Basal quandary for 17 month old

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Just a few weeks ago LO was on single dose of levemir, 2 units at 7pm which was causing lows in the night and we started doing a split dose of half a unit at 7am and 7pm. Today her 7am dose is 1 unit and her DSN just put her up to 2 units at 7pm because of highs overnight! How does it change so much over just a few weeks? I'm baffled

M

mist

Did someone say my name?

basilfawlty.jpg

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a few weeks ago LO was on single dose of levemir, 2 units at 7pm which was causing lows in the night and we started doing a split dose of half a unit at 7am and 7pm. Today her 7am dose is 1 unit and her DSN just put her up to 2 units at 7pm because of highs overnight! How does it change so much over just a few weeks? I'm baffled

Could be the fluctuations of the honeymoon period, or your daughter growing - or both, of course. With the honeymoon period, BS can be quite erratic.

Also, it's still relatively early days for your daughter. Sadly, careful adjustment of insulin can take a while.

At least you have a PDSN who's quick to react, by the sounds of it.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @shivles - personally I find my basal needs increasing in winter/colder weather and the opposite in summer, temperature can influence this - also her needs will periodically change which is why you should call your DSN to report this so they can keep a records of her adjustments ;)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Could be the fluctuations of the honeymoon period, or your daughter growing - or both, of course. With the honeymoon period, BS can be quite erratic.

Also, it's still relatively early days for your daughter. Sadly, careful adjustment of insulin can take a while.

At least you have a PDSN who's quick to react, by the sounds of it.
I wish I had an end date for the honeymoon period! Certainly keeps us all on our toes lol

Reactions: azure

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @shivles - personally I find my basal needs increasing in winter/colder weather and the opposite in summer, temperature can influence this - also her needs will periodically change which is why you should call your DSN to report this so they can keep a records of her adjustments ;)
That's really interesting I didn't realise there might be seasonal changes! Is there particular reason for this or is it just an odd phenomenon?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @shivles If I go to a warm country i'll need less background as the heat burns my glucose stores at a fast rate, whereas when it goes colder i'll need more, so not really an odd phenomenon as it affects alot of type 1's, just something else to be aware of with the seasons changing ;)

shivles

Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi @shivles If I go to a warm country i'll need less background as the heat burns my glucose stores at a fast rate, whereas when it goes colder i'll need more, so not really an odd phenomenon as it affects alot of type 1's, just something else to be aware of with the seasons changing ;)
Ah that makes sense, thanks!

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My basal needs haven't changed for a while, or noticeably at least, but yeah, they can change for some obvious reasons and for some not so obvious reasons......

so good to get in the habit of regular basal testing.....

an extra pain when on such small doses I understand....

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basal testing isn't a good idea for a very young child. The little tweaks are probably the best way forward :)