Beginning to feel desperate

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Side effects from medication
So what do you currently eat? at what sort of cost?
Can or will you cook at all?
What’s the availability and cost of frozen or tinned chicken, fish, and vegetables if fresh are so expensive?
How are you with fats like butter?

Im curious how much eggs cost there. On a comparison website it suggested eggs and cheese were cheaper in Canada than the uk but it was written a year ago
Right now sale prices on a block of hard cheddar ranges from 4.44 to 6.99 depending on the store. For less than 1 pound. Idk the regular prices but one day I looked in one of the stores nearby and it was 9.99.
Eggs white ones for the 30 egg size goes 7.99. On a sale.
Idk the 12 egg size as I can't pay it so I don't look.
So if the cheese blocks come on for the 4.44 we get maybe 5. If the store has no limits. And they come on that price once a month. I haven't seen any more times than that.
Same with the 30 eggs. About once a month. And have space for 1 pk of 30.
One crown of fresh broccoli (30 calories) goes for 2.99 each. Tomatoes possibly 2 plus more a pound. When on sale in season.
I mainly eat tinned soups which go for between 3 and 4 dollars for a 2 cup size can. So I try to get them on a 2 dollar or 2 for 5 dollar sale.
And sometimes the smaller pasta cans but only when on sale for less than 2 dollars.
Canned beans and chili I have not been able to chew.
The soups and pasta cans I buy the ones that I can swallow straight down with no chewing needed.
Sometimes I can get frozen cauliflower if I was able to save enough on the other foods.
I can eat canned tuna when it's on sale but it is very rare on sale. Canned meats are out as I'm unable to tolerate them. Bathroom issues again there plus with milk yogurts and other milk things. I can tolerate cottage cheese but cannot afford any at all.
I'm OK with most fats. No issues.
I rarely eat grains or fruits. Due to blood sugar and high fruit prices. And not being able to chew.
I like to slow cook foods.
Sooo it's mainly Canned soups and the sometimes foods like hard cheese and scrambled eggs a few frozen veggies if I have saved enough from foods on sale.
This unbelievably doesn't help lower my blood sugar even with high doses of insulins.
Using the insulins is another sad story with at least 3 injections using 2 needle tips. Side effects of leg pain feet cramps endless hunger and weight gain.

• Informative
Reactions: Lainie71 and jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can tolerate cottage cheese it’s extremely easy to make, all you need is milk, lemon juice & salt and milk is much cheaper than cottage cheese. I often make it in the summer - here’s a recipe you could use

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The food plan I most dream of and think is the healthiest is a protein and vegetable one.
Maybe a little fruit thrown in.
I tried to figure out how to do this on my budget but can't come up with even 1200 calories a day of food.
Add in food intolerances and no teeth!

• Hug
Reactions: Lainie71

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The food plan I most dream of and think is the healthiest is a protein and vegetable one.
Maybe a little fruit thrown in.
I tried to figure out how to do this on my budget but can't come up with even 1200 calories a day of food.
Add in food intolerances and no teeth!
Any suggestions on how I can?

Beating-My-Betes

Any suggestions on how I can?
Plant-protein can often be much cheaper than animal-sourced. Legumes, beans etc. can be had for low prices. And if you have a pressure-cooker you can buy them dry, making them even cheaper.
Also, look for websites that aggregate all the promotions for the supermarkets in your area. This can help save a lot of money.

Reactions: cdpm

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Still pretty sad. Having to eat food bad for my diabetes. I don't check my bs anymore. Because I know the food I eat makes it too high. But I have to eat the bad food or not eat.
So y test. I know it's bad
There's nothing I can do.
Even with all the meds.
It's a really bad feeling knowing what helps knowing what you need to do but being unable to.

Last edited:

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Still pretty sad. Having to eat food bad for my diabetes. I don't check my bs anymore. Because I know the food I eat makes it too high. But I have to eat the bad food or not eat.
So y test. I know it's bad
There's nothing I can do.
Even with all the meds.
It's a really bad feeling knowing what helps knowing what you need to do but being unable to.
Look I appreciate that many of the T2 who post here embrace the low carb approach.

But I know at least 3 T2s who don't (my cousin and his wife and a friend in Australia) and they seem to manage fine on medication. Low carb is great if you want to minimise medication but it isn't the only way (just my opinion.)

I hope you can find some help with the medication.

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Look I appreciate that many of the T2 who post here embrace the low carb approach.

But I know at least 3 T2s who don't (my cousin and his wife and a friend in Australia) and they seem to manage fine on medication. Low carb is great if you want to minimise medication but it isn't the only way (just my opinion.)

I hope you can find some help with the medication.
Maybe I should do a test on my many trips up during the night to see if high bs could be a cause of them. If it is I could mention it to my endo dr. Maybe it needs tweaked somehow or a meal time small dose of insulin taken during the night. I'm aware that some ppl have to do that but ive been reluctant to. There isn't another basal I can get covered under my drug plan so I've got to work with the same one- toujeo.
I mean yes basaglar is covered but I requested a switch to toujeo as I can barely push the basaglar plunger its very stiff and tight. And they just removed Lantus from my plan. And I have sensors covered but I bruise badly with them and am still healing from the last one.
Sorry for the long post.

• Hug
Reactions: EllieM

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I really hate it. It's my own fault for ever getting fat.
And now I have to continue getting fat. On the meds.
Or starve hoping there's enough time between meals for bs to go down without meds.
I guess even when sad parts of life end (abuse) you just end up with new ones. To replace the other parts.
I feel like such a blob. I hate eating. Food hurts us so much. I should not have tested.

Last edited:

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
So I figure one meal one can
A DAY.
Maybe that will beat it.
I don't get to have healthy food choices and it distress me.
So why eat much of it.

Last edited:

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
When I have finished the bad foods I bought already I will switch to better food for my health conditions.
This will mean much much less food because of the higher costs tho.
Like most of my time will be not having any food to eat.
But I guess a tiny bit of healthy is better than having some bad.
I'm hoping this will relieve me from some of the distress of having to only eat bad foods .
Now to figure out how to do it on $60 for 30 days.
I only need 1500 calories. A day. I did try to figure this out before prices went wild and couldn't so idk.
Anyway I have a few days left of bad foods so maybe a miracle will happen.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
One tip I have for you is try buying the freshest veg you can, it may be more expensive than the reduced stuff past its best but it will keep so much longer. Buying knock down veggies is a false economy unless you are going to use it all at once.

Wrap everything in foil, at the moment I have a cabbage that was the size of the moon, use a bit of it most days, been on the go 3 weeks now and still as fresh as the day I got it. I’ve got some leeks that I’ve had 2 weeks and still fresh enough and some fennel I’ve had about 3 weeks and still cutting at it. Tin foil is your friend and if you unwrap it carefully can be used again & again

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @cdpm which province do you live in? As you know health care is under the jurisdiction of the provinces and not federal so they are all different. I'm in BC but I've lived in a number of provinces back east.
Oh and he is a she lol. You can't really tell from that small pic. ;)

cdpm

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi @cdpm which province do you live in? As you know health care is under the jurisdiction of the provinces and not federal so they are all different. I'm in BC but I've lived in a number of provinces back east.
Oh and he is a she lol. You can't really tell from that small pic. ;)

Remote ontario
In an isolated city

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Remote ontario
In an isolated city
I have never lived in ON but I have driven across it a few times. For those who don't know the geography, Ontario is a big province and can take three to four days to drive across it from East to West. And many communities in Ontario are very isolated with only a small general store for basics. You need a vehicle to get anywhere. Driving across the province there is nothing but forests for hours and hours.

Looking at the positives it looks like you have a Dr. Many don't, and likely your Dr is completely over worked and swamped, because of the Dr shortage, so it would not be personal, which does not help you, of course. I hear you on the walk-in clinics they can be a nightmare with long wait times - 6 hours or more - and no medical continuity. That said are your medical records on line and open to you in ON? You obviously have internet as you are on this site. The on-line medical records system is a slow roll out. Somebody previously mentioned the 811 line. They are staffed by nurses. They are very helpful. I have used them on occasions. I know if you are feeling desperate it's hard to think straight and keep things in perspective. I am going to make a few suggestions. I have also lived in those very remote communities. I lived in northern Québec. I did not have a Dr there due to the Dr shortage so it can be challenging.

Without access to your Dr for whatever reason the Emergency Room is your first option. Be honest and tell them your circumstances. The ER Dr should be able to give you insulin. There is a drug shortage for certain drugs like Ozempic. The ER Dr will put you in touch with the on-call social workers who will have access to people who can help you at a local level. Having a support system in place is important in times like this.

A lot of towns have local church communities that may be able to help you or at least give you some emotional support. I'm not religious. but I know that they can fill in the gaps if social care is not available to you. Even small communities have them. Are you First nations or Metis ?, they have their own support systems in place.

You say that your private health insurance will not cover your prescriptions. Surely ON has a province wide medical program for those on low income? It doesn't matter that you have private health insurance, if you tell them your situation they should be able to offer you some alternative medications that are avilable from the Pharmacy and little or no cost. There is always an alternative and they will know those alternatives. Talking about pharmacies, can the pharmasist offer any guidance on alternative drugs that are still available? I have found the pharmacists to be very knowledgeable and can write prescriptions when your Dr is not available. And of course so many do not have a DR. So that's an option. Given your high blood sugars this should not be a problem for you as it's a major health issue. Please don't beat your self up about your weight it's not your fault, it is something you can do something about when you are in a better emotional place.

Are you close to a larger town with a supermarket? They have veggies and fruits on the shelves that are slightly past there best. I often buy them and cook with them. They are a lot cheaper and perfectly good to eat. I don't know if you have Loblaws in ON but they have this think in place where food that is coming up to its sell by date , they slash the prices fown by 30 - 50% . That covers all food, veggies, meats and fruits. If no Loblaws the IGA, Walmart ? Is there a food bank close to you? Thats an option. In these hard times many people use them.

Learn to cook on a dime. There are many sites on the internet that run free on line courses using cheap cuts of meat. I cook all my meals as I have Coeliac. It's a lot cheaper and healthier too. It can be hard but there are many alernatives. Find a farm shop that sells produce like eggs. Its only supermarket eggs that have to be kept in the fridge as they are washed. Fresh eggs from the farm don't need to be kept in the fridge as they are not washed and they still have that protective coating on them.

Wishing you well, Mel