Bad experience with home HbA1c test

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m not sure if this is the right place to post but can’t see anywhere better.

I‘ve been in the prediabetic range on my last two HbA1c test. I’m just over three months on from my last one and my surgery won’t retest until mid November so I thought I’d try a home test. I really wish I hadn’t bothered.

It was so hard to get the amount of blood they needed, made worse by the fact that I’d decided to get my cholesterol tested at the same time having changed my diet to low carb high fat.

I now have three extremely sore fingers and as it took me so long to extract the blood I’m not sure either of the test are going to give an accurate result. I won’t be buying one again that’s for sure!

Has anyone else tried the home tests and had any problems. To add insult to injury I used to work as a phlebotomist :confused:

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not tried this. Out of interest, what's the acceptable error on the test?

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've not tried this. Out of interest, what's the acceptable error on the test?
Hi Kenny, this is what they say with regards to accuracy.

Results accuracy​

By collecting your blood sample properly, your results should be reliable and accurate — our easy to follow instructions will guide you through it.

The labs we work with run validation tests on all finger-prick blood samples before making them available.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kenny, this is what they say with regards to accuracy.

Results accuracy​

By collecting your blood sample properly, your results should be reliable and accurate — our easy to follow instructions will guide you through it.

The labs we work with run validation tests on all finger-prick blood samples before making them available.
So they don't tell you what it is. The standard "lab" HbA1c seems to have an acceptable error of between 3-6%, depending on whose standards you use. There has been pressure in the US to relax standards and allow error of 10%, specifically to permit the sale of home HbA1c kits, so I was curious about the allowable error for these.

• Useful
Reactions: AloeSvea

pumas

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
When I did a home test, it came with a much bigger pricker, which let out much more blood. Are sure yours didn't come with one?

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
When I did a home test, it came with a much bigger pricker, which let out much more blood. Are sure yours didn't come with one?
It did, but I still didn’t bleed enough. It’s more of a small amount knife blade than a needle. I only know because I broke one open.

I‘ve always been slow to give blood when I go to donate so maybe it’s just me.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So they don't tell you what it is. The standard "lab" HbA1c seems to have an acceptable error of between 3-6%, depending on whose standards you use. There has been pressure in the US to relax standards and allow error of 10%, specifically to permit the sale of home HbA1c kits, so I was curious about the allowable error for these.
No, nothing that gave figures. I should have stayed clear but it looked like a good thing when I saw it and I have read on hear of others using them. They get good reviews too.

clarejenkins

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Salad as makes me vomit, all raw vegetables, nuts etc give me indigestion
I use medicheck for home testing. You need to send it back for analysis. They send a full report very quickly

Reactions: Grace04

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Never done a home HbA1c test but I did order one for folate testing after my surgery didn't follow the NHS/NICE guidance on prescribing folic acid (ie too short a course and no follow-up).
I searched very carefully before offering my money, looking for independent reviews and reports on the various firms.
I struggled to get enough blood out and had to make two holes as the first started to clot before I'd got enough blood in the tube. However, I was happy with the test result as it correlated with my low folate symptoms.
The firm agreed to send my results directly to my surgery and I was given a new prescription by the GP a couple of days later.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve done a couple of home fingerprick checks for other things. The first one was as you describe, not enough blood, bruised and sore. And to top it off the sample haemolysed so was pointless. Just recently did a second one. This time I hydrated for England first, soaked my whole hand in hot water, massaged from the palm down, and blood filled the tube in seconds. Massive difference. The lancet is much bigger than a glucometer one and it was a little sore for a day or so after but nothing like first time where my squeezing made the brushing so much worse. Got a result this time too.

• Informative
Reactions: Grace04 and Outlier

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have used these home tests for several things in the past - some where the results are available to me at home, a prescribed number of minutes after testing and some sent off for lab analysis.

I must admit never to have done more that one vial at a time, but the kitchen (my chosen bleeding zone) usually looks like there's been some heinous crime in the recent past. I never have trouble giving blood, or having blood drawn. Based on how proudly the sit up, I reckon the phlebotomist could find a vein from the doorway!

@KennyA - in terms of accuracy, I have found Medichecks, Blue Horizon, MonitorMyHealth and A1cNow+ tests to be very aligned with results I would expect from NHS labs.

As a matter of detail, MonitorMyHealth tests are done at the Exeter NHS Trusts hospital lab.

Grace04

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, thank you for your replies.

I did the soaking my hand in hot water first and massaged it, that's really hard to do while you're trying to keep whatever minuscule amount of blood does drip into the vial!

If I do try again at some point I'll maybe give Medichecks a go being as few of you rate them.

I had my results back this afternoon. I'm still not sure whether to believe them or not given the problems I encountered getting the samples.

For what it's worth they say my HbA1c is 38. I was previously 44. I've been eating low carb and high fat so I would hope it's around there but I won't be sure now until it's repeated at my surgery in November.

My cholesterol was not so good. This is how that went:

Tryglycerides - 1.4
Total Cholesterol - 6.9
HDL Cholesterol - 2.6
LDL Cholesterol - 3.7
Non-LDL Cholesterol - 4.3
Total Cholesterol to HDL Cholesterol Ratio - 2.7

I don't know where this was before I went LCHF so, unfortunately, I don't know if the high fat part of the diet is having an effect.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, thank you for your replies.

I did the soaking my hand in hot water first and massaged it, that's really hard to do while you're trying to keep whatever minuscule amount of blood does drip into the vial!

If I do try again at some point I'll maybe give Medichecks a go being as few of you rate them.

I had my results back this afternoon. I'm still not sure whether to believe them or not given the problems I encountered getting the samples.

For what it's worth they say my HbA1c is 38. I was previously 44. I've been eating low carb and high fat so I would hope it's around there but I won't be sure now until it's repeated at my surgery in November.

My cholesterol was not so good. This is how that went:

Tryglycerides - 1.4
Total Cholesterol - 6.9
HDL Cholesterol - 2.6
LDL Cholesterol - 3.7
Non-LDL Cholesterol - 4.3
Total Cholesterol to HDL Cholesterol Ratio - 2.7

I don't know where this was before I went LCHF so, unfortunately, I don't know if the high fat part of the diet is having an effect.

Unless you use a Medichecks venous blood draw test, their lancets and vials are just the same as any others I have used.

If you do use venous blood, you can either visit a clinic (often at a Nuffield or such like) or make your own arrangements. You could probably find an old colleague to do it for you, but locally, here, we have a mobile phlebotomist who can come to the house. £15 for the blood draw - all very professional and efficient.

When both of us has blood drawn, the second person was just £5.