Bayer A1CNow SelfCheck - would you buy?

candyfloss

Dislikes
Processed foods and refined carbohydrates!
The Bayer A1CNow SelfCheck is a blood glucose meter for home use measuring your HbA1c. It can only be used twice and is not available to purchase in the UK as far as I am aware.
I have seen it for sale in the US through the internet for $22.99 (£15.85) which means you get a HbA1c test for £7.92 which I'm sure is a lot cheaper than a private test.

Those of us in the UK can get our HbA1c test for free through the NHS but I think its only once a year, isnt it? However I would be interested to know if my HbA1c is going up or down following dietry and exercise changes so would probably buy one of these meters if available in the UK.

Curious to know if anyone else would buy one.

Would you?

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
candyfloss said:
The Bayer A1CNow SelfCheck is a blood glucose meter for home use measuring your HbA1c. It can only be used twice and is not available to purchase in the UK as far as I am aware.
I have seen it for sale in the US through the internet for $22.99 (£15.85) which means you get a HbA1c test for £7.92 which I'm sure is a lot cheaper than a private test.

Those of us in the UK can get our HbA1c test for free through the NHS but I think its only once a year, isnt it? However I would be interested to know if my HbA1c is going up or down following dietry and exercise changes so would probably buy one of these meters if available in the UK.

Curious to know if anyone else would buy one.

Would you?

Oooh.

Do you know more details?

Like if it is as accurate as the NHS doing it?

Is there a high chance of performing the test at home incorrectly which leads to a false reading in turn worrying you if it is extremely low or high?

Personally i don't think i would buy one unless situations changed for me which means it could assist me in better control. as i've only just gained good control i still have them more often than once a year.

But i'm guessing for people who don't get test strips on prescription and only test once or twice a day this could be a very good tool when it does come to dietary trials etc to get a more accurate view of what works best of them that only an annual A1c could.

i may google as im now very intriuged!

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I get my HbA1c done every 12 weeks as part of my ongoing health checks by my GP, so for me this alternative would be a useless and unnecessary expense.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Have a look at the www.a1cnow.com web site. Gives all the info. Also check out walgreens.com in the US and the many good customer reviews...

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
candyfloss said:
Those of us in the UK can get our HbA1c test for free through the NHS but I think its only once a year, isnt it?
It was every 3 months for me (they thought I had type 2, I'm not, I have type 1, so my blood sugar was high all the time...), so if you are worried you might be able to get one done more often?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
No. I wouldn't waste my money on one as I get my HbA1c done when I want at my local Hospital Diabetes Clinic. It is done while I wait and takes about 6 minutes to get a result. If I did want one done then the UK based Glucomen test kit is easier to get hold of here and costs £16.95 for just one test.

The readings for 90 days on my meter equate very closely to my own HbA1c but I do test frequently so the average is not far out. Testing only once or twice a day will not show an accurate average as it is taken over a 90 day period.

I would save your money and just ask for a test at your GP practice every 3 months. It is free on the NHS. Testing frequently will show any trends too. Highs and lows show up quicker than in any 3 monthly test.

Ken.

candyfloss

Dislikes
Unfortunately I dont think i would get more than the annual test. Only this week my doctor said "you dont need to test". I explained the only reason my HbA1c is good and I am keeping it there is because I am testing. It fell on deaf ears as usual. :roll:

cugila said:
No. I wouldn't waste my money on one as I get my HbA1c done when I want at my local Hospital Diabetes Clinic. It is done while I wait and takes about 6 minutes to get a result. If I did want one done then the UK based Glucomen test kit is easier to get hold of here and costs £16.95 for just one test.

The readings for 90 days on my meter equate very closely to my own HbA1c but I do test frequently so the average is not far out. Testing only once or twice a day will not show an accurate average as it is taken over a 90 day period.

I would save your money and just ask for a test at your GP practice every 3 months. It is free on the NHS. Testing frequently will show any trends too. Highs and lows show up quicker than in any 3 monthly test.

Ken.

HLW said:
candyfloss said:
Those of us in the UK can get our HbA1c test for free through the NHS but I think its only once a year, isnt it?
It was every 3 months for me (they thought I had type 2, I'm not, I have type 1, so my blood sugar was high all the time...), so if you are worried you might be able to get one done more often?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
candyfloss said:
Unfortunately I dont think i would get more than the annual test. Only this week my doctor said "you dont need to test". I explained the only reason my HbA1c is good and I am keeping it there is because I am testing. It fell on deaf ears as usual. :roll:

I think I would change my doctor to a more diabetic friendly one. :shock: With an attitude like that....let's hope he never becomes diabetic.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
candyfloss said:
I was told I didn't need to self-test, and they still did 3 monthly hba1c (I didn't ask for it to be every 3 months, they told me to get it done every 3 months), so you might be lucky, but I'd take Sue's advice if I were you!

markd

As a pre-diabetic (even having been very close to the 'real thing' at one stage), I don't get the frequent NHS tests that others seem to do.

I've been waiting for them to be available over the counter when on trips to the US, but so far, no luck, post only.

Until this week, that is. Found the Bayer A1cNow discounted at a WalMart here in Detroit yesterday and picked up a couple of packs - 2 tests per pack at $16 per pack, around £11.

Pretty good value at £5-50 per test compared to the £12 to £16 Glucomen one by post in the UK.

Tried one just now and it is very easy, test result was 5.2 which is about right for me; I dip as low as 4.7 sometimes if I've been exercising more than normal, but more usually 5.0 to 5.2 so happy with that.

One good thing is that it only needs a tiny drop of blood - about the same as a normal glucometer test - compared to the two huge dollops needed for the Glucomen, Walgreens or Walmart test by post.

Sufficiently impressed that I'll try and pick another pack or two on my way out to the airport later on.

I think, at that price, I can cut down on my daily testing and if I did one A1C as frequently as one per month, I'd still save money - and fingertips!

markd