been low to zero carbs for over a week

sujepero

Hi All, wondering if anyone could advise me please, been on a low - zero carb diet for over a week now but my sugar levels wont seem to go below 7.9 the highest they have been is 9.8 is there something I am doing wrong, Ive lost half a stone in the process as I am not eating a lot at all really, so confused with all the conflicting evidence....am I the only one :(

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
No your not, I don't lose weight been low carbing 18mths now and not lost a pound. I'm even on Metformin and my BS haven't come down much at all.

sujepero

dawnmc said:
No your not, I don't lose weight been low carbing 18mths now and not lost a pound. I'm even on Metformin and my BS haven't come down much at all.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that, I have lost some weight, but im just not sure im doing the right thing by cutting the carbs, oh and I havent had any sugary foods for over two weeks now, (diagnosed two weeks ago) maybe I have to start taking the pills ive been given, I was hoping to do it by diet and exercise alone, but im not sure how long I should continue down this road, and how much damage I am doing by letting the levels remain as they are, as I said Im still very confused as to what to do, and my doctor is bordering on useless, and the diabetes nurse just said healthy diet and exercise....not helpful eh, well I wish you the very best of luck with yours, and maybe I just have to keep searching to find the right answers, if there is such a thing!

charon

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Are you exercising as well?
For me the diet didn't help all that much on its own (but to be fair I didn't give it very long) once I started exercising after every meal it showed effect. The baseline started coming down and came down even further when I had a small portion of carbs with the meal followed by exercise.

A meal would take the BG reading up by nearly 2 mmol/l 2 hours later but with exercise it would usually be lower. The exercise was fairly gentle - exercise bike followed by situps and weights - again nothing very stressful. Acually started with a walk because I was two feeble to cope with the bike but that still helps, now I do about half an hour on the bike.

sujepero

charon said:
Are you exercising as well?
For me the diet didn't help all that much on its own (but to be fair I didn't give it very long) once I started exercising after every meal it showed effect. The baseline started coming down and came down even further when I had a small portion of carbs with the meal followed by exercise.

A meal would take the BG reading up by nearly 2 mmol/l 2 hours later but with exercise it would usually be lower. The exercise was fairly gentle - exercise bike followed by situps and weights - again nothing very stressful. Acually started with a walk because I was two feeble to cope with the bike but that still helps, now I do about half an hour on the bike.

I walk quite a bit, as I dont drive, I go swimming once or twice a week and usually do 32 lengths half a mile each time, I do lots around the house, you know like house work, gardening, stuff like that, but unfortunately my job is very low in exercise terms, sitting at a desk all day, so i suppose I could do more, will see what I can fit in lol, are you taking medication? I really dont want to yet,but of course if things dont improve I may have little choice, thank you for your response, very well done with the exercise!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi sujepero. If you are overweight and been prescribed Metformin then do take them as they will help reduce your insulin resistance which will in turn make you own insulin work harder in keeping sugars low. What sort of things are you eating each day? Yes, your nurse was silly to suggest having a 'healthy' diet. By definition diabetics, in particular T2s, can't have a normal diet as they don't process carbs properly so need a different, lower-carb, diet from a 'normal' person.

Mongoose39uk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Sprouts
Healthy diet and exercise can work, it takes time. yes more careful control of carbs is needed but low/zero carb is not for everyone. Your blood glucose levels are not bad at all for a couple of weeks in, it can take a few months to get anything near acceptable levels.

While there are many on here who advocate a very low carb dies in the real world a lot of people succeed in managing their diabetes without going quite that extreme with their diet.

I can understand your reluctance to go the medication route, though if you can tolerate it Metformin does make the battle a lot easier and looking through the research it may offer the body protection in other areas.

12 months ago at diagnosis my Hba1c was 14.9 and it took about 5 months before it was down to 6.5. My last one was 14.9% but my morning blood glucose was still up around 8 to 8.5 until this last couple of weeks. Now its down in the low 6's.

It takes time, a marathon not a sprint. It is also very individual.

As for food, have a read around and decide what you can live with on a day to day basis. Don't be afraid of the odd treat.

If your Doctor is a pratt, get shut and get a new one.

Most of all don't be afraid to live.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Mongoose39uk said:
Healthy diet and exercise can work, it takes time. yes more careful control of carbs is needed but low/zero carb is not for everyone. Your blood glucose levels are not bad at all for a couple of weeks in, it can take a few months to get anything near acceptable levels.

I have to agree 100%, for me anyway. I lost my weight by following what started as a diet but I realised after a while, it wasn't a diet. it was a new lifestyle. This was the way I was supposed to eat. Smaller measured portions, not 'just enough to keep me alive' I don't believe in suffering for my weight loss! Never go to bed hungry is my motto. I did cut down on carbs as well as fat, and along with gentle sustained exercise I lost weight. I never tested in all this time because I had no idea that due to my weight loss I was also improving my diabetic condition. I lost my weight and also my need for db medication through NOT low carbing. I was on about 200g per day. I am now on about 100 to 150. I have tried and failed to get lower, but I am still meds free.
Have you checked ALL the foods you are eating for carbs? It has been mentioned elsewhere on this forum that if you type something like 'how many carbs are in an apple' into google you will get a reply. I should think this would work if you use a different search engine. Lastly, please make sure you are eating enough.

sujepero

Hi all, thank you for your replies, very interesting reading....yes I am cutting out all carbs, or as much as is possible, lots of food stuffs have a small amount, I've already lost half a stone in two weeks, sorry dont do metric, im now about one and a half stone overweight, so getting there! so far ive got one am reading of 6.8 but all the rest have been around 8-9, I must have spent hours and hours online looking at what food is low carb or carb free! and spent twice as long getting the shopping in lol, yes I was expecting faster results but as you say it can take months, so there is hope for me yet, I will persevere with the eating and exercise plan for a few more week now and see how it goes. thank you again will read on with much interest any info you can throw my way will be of great use

burcidi

if your blood sugar is high despite a strict weight and exercise program, i would assume that you either need to increase your medication dose or switch to a different treatment program. You should talk to your doctor about it.

My mom was on a strict diabetic diet for about a year after she was diagnosed. She had lost a ton of weight and her sugar went down a lot but she couldn't maintain it as she was eating so little and starting to look aged.