EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Did anyone try basal bolus mix in one injection?

Not a good idea if you're using modern insulins such as lantus/glargine, as it reacts with the fat in your body (or something like that) so as to make it last 24 hours and I think mixing insulins might mess up its timing. And the instructions specifically tell you not to mix it.

In the old days (40 years ago) when I was on a mixture of animal insulins, I used to do them both in the same injection.....

What kind of insulins are you taking?

Edited to add : but there are insulin regimes where you take a mixture of short and long acting insulin and just match your food to your insulin (fixed meal times and fixed carb amounts) and I believe those use mixed doses of short and long acting insulin (or did when I was a child and on them).

Golden-girl

I am on i- glarlixi which is a new insulin mix of basal and fast acting

Not a good idea if you're using modern insulins such as lantus/glargine, as it reacts with the fat in your body (or something like that) so as to make it last 24 hours and I think mixing insulins might mess up its timing. And the instructions specifically tell you not to mix it.

In the old days (40 years ago) when I was on a mixture of animal insulins, I used to do them both in the same injection.....

What kind of insulins are you taking?

Edited to add : but there are insulin regimes where you take a mixture of short and long acting insulin and just match your food to your insulin (fixed meal times and fixed carb amounts) and I believe those use mixed doses of short and long acting insulin (or did when I was a child and on them).

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs

Interesting, looks to be more of a T2 drug. Are you T1 or T2? I was assuming you were T1 because you were posting on the T1 forum at one point, but if you are T2 there are more options available for improving your hba1c etc.

Golden-girl

I am T1 and my doctor told me that it can be used in T1
Interesting, looks to be more of a T2 drug. Are you T1 or T2? I was assuming you were T1 because you were posting on the T1 forum at one point, but if you are T2 there are more options available for improving your hba1c etc.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I am T1 and my doctor told me that it can be used in T1
All the references I can find refer to T2, but I'm not a doctor and rely on google rather than medical knowledge. Will you be having just one injection a day?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was on such a mix form 1999 to 2008..........Humilin M3 or something like that....

This type of insulin is still prescribed but it doesn't suit the modern human...

Reactions: mike@work

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Having Google'd it iGlarLixi looks like it should not be used for T1

It looks to be 'iGlarLixi: A New Once-Daily Fixed-Ratio Combination of Basal Insulin Glargine and Lixisenatide for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes' (taken from https://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/2/145)

Lixisenatide looks like its one of those drugs that forces your pancreas to output more insulin - well that's not going to do anything for a T1 (who isn't still in their honeymoon period)

And elsewhere I've seen it said: 'Insulin glargine and lixisenatide is a combination medicine that is used together with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes. insulin glargine and lixisenatide is not for treating type 1 diabetes.' (from https://www.drugs.com/mtm/insulin-glargine-and-lixisenatide.html)

Obviously these might not be accurate (as you can rarely guarantee anything on the internet is), but it definitely does not look like it's for T1.

As well as that going back to mixed insulin is a bit of a step backwards for many T1's and for many would be far too restrictive

Reactions: Diakat

Golden-girl

thank you for your valuable information. I think I have to consult another diabetologist
Having Google'd it iGlarLixi looks like it should not be used for T1

It looks to be 'iGlarLixi: A New Once-Daily Fixed-Ratio Combination of Basal Insulin Glargine and Lixisenatide for the Management of Type 2 Diabetes' (taken from https://spectrum.diabetesjournals.org/content/31/2/145)

Lixisenatide looks like its one of those drugs that forces your pancreas to output more insulin - well that's not going to do anything for a T1 (who isn't still in their honeymoon period)

And elsewhere I've seen it said: 'Insulin glargine and lixisenatide is a combination medicine that is used together with diet and exercise to improve blood sugar control in adults with type 2 diabetes. insulin glargine and lixisenatide is not for treating type 1 diabetes.' (from https://www.drugs.com/mtm/insulin-glargine-and-lixisenatide.html)

Obviously these might not be accurate (as you can rarely guarantee anything on the internet is), but it definitely does not look like it's for T1.

As well as that going back to mixed insulin is a bit of a step backwards for many T1's and for many would be far too restrictive

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Interesting choice of mix @Golden-girl , especially for a T1. Can you please tell us a bit, about your experience and opinions about this mix. Does it keep your sugars in balance, how is it compared to possibly other Insulins or insulinmixes you have used before? Are you possibly still in a "Honeymoon"-phase, which maybe could better explain why you are put on this mix?

Edited to put in a P.S. I mix, but I use old Hypurin Porcine-kind of insulins daytimes, which I mix, and take Tresiba nightime - you could of course call that a mix in a mix also (yes I know, some of you would call it not a mix but a mess, but this works for me :D. As you know, we are all different etc...)

Last edited:

Golden-girl

my sugar always high , so I asked here other people experiences to know if my high sugar due to bad insulin or bad life style mangment
Interesting choice of mix @Golden-girl , especially for a T1. Can you please tell us a bit, about your experience and opinions about this mix. Does it keep your sugars in balance, how is it compared to possibly other Insulins or insulinmixes you have used before? Are you possibly still in a "Honeymoon"-phase, which maybe could better explain why you are put on this mix?

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again @Golden-girl .

As @Rokaab already pointed out, your mix seem to be more meant for type 2s. The following is from Wiki "Lixisenatide is a once-daily injectable GLP-1 receptor agonist for the treatment of diabetes type II." So even if GLP-1 is supposed to have some effect on type 1s also, your mix is probably not able to compete with a basal/bolus regime, with long-acting and fast (short)-acting insulin. We are NOT able to make any diagnoses here, and there could be many for us unknown factors yet not mentioned here, but I think that without a fast-acting insulin to cover your meals, you will have difficulties keeping your BSL down (Bsl - BloodSugar Level). In your case, I'd have a talk with my GP/doctor/corresponding, and ask for opinions about some type of short-acting insulin. That should not negate the use of a GLP-1 agonist, if seen as important in your case.

Edited to put up this link / short (very) about GLP-1 and type 1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23955813

Last edited:

Golden-girl

thank you Mike, I will consult another doctor tomorrow
Hello again @Golden-girl .

As @Rokaab already pointed out, your mix seem to be more meant for type 2s. The following is from Wiki "Lixisenatide is a once-daily injectable GLP-1 receptor agonist for the treatment of diabetes type II." So even if GLP-1 is supposed to have some effect on type 1s also, your mix is probably not able to compete with a basal/bolus regime, with long-acting and fast (short)-acting insulin. We are NOT able to make any diagnoses here, and there could be many for us unknown factors yet not mentioned here, but I think that without a fast-acting insulin to cover your meals, you will have difficulties keeping your BSL down (Bsl - BloodSugar Level). In your case, I'd have a talk with my GP/doctor/corresponding, and ask for opinions about some type of short-acting insulin. That should not negate the use of a GLP-1 agonist, if seen as important in your case.

Edited to put up this link / short (very) about GLP-1 and type 1
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23955813