Been on Keto, Feb. will be 1-year

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Icy, cold winds where I live, when I want to be outside ;)
very diligent, don't cheat but one time at a potluck, and didn't do that again. Going for A1C again soon and Lipid profile.

Thing is, drink plenty of water, right percentages of Proteins, Fats and carb (vegies only) except a once-in-awhile loaf of Almond Flour bread, with cinnamon and stevia. I am of late, getting different pains in my feet and usually a big toe, just once in a while. I am nervous that I am doing something wrong but don't know what at this point. Been on same diet basically. Change up my meats, vegies, and I doe eggs, mozzarella cheese from whole milk, good Oils, butter,

Only other drinks I have are Pelligrino once in awhile, regular water with Endure brand of electrolytes added (I have a filter on my tap for water) and I take 500 mg Mag. at nite, and 500 in the a.m.

Just wondering if Diabetes will still sometimes progress even when adhering to a Keto-style diet??

Thanks, and I'll check back after some errands, Denise

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Just wondering if Diabetes will still sometimes progress even when adhering to a Keto-style diet??

It can do, particularly if you are initially misdiagnosed T2 when you are in fact T1/LADA. Not saying that is the case for you at all (it's pretty unlikely) and honestly, you are very very early in your diabetes journey to be getting diabetic complications. It's very easy to assume all odd aches and pains must be some horrible diabetic complication when in fact they aren't diabetically related at all.

Do you do blood tests at all? Honestly, in your position I'd do that, because it would tell you whether your diet is working. As a T2, you don't have to do it all the time, because you're not using it to adjust medication, but occasional checks to see if you are still on track can be useful.

Good luck for your test results.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
very diligent, don't cheat but one time at a potluck, and didn't do that again. Going for A1C again soon and Lipid profile.

Thing is, drink plenty of water, right percentages of Proteins, Fats and carb (vegies only) except a once-in-awhile loaf of Almond Flour bread, with cinnamon and stevia. I am of late, getting different pains in my feet and usually a big toe, just once in a while. I am nervous that I am doing something wrong but don't know what at this point. Been on same diet basically. Change up my meats, vegies, and I doe eggs, mozzarella cheese from whole milk, good Oils, butter,

Only other drinks I have are Pelligrino once in awhile, regular water with Endure brand of electrolytes added (I have a filter on my tap for water) and I take 500 mg Mag. at nite, and 500 in the a.m.

Thanks, and I'll check back after some errands, Denise
Hi Denise,
What kind of pains are you having? Because not everything has to be diabetes related, especially if your numbers are good. My feet can burn, which is then due to my thyroid meds needing adjusting again, or my joints ache, which would be a rheumatism-flare. You might just want to talk to your GP about it. Could be anything, or nothing.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
It can do, particularly if you are initially misdiagnosed T2 when you are in fact T1/LADA. Not saying that is the case for you at all (it's pretty unlikely) and honestly, you are very very early in your diabetes journey to be getting diabetic complications. It's very easy to assume all odd aches and pains must be some horrible diabetic complication when in fact they aren't diabetically related at all.

Do you do blood tests at all? Honestly, in your position I'd do that, because it would tell you whether your diet is working. As a T2, you don't have to do it all the time, because you're not using it to adjust medication, but occasional checks to see if you are still on track can be useful.

Good luck for your test results.
hi @EllieM Sorry to be so slow getting back on here. I do have my labs (HbA1c's) every 3 months or very close to ever since I was diagnosed. My numbers have been good on the last 2, and my home-tests are good but don't do them but once in awhile now as I eat a very, steady, boring diet of Keto, below 50 now, probably around 30. I don't cheat because I just am lucky I don't have any cravings.

I feel like when I do have something, like a pain in my toe, or had one in the top of my foot the other night before I did this post, it's just sort of remnants. What I mean is, it would be a lot worse if I weren't "healing" my body from the Insulin Resistance, and the eventual T2. I don't think I'll ever not be a Diabetic, not saying that, even though I know some say Diabetes can be healed, I don't really know about that. I'll just be glad to put the brakes on it.

I will be making another appointment today for my A1c's to make sure my #'s are staying within range, and also reading up on the supplements and foods I'm eating, and occasional symptoms. I do get scared sometimes. I'm 68, 69 actually, this December and had either a weird migraine, mini-stroke, or reaction to covid vaccine on August 2nd. Whole left side of my body went numb for 2 days. Left arm is still as numb, but the rest is back to normal thank goodness. Hospital, nor my MD had any answers after all the tests.

I did a post on that somewhere on here. Thank you for your reply, Denise :)

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Denise,
What kind of pains are you having? Because not everything has to be diabetes related, especially if your numbers are good. My feet can burn, which is then due to my thyroid meds needing adjusting again, or my joints ache, which would be a rheumatism-flare. You might just want to talk to your GP about it. Could be anything, or nothing.
Hi @JoKalsbeek I get sharp little pains in different areas, but few and far between, not often. Mostly in my toes, or foot areas. As I told @EllieM I think they would be worse if I hadn't gotten my diet straightened out, and I also exercise pretty regular, keep moving.

I have some other issues but not on other meds as I am trusting the nutrition and supplement for now. I am making an appointment today for more blood tests, and also to talk to my MD. I also do Electrolyte drops in my water every day, and extra magnesium capsules morning and night which have taken away my leg cramps, and also most of the toe pains/burning sensation. I get frustrated if it ALL doesn't go away, and that's how I felt the other day when I posted this.

I do get scared as I know that I cannot be perfect so diabetes can progress. Losing a leg, or foot scares hell out of me, so I take this all seriously. Maybe some would call me paranoid or hypo-chondriac but I am who I am and I had never had anything like this disease before. Thought I was indestructable ;)

Thanks for your reply, and I am sorry I didn't get back on here sooner, Denise

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @JoKalsbeek I get sharp little pains in different areas, but few and far between, not often. Mostly in my toes, or foot areas. As I told @EllieM I think they would be worse if I hadn't gotten my diet straightened out, and I also exercise pretty regular, keep moving.

I have some other issues but not on other meds as I am trusting the nutrition and supplement for now. I am making an appointment today for more blood tests, and also to talk to my MD. I also do Electrolyte drops in my water every day, and extra magnesium capsules morning and night which have taken away my leg cramps, and also most of the toe pains/burning sensation. I get frustrated if it ALL doesn't go away, and that's how I felt the other day when I posted this.

I do get scared as I know that I cannot be perfect so diabetes can progress. Losing a leg, or foot scares hell out of me, so I take this all seriously. Maybe some would call me paranoid or hypo-chondriac but I am who I am and I had never had anything like this disease before. Thought I was indestructable ;)

Thanks for your reply, and I am sorry I didn't get back on here sooner, Denise
Could be something as simple as a pinched nerve between the middle bones... I know my feet bothered me until I finally discovered puma's and skechers. (Especially the memory foam in the latter was a life changer). I can't wear nice lady's shoes ever again, but I've discovered the joys of walking decent distances without pain.

But yeah, could be anything... Though with blood sugars usually in range, neuropathy isn't exactly likely. If you were high for a prolonged period of time before this though, you could have extra unpleasant sensation because your nerve endings could be healing... If you're worried about neuropathy, get some vitamin B complex supplements going, that'll help with the process, if that is what is going on. But you might want to see someone about this. If it's incidental I can see why you wouldn't, but should it get worse, you know... They don't do diabetic foot checks for the heck of it.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Could be something as simple as a pinched nerve between the middle bones... I know my feet bothered me until I finally discovered puma's and skechers. (Especially the memory foam in the latter was a life changer). I can't wear nice lady's shoes ever again, but I've discovered the joys of walking decent distances without pain.

But yeah, could be anything... Though with blood sugars usually in range, neuropathy isn't exactly likely. If you were high for a prolonged period of time before this though, you could have extra unpleasant sensation because your nerve endings could be healing... If you're worried about neuropathy, get some vitamin B complex supplements going, that'll help with the process, if that is what is going on. But you might want to see someone about this. If it's incidental I can see why you wouldn't, but should it get worse, you know... They don't do diabetic foot checks for the heck of it.
Hi again JoKalsbeek :) I didn't run super high before, and had the tests going on for past 6 years. I was in pre-diabetic range in 2018 but was not informed. At that time, I didn't have access to my online records, and wasn't smart enough to "ask" about seeing my labs myself. Now I am probably in there more than the doctors/nurses like me to be, lol! Oh well, that's just too bad.

I've been on the Bs for several months, almost a year so got that covered. I take the best I can afford, read up on them etc. Get a lot in my foods, and use Nutritional Yeast, things like that too. I wear my New Balance, or Saucony Tennies for walking, and I can't, or won't wear the "cruel" shoes :arghh:, not for years now! I wondered about the memory foam type. I thought they might be too soft, but I'll check them out. I had a pair of Sketchers, haven't a clue what happened to them now. They were sandals, and I liked them, wore them a lot.

I can do 4 miles an hour with no problem, and lately, it's been raining a lot so I just do my rowing machine. That may be why I am getting a bit more issues, not enough walking :(

Reactions: hatsoff

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again JoKalsbeek :) I didn't run super high before, and had the tests going on for past 6 years. I was in pre-diabetic range in 2018 but was not informed. At that time, I didn't have access to my online records, and wasn't smart enough to "ask" about seeing my labs myself. Now I am probably in there more than the doctors/nurses like me to be, lol! Oh well, that's just too bad.

I've been on the Bs for several months, almost a year so got that covered. I take the best I can afford, read up on them etc. Get a lot in my foods, and use Nutritional Yeast, things like that too. I wear my New Balance, or Saucony Tennies for walking, and I can't, or won't wear the "cruel" shoes :arghh:, not for years now! I wondered about the memory foam type. I thought they might be too soft, but I'll check them out. I had a pair of Sketchers, haven't a clue what happened to them now. They were sandals, and I liked them, wore them a lot.

I can do 4 miles an hour with no problem, and lately, it's been raining a lot so I just do my rowing machine. That may be why I am getting a bit more issues, not enough walking :(
Sounds like you're doing everything right then...! Just please, if things do get worse or more frequent or just more of a nuisance, get looked at. Maybe an x-ray or something. Just to be on the safe side.

Reactions: G0ldengirl68

Tannith

BANNED
hi @EllieM Sorry to be so slow getting back on here. I do have my labs (HbA1c's) every 3 months or very close to ever since I was diagnosed. My numbers have been good on the last 2, and my home-tests are good but don't do them but once in awhile now as I eat a very, steady, boring diet of Keto, below 50 now, probably around 30. I don't cheat because I just am lucky I don't have any cravings.

I feel like when I do have something, like a pain in my toe, or had one in the top of my foot the other night before I did this post, it's just sort of remnants. What I mean is, it would be a lot worse if I weren't "healing" my body from the Insulin Resistance, and the eventual T2. I don't think I'll ever not be a Diabetic, not saying that, even though I know some say Diabetes can be healed, I don't really know about that. I'll just be glad to put the brakes on it.

I will be making another appointment today for my A1c's to make sure my #'s are staying within range, and also reading up on the supplements and foods I'm eating, and occasional symptoms. I do get scared sometimes. I'm 68, 69 actually, this December and had either a weird migraine, mini-stroke, or reaction to covid vaccine on August 2nd. Whole left side of my body went numb for 2 days. Left arm is still as numb, but the rest is back to normal thank goodness. Hospital, nor my MD had any answers after all the tests.

I did a post on that somewhere on here. Thank you for your reply, Denise :)
Toe pains could be arthritis or gout for example. Gout is more common if you have a lot of protein. Ask the doctor It's not something to guess at.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Toe pains could be arthritis or gout for example. Gout is more common if you have a lot of protein. Ask the doctor It's not something to guess at.
Yes, I have arthritis in my big toes and thumbs. I didn't know what it was until I broke my wrist 3 years ago and the thumb joint showed up on the X-ray. The consultant said he had it too and it was a genetic gift from his grandmother. Looks like mine came from my granny too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I think uric acid (causing gout crystals in the small joints) is a by product of protein digestion and was associated with rich men eating meat and drinking port , it can also be a hereditary form of arthritis so worth checking with a doctor as there is medication that will ease it.

Tannith

BANNED
Whilst I think uric acid (causing gout crystals in the small joints) is a by product of protein digestion and was associated with rich men eating meat and drinking port , it can also be a hereditary form of arthritis so worth checking with a doctor as there is medication that will ease it.
Yes, and I think there is also a blood test for it so you can rule it out and concentrate on other causes of the pain if necessary.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'll start looking at my protein intake again. I used to keep track of my protein, fats, and carbs in the early months but eat the same things, and amounts so I stopped. I do eat a lot of protein, but not sure if it's too much for me to be eating. My percentages are with Keto, or super close. Highest in fats, then proteins then carbs as lowest which is about 30 to 50 a day.

Thanks for this, and I have been diagnosed with "some" arthritis showing up in a test they did a couple years ago.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I have arthritis in my big toes and thumbs. I didn't know what it was until I broke my wrist 3 years ago and the thumb joint showed up on the X-ray. The consultant said he had it too and it was a genetic gift from his grandmother. Looks like mine came from my granny too.
My grand-dad had it bad, and mom got some of it. My half-sister has osteo-arthritis so yeah, hadn't really thought of that. I don't have much so far, but best make sure I have enough anti-inflammatory foods/supplements.

G0ldengirl68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, this is a definite thought this morning, to mention to my doc. Just to see if we can get some testing on that. Would Uric Acid have anything to do with numbness, or tingling as well maybe?? I'll avoid the meds if I can with some anti-inflammatory supplements. I hear good things about Serrapeptase from Dr. Berg and other reviews, as I was looking for help with some allergy issues caused by inflammation. Thanks much!!