Become Insulin Sensitive - Having a bad time

jim nugent

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 Diabetic since 1983.

In the past 10 days I have reduced my dose of Tujeo twice - 22 to 20 and carb counting ratio from 1/7.5 breakfast and 1/9 dinner to 1/12 & 1/13. My blood sugars are still falling all the time and within 90 minutes of eating I am having to drink high carb fizzy drink - approx every 90 minutes during the day and every half hour at late evening to get my sugars high enough to go to bed on. For the first time blood sugars are dropping 5 or 6 mmol during the night this has almost never happened before and never since I had a sensor.

I work towards 12mmol blood sugars now to prevent any chance of a hypo. Exercise - even walking a few feet is causing my blood sugars to drop 1mmol and 5 minute light exercise 3mmol (over the next 15 minutes).

I have tried to get help from my doctor and local diabetes service, but apparently unless I start having bad hypos nobody is interested.

I really cannot face much more of the fizzy stuff and I am now stuck in a chair not daring to move. Anybody out there got anything helpful to suggest on the matter.

• Hug
Reactions: JAT1

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
HI @jim nugent and welcome to the forums.

OK, just noticed you've been diabetic since 1983 so have edited out my comments about a honeymoon period...

To be honest, if I was getting too many hypos I would keep reducing my insulin till they stopped, but I stress that I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice...

Once more welcome

• Agree

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @jim nugent what a pain in the neck. I’m in the process of reducing my basal for similar reasons. Though not on such high doses as yourself so will likely get there quicker. It is a feature of my diabetic journey where my needs seem to change with the season. I’m convinced it’s to do with the daylight. These longer lasting insulins like Toujeo and Tresiba, which I’m on, are great for level control when you hit the sweet spot, but reducing/increasing takes time as you must wait about 3 days between adjustments. As @EllieM said the idea would be to keep reducing the basal if you are having such drastic lows particularly during the night. It is a shame you cannot get advice from your Diabetes clinic. They are really not fulfilling their role. Any chance you could seek help from a clinic in another area.

Reactions: JAT1 and EllieM

Zhnyaka

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Homophobia, racism, sexism
same problem. Over the past year, the dose of my basal has decreased by almost half, and the dose of bolus by about 30%. I have no idea why, because I haven't changed anything in my physical activity or diet. It seems that you just need to watch how the body reacts and change the dose depending on it. It annoys me too, but I have a lot of sweets for hypo

• Agree