belated hello

shazscot

although i have been here a couple of weeks i thought i would put in a little introduction. i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in december 1991 aged 31. started as diet alone and have worked my way through quite a few different medicines then had lantus added about 4 years ago which i came off in june . since june been on byetta 3 metformin and 2 gliclizide. as i have an overactive thyroid and am going through the menapause am not sure which symptom to attribute to which condition! i am picking up quite a few tips on all aspects of my diabetes and have passed some on to my daughter who is 22 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 7 years ago. i am very glad i've found this forum and intend to make good use of it shaz

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum Shaz.I hope you find it useful. It's unusual for a 15 year old to have type 2 but not unheard of, are you definitely sure that she is type 2?

shazscot

hi sue thanks for your welcome. yes she is a type 2 i was surprised at the time that she wasn't type 1. she has been on metformin since diagnosed and for 6 months kast year she was on gliclizide. last tuesday was her first review at the hospital up till then she attended the young persons clinic. the doctor was very pleased with her blood results and that she has lost some weight. i wish her mother could do as well !! shaz

wallycorker

shazscot said:
although i have been here a couple of weeks i thought i would put in a little introduction. i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in december 1991 aged 31. started as diet alone and have worked my way through quite a few different medicines then had lantus added about 4 years ago which i came off in june . since june been on byetta 3 metformin and 2 gliclizide. as i have an overactive thyroid and am going through the menapause am not sure which symptom to attribute to which condition! i am picking up quite a few tips on all aspects of my diabetes and have passed some on to my daughter who is 22 and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 7 years ago. i am very glad i've found this forum and intend to make good use of it shaz
Hi Shaz,

I'm a Type 2 who was diagnosed nearly nine years ago. I've reversed my condition over the last twelve months through changing my diet.

Have you tried reducing your carbohydrate intake? That seems to help most Type 2s a great deal and very quickly.

Also, are you testing? If not I suggest that you start doing that.

Best Wishes - John

shazscot

hi john thanks for ur reply. it is only since i found this forum that i discovered i should reduce my carbohydrate intake. i have made a few chances however the snacking on junk is still happening ! was at diabetes centre today and i have to finish my 30 days on 5mg byetta then 30 days on 10 as well as 3 metformin and 2 gliclizides a day but if i cant get bs down they'll put me on something else. should i only buy nuts for snacks? shaz

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Shaz,get a Collins Gem carb counter book and work out the carbs in things you do like to eat.This way you can tailor a diet that you like,that suits you and you are more likely to stick to. Start out by aiming at under 100gm carbs a day.If you can stick to this try and reduce down slowly to 50-60 gm a day.This takes time but you will see benefits in your blood sugar levels and also in weight loss.

shazscot

cheers sue i will buy it as soon as i can. is it widely available ie my local wh smiths? i don't shop online but can go to glasgow for it if needs be thanks again shaz

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
I think you should get it in WH Smiths.It costs about £3 .99 so is not expensive and is small enough for your pocket,there is also the calorie counter as well which also has the carb values in it and i think slightly more info.

shazscot

just realized i did'nt answer john re testing i do test before my injections but haven't always taken injections but am trying to rectify this . thanks sue i will purchase 1 tomorrow shaz

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
shazscot said:
just realized i did'nt answer john re testing i do test before my injections but haven't always taken injections but am trying to rectify this . thanks sue i will purchase 1 tomorrow shaz

Hi shazcot.

See you mention testing before an injection, do you test at 1 and 2 hrs after your meals ?

shazscot

hi all and thanks foryour advice and comments. got my carb counter today will have a read when i come off here. my reading was 13.9 before evening injection which is best reading for 10 days. re testing 1 and 2 hours after meals i thought that was for type 1s? re snacking i know i shouldn't but seem to lack will power and cannot stop at 1 biscuit and can't stop bringing rubbish into the house !

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
shazscot said:
hi all and thanks foryour advice and comments. got my carb counter today will have a read when i come off here. my reading was 13.9 before evening injection which is best reading for 10 days. re testing 1 and 2 hours after meals i thought that was for type 1s? re snacking i know i shouldn't but seem to lack will power and cannot stop at 1 biscuit and can't stop bringing rubbish into the house !

Hi shazscot.

Testing is for everybody who wants to have control of Bg levels. If you don't test after a meal how on earth will you know what certain foods do to your levels. Test at least 2 hrs after, 1 hr is really to see what 'spikes' your Bg levels.

As for the snacking, you have to cut it down. One biscuit might be OK, but don't have any more...they are usually high in carbs and are not part of any diet as far as I know ? As you say, it is all down to willpower and motivation. What do you want in 12 months time, where do you want to be ?

You have choices, make the right ones. :D

shazscot

hi cuglia thank you for your advice. will test at 9 which is 2 hours after dinner. take it i should be testing before and after every meal ? i do not know how to stop the snacking, at the end of may i notieced blood in my left eye and remember thinking i was going to be blind and it was my own fault! i went to A&E and have had lazer twice and doctor said that will keep it at bay, however even tho i was very upset and worried when it happened it did not stop me nor the high bs readings since starting byetta . i think snacking could be 1 of the reasons i've not been well with the byetta? shaz

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Do you take the obligatory aspirin Shaz? if so discuss with your doctor about taking it as this can be the cause of the haemorrhage in your eye.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Hi again Shaz.

Eating the wrong things not just snacking can cause high Bg levels. Not sure if you have done this before, what would a typical days meals consist of and also what snacks ?

Sorry to hear you are struggling on the Byetta ? Have you tried the ginger capsules for nausea ? Either that or nibble a ginger biscuit....only the one mind !!

shazscot

hi sue no have never been on aspirin but my eye check ups had gone from yearly to 6 monthly at retinopathy unit to 6 monthly at hospital and they saw something in january but said to return in july and bleed happened in may. hi again cuglia today i have had 1 lice nimble with butter 2 pink panther biscuits 2 slice weightwatchers bread with ham and cheese slice sultana cake 3hrs later 2 slice nimble with 2 slice corned beef 3 pp bisc and tea between then and dinner2pp bisc and tea , 1 and half chinese ribsteak micro chips and salad milky coffee and wait for it 4 pp bisc help!! shaz

cugila

Master
Dislikes
OMG. !!! :shock:

we are looking this lot up and will get back to you. If I can stand the stress... :(

cugila

Master
Dislikes
shazscot said:
hi again cuglia today
i have had 1 slice nimble with butter
1 slice is anything between 8 to 12g carbs (Depends on type)

2 pink panther biscuits
Per 100g 63.1 carbs (2 wafers = 10.1 g (16g weight )

2 slice weightwatchers bread with ham and cheese
2 slices is anything between 7 to 12g carbs (depending on type)

slice sultana cake
Typical Sultana Cake isaround 60g carbs per 100 g weight. (Depends on size of a slice)

Well over 100g of carbs in one meal !!! WOW. That is almost twice my daily allowance of carbs.

3hrs later
2 slice nimble with 2 slice corned beef
Anything between 16 to 24g carbs.

3 pp bisc
15.6g carbs
and tea between then and

Around 40g carbs ......2 thirds of my daily intake.

dinner
2pp bisc
10.1 g carbs
and tea ,

1 and half chinese ribsteak
around 10g carbs

micro chips
31.5g carbs (microwaved)
and salad

milky coffee (200 ml is 7.2g)
and wait for it

4 pp bisc
help!! shaz

Again this could be well over 100g carbs at one meal.

Your total intake today is at least 250g carbs which is a massive amount. This would also contribute to higher Bg levels and generally not make you feel well as a Diabetic.