Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
I take my background insulin twice a day then take my fast acting insulin with food or if in need of some.......
I'm a seasoned pro of 44 years and yet.......

I can't tell which is which....either could be either.....the labels just won't sink in.
Am I basaling or bolusing I don't know....

Does anyone else struggle with this ?

Tony

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I say in my head BOWLUS. I have breakfast in a BOWL and need to bolus for that......does that even make sense lol

Reactions: Sweetheart66

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I say in my head BOWLUS. I have breakfast in a BOWL and need to bolus for that......does that even make sense lol

You have bowled me over with that one.....

I think the bolus bonus idea of mels might help.

Tony

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In my head the basal's my baseline/background insulin or the night-time jab and the bolus is my fast acting, for food and corrections, to be honest it's only on here I use basal and bolus in speech if talking about diabetes as T0's struggle with it as it is....

But then I only have one background insulin injection a day at night :)

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I think I would just add - please don't mix the two up when you inject, i've done it a few times and it's a pain ! :banghead:

Reactions: Struma and kitedoc

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I think of basal as in base of the pyramid, or foundation which lasts. Base instruments provide the back beat for the music.
We swallow food down in a bolus
or lump. We bolus food down and bolus insulin in to deal with blood sugar effect of the food. Bolus is also a ball which one kicks up over the goal posts (or through them). A bolus of insulin is that ball travelling up to knock the blood sugar down, and it lands quickly.
A bolus is like a guitar, clarinet or riff which happens intermittently to rouse applause.

Reactions: Tony337

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
But why, oh why, oh why, did whoever invented the names have them both start with a b? It really doesn't help. Long acting and short acting is much easier...
as T0's struggle with it as it is....
Nice.

Reactions: Mia4554 and kitedoc

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’d never heard of the word “bolus” until I did DAFNE. I always used the terms “background” and “fast-acting” before. I still feel strange using “bolus” as a verb, it’s a strange sounding word. I used to say “inject”, but I don’t do that any more...

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I’d never heard of the word “bolus” until I did DAFNE. I always used the terms “background” and “fast-acting” before. I still feel strange using “bolus” as a verb, it’s a strange sounding word. I used to say “inject”, but I don’t do that any more...
I guess bolus is like the American term "stat" for administration of medications in TV movies, at least !!

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I think of basal as in base of the pyramid, or foundation which lasts. Base instruments provide the back beat for the music.
We swallow food down in a bolus
or lump. We bolus food down and bolus insulin in to deal with blood sugar effect of the food. Bolus is also a ball which one kicks up over the goal posts (or through them). A bolus of insulin is that ball travelling up to knock the blood sugar down, and it lands quickly.
A bolus is like a guitar, clarinet or riff which happens intermittently to rouse applause.
Going to stick with mine :)
Yours is WAYYYYYYY too complicated :)

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Going to stick with mine :)
Yours is WAYYYYYYY too complicated :)
Says who? I gave more options, but you can bags the Northern hemisphere, and I can bags the Southern one.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
? Pistols or insulin pens at dawn ??
But in the interests of world peace I offer an explanation for the ladies in our midst:
The basal is like a slightly wobbly straight stitch from a sewing machine, relatively flat. _ _ _ _
The bolus is like one up and down zigzag periodically _ _ _^_ _ _ _ _ ^_ etc.

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Only 1 way to sort this.......KITE WAR :)
Fighter kites are the means but their main weapon, manja (the cutting line), has been banned. But please see the post about the ladies first !!

Reactions: porl69