistics. It is all open to interpretation and misinterpretation. The IARC study was a combination of data from about 800 other studies which I have no specific knowledge of but I can assure you that hardly any (and probably none) were carried out under precise enough conditions to give anything like enough evidence for their claims because those studies haven't been done in the last 40 years. The study was done by the IARC which is an independent branch of the WHO and so far as I know all the statements claimed to be from the WHO are in fact from the IARC. I recall reading an excellent rebuttal of the IARC study which I have been searching for but cannot unfortunately find.
This one from Reuters is the closest I can get but not the one I was looking for
https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/health-who-iarc/

I'm glad you have however proved my point that the definition of "processed" meat is all encompassing and could be seen to contain a multitude of nasties as well as slightly tampered with fresh meat. In fact looking at that definition a steak with salt and pepper on has become "processed meat" in a similar way to a McDonalds chicken nugget or a tin of spam.
Processed meat is 'meat that has been transformed through salting' - it's referring to meat that has been preserved by the addition of large quantities of salt, it doesn't refer to meat where salt is added at table.

I agree that nutritional studies are enormously difficult to get useful results from, for a number of reasons.

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Who cares what we can argue that the meaning of the study is hogwash.

Eat carbs, die.
Eat bacon, die
Eat Big Mac's, die

Who needs to ponce about justifying why everyone should agree with your choice?

If you need to be right, you're not happy are you?

Me, I'm happy in a Macci

Reactions: Fleegle

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Processed meat is 'meat that has been transformed through salting' - it's referring to meat that has been preserved by the addition of large quantities of salt, it doesn't refer to meat where salt is added at table.

I agree that nutritional studies are enormously difficult to get useful results from, for a number of reasons.

"other processes to enhance flavour or improve preservation." that seems to be a catch all and from it I have no idea what they including in the "processed" category and to be honest if they did look at 800 studies and cherry picked a few I doubt they know what processed meant either as I bet all the studies had different criteria. Yes I'll freely admit I have a bias towards eating bacon and sausages because I like them and am happy to take the "risks".

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I somehow doubt that nitrite (?) free meats which have only been processed through salting are a large percentage of the processed meats they are talking about here

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
"other processes to enhance flavour or improve preservation." that seems to be a catch all and from it I have no idea what they including in the "processed" category and to be honest if they did look at 800 studies and cherry picked a few I doubt they know what processed meant either as I bet all the studies had different criteria. Yes I'll freely admit I have a bias towards eating bacon and sausages because I like them and am happy to take the "risks".
ooohhhh - you dare devil......

putting the Rash into Rashers!!! ;)

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Fairly easy.
Unprocessed - dead animal, pull a bit off - eat it
Processed - dead animal, mash it into a tube, slice it up, pack it full of un animal chemicals, change it's shape, crack on bacon is as good as a turkey twizzler, get the punters that buy it to sell it on.

But, make your choice.

You like the taste of carbs, don't justify it, eat it.
You like the taste of bacon, don't justify it, eat it

Let's not run round saying cancer/diabetes, I don t want either to be honest.

But, we're all free to choose aren't we.

Reactions: Fleegle
D

Deleted member 308541

As my bacon usually emerges from the freezer as I grumble at myself for forgetting to defrost it,
I have just remembered to get a 1 kilo pack out of the freezer for breakfast. I will cut a chunk off and then defrost it in the microwave.

The bacon we buy is called Cooking Bacon which is a mix of sliced and pieces of bacon, it's got all of that goodness the OP is on about.

At $7.50 a kilo it's good with omelettes, and bacon sarnies done in a low carb wrap.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
A quote from Marie Antoinette.

What bacon!

Let them eat Gammon!

Anyway, it's typical bull (pig) propaganda from the usual sources of misinformation.
(Read 'Animal Farm')!

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just remembered to get a 1 kilo pack out of the freezer for breakfast. I will cut a chunk off and then defrost it in the microwave.

The bacon we buy is called Cooking Bacon which is a mix of sliced and pieces of bacon, it's got all of that goodness the OP is on about.

At $7.50 a kilo it's good with omelettes, and bacon sarnies done in a low carb wrap.
Good with a cigarette?
Asking for a friend

D

Deleted member 308541

Good with a cigarette?
Asking for a friend
I have not indulged in nicotine for twenty five years or more so would not know what you are infering.

Tell your friend to get a life and give nicotine away.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Posts have been deleted from this thread for picking arguments.

Please, everyone stay civil, or there will be further intervention by mods.