Type 2 Before and after a meal

wiseowl_123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Bullies & Cauliflower cheese
Good afternoon at 1.pm I had 4 large chips and two large pieces of yellow haddock and peas my reading was before the meal 5.7 at one hour after the meal it was 8.1 at two hours my reading was 5.6 was this OK and within a safe limit:)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good afternoon at 1.pm I had 4 large chips and two large pieces of yellow haddock and peas my reading was before the meal 5.7 at one hour after the meal it was 8.1 at two hours my reading was 5.6 was this OK and within a safe limit:)

Overall they look ok to me. I do find though that peas really do spike me, you may find it you switched the peas for something else, eg broccoli, you would get an even lower reading at one hour.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not too bad - for me the 1 hour would be slightly too high but it's not disastrous- but the 2 hour reading is good :) - love yellow haddock :)

You could tweak the meal a bit maybe a lower carb veg such as broccoli or green beans rather than peas then you could still have your 4 chips and get a lower number at 1 hr

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Overall they look ok to me. I do find though that peas really do spike me, you may find it you switched the peas for something else, eg broccoli, you would get an even lower reading at one hour.
Wow you a mind ninja lol I was typing at same time picked the same veg lol

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Some say a rise of 2 mmol is the max to go to. I think once in a while this is not the end of the earth.

I would probably try again without the peas (as assuming the chips are your treat) to see if this tips the balance or eat some extra veg first as some stuidies reckon this reduces the rise.

All seems good with your second phase insulin response.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been able to manage a few chips (6 homemade fried or 10 frozen and fried). I do eat peas because they are one of the few veggies I like. Frozen garden peas spike me more than homemade dried marrowfat ones. I keep the portion size small. What sort did you have, and if frozen, did you check the label for added ingredients?

Those readings look fine to me as an occasional treat.

ExChocoholic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude, loud people
Peas tend to be sweet tasting though not sure of sugar content