Best Form of Exercise for you

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
When you're able to walk, if you have a dvd player, I'd recommend looking at dvd's by Leslie Sansone. She walks and her dvd's are paced to help you walk. I have the 5-mile one which is great on wet mornings like this when I really don't want to go out and get soaked. I put the dvd in and I have a pace to walk to indoors. It's much easier to walk along to something than it is to do it alone.

Terminator 2

didie said:
When you're able to walk, if you have a dvd player, I'd recommend looking at dvd's by Leslie Sansone. She walks and her dvd's are paced to help you walk. I have the 5-mile one which is great on wet mornings like this when I really don't want to go out and get soaked. I put the dvd in and I have a pace to walk to indoors. It's much easier to walk along to something than it is to do it alone.

I'll need to look that one up, its wet this morning and like you I don't fancy getting soaked which usually results in my usual daily hour walk not happening. I know there's a host of other things I can do indoors but I'm not the greatest motivator when it comes to exercise :oops:

didie

Dislikes
People who think they are always right and ram their opinions down your throat. No-one knows everything. Those who shout loudest are usually the ones who actually know the least.
Terminator 2 said:
didie said:

I'll need to look that one up, its wet this morning and like you I don't fancy getting soaked which usually results in my usual daily hour walk not happening. I know there's a host of other things I can do indoors but I'm not the greatest motivator when it comes to exercise :oops:

It is really quite wet and dank here in Edinburgh today and I'm going to get wet this afternoon as I am on dog walking duties. I can't get them to walk to a dvd :D On the plus side, it means I should hit a 10-mile walking target today.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I walk everywhere and go to aqua mobility classes. [only cost is in trainers and swimsuits, which only last about 12 weeks in swimming pool use]
Hana

Terminator 2

didie said:
It is really quite wet and dank here in Edinburgh today and I'm going to get wet this afternoon as I am on dog walking duties. I can't get them to walk to a dvd :D On the plus side, it means I should hit a 10-mile walking target today.

:lol: if only eh. You'll be rained off more than me with being on the east coast, on the drier west coast of Ayrshire this end.

Enjoy your 10 mile walk, hopefully rain free.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
dudfirst said:
I'm curious about what the most useful exercises that you've found work for you.

If not the most useful, ones that are your favorites and/or most convenient.

I love walking, but I don't drive, and I love being out and about on my bike. Actually, I just love being out and about :D

Defren

Re: Best Form of Exercise for you ?treadmill

lorac99 said:
Hi All - I've notice a few 'posters' mention treadmills and I'd be very grateful for anyone's advice.
I'm T2, blood sugars are very stable, Cholesterol 3.5, BP 130/70. Am 3 stone overweight but am trying hard to loose more. Problem is my severe Intermittent Claudication. Stopped smoking, (really hard but managing most of the time). GP says I must walk but the pain is so bad I'm embarrassed when I go out. Really would like to try a treadmill at home and to try to get a level where I can walk out. Would love any advice you can give.

I had exactly the same problem. I had a Doppler, that came back normal yet the pain and cramping in my calf was unbearable. I mentioned it here and someone suggested I take a very low dose aspirin each day. I tried and I have never had the problem since, and I suffered with it for over five years. Ask your GP about it though as daily aspirin can cause tummy problems. I take an Lansoprazole each day which makes the aspirin fine for me. If that works, then try a treadmill, I bought one and now I am pain free it's the best thing I ever did. I do prefer to walk outside, but when the weather in inclement the treadmill really comes into it's own. I bought an electric one as I felt an manual may be just too difficult with my zero level of fitness.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Under orders from the nurse I walk every day. I have just come back from it. When I test just before lunch my numbers are in the 4's but the funny thing is that on Wednesdays I do not do the walk and go to Tesco instead. On those days my pre lunch reading is in the 3's. So Tesco is good for you.

On another point. Some years ago I bought an exercise bike which I thought would be helpful. Trouble was that when I had had enough of that on any particular day I just got off it and went back to the couch.

Contrast that with my real bike. I would ride off into the sunset and when I had had enough of it I had to ride it all the bl**dy way home again.

Sever

I recently found out i am diabetic t2 and started doing aquafit once a week its great fun and easy to keep up with ! running would hurt my boobies and any other excercie i dread other then using an excercie bike

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
Squire Fulwood said:
Erica Rowe seemed to manage ok.

Happy memories! I was only 10 at the time, but she made a lasting impression on a young lad.

I bet she made lasting impressions on many things she came into contact with. :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks you lot - I just had to go and Google Erica Rowe!!!

Need the brain bleach and a lie down in a darkened room now :lol:

DickM

Walking for me and myself and the wife use Geocaching as an added incentive to get out there and do the walking. If you have a smartphone with a GPS give it a try.
geocaching.com

BioHaZarD

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started going to the gym this week I have been twice and cannot believe how effective this is for my levels. Done a full hour on Monday and my levels stayed low all week and been again Friday. Treadmill, cross trainer, bike, circuit (dumbell, lifting, etc) rowing machine. I ache for a few days but worth it :D

Spirit of Eden

I play tennis for teams in summer months and football each friday. Both very enjoyable and sociable so it never feels like an effort. Whilst both are great exercise they don't have much of an effect on my numbers.

I also do weight training. Not so enjoyable but has a big effect on blood glucose levels.

I also go bike riding with the kids. I've had several hypos after these rides which I just cant explain :(

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I've been a type 1 for almost 6 months. Until recently I've only been running which gave me nice blood sugars later in the day.

I bought some gym equipment and have been doing weights and rowing around 1 hour after meals. My Blood sugar is around 4.5 mmol, perfect my target.

Even better still , i started mountain biking this weekend , found a nice hilly area and cycled up and down for 45 mins 1 hour after lunch. Blood sugar was 4.3 mmol afterwards.

Both methods work better than rapid insulin :)