Best replacement for sugar in tea / coffee ?

MoroFenrir

What is the Best replacement for sugar in tea / coffee?

My partner doesn't like cream, so with chucking the milk and replacing it with unsweetened almond milk , it's left it a little bland.

We've been told some sweetners can be pretty bad too, so can anyone recommend a good alternative to sugar to into tea?

Splenda?
Sweetner tablets?

Reactions: sarahlovesdogs

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
This is not going to help....

Tea by itself... I used spoon the sugar in.... and now it's quite a different drink and sweet enough on it's own...
Coffee... now black.

It didn't take long to switch.

I find sweetners add a little something that is not right.

Reactions: sarahlovesdogs
D

Deleted member 308541

This is not going to help....

Tea by itself... I used spoon the sugar in.... and now it's quite a different drink and sweet enough on it's own...
Coffee... now black.

It didn't take long to switch.

I find sweetners add a little something that is not right.
Same here I have my coffee and tea black, with no sugar / saccharine / sweeteners in it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’ve never liked tea so not a problem there. Coffee, I bought a decent coffee machine (think George Clooney!) I worked my way through the different varieties and narrowed it down to three favourites and now mostly just drink it black, I have one white one per day using a small amount of full fat milk.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use stevia drops, monk fruit drops or graulated pure erythritol if I want to sweeten things

Davie_sett

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I occasionally add those little sweetener tablet things into coffee for a change although i normally dont use them

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
For tea , nothing, nada, the sweeteners ruin the flavour. I also like roobios as it has no caffeine and I can drink it in the evening.
For coffee, a drop or two of honey, or vanilla extract, stirred as you drinks.

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I grow my own Stevia dry it and chop it to powder with my coffee grinder.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me stevia and/or erythritol, after a fair bit of research into what seemed best suited for (general) diabetic use.

I grow my own Stevia dry it and chop it to powder with my coffee grinder.
Which presumably gives a whole new meaning to green tea?
But I agree with @Contralto - tell us more!

Robbity

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
8851D865-B187-4063-AC10-2396F7D7D7E2.jpeg
AC74B523-C8FF-4FAD-BEA9-7BCDB7AAF35A.jpeg
that sounds interesting. Indoors, ourdoors, have a picutre of the stuff while growing?
It grows outside but we take it inside for winter as it can’t take the frost ,I have already cut 6 of the thick branches
Cut dried and ground them

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still use a little milk in tea but only a cup or two a day. I’ve always had coffe black as can’t stand any milk or cream in it.

I did have a sugar in both. I’m very anti artificial sweeteners. Regardless of that view some spike some diabetics. Testing is the only way to see which do it for you. I’ve tried every natural sweetener including sugar alcohols I can get. In most things I use stevia or erythritol. But in drinks they have an aftertaste. I tried monk fruit drops which also had an aftertaste for me. Finally found xylitol which tastes slightly odd but better than the rest. It’s poisonous to dogs though so be very careful if you have a pooch.

Whilst on the subject of sweetener many low carb bars have malitol as the sweetener. Some here can tolerate this ok. It spikes me quite badly.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hello. Thanks for the advice. I’m not enjoying drinks with sweeteners.
I’d like to try to grow my own Stevia.
Do you grind the stalks and leaves ?
Maddy x

Silvers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most sweetners are bad for us Diabetics. Stevia and Erythritol are the only ones which won't set our insulin production on the up (for most of us anyway) and thus spike our sugars. Stevia drops don't have much of an aftertaste. Do NOT use honey - that is simply pure sugar by another name. Xylitol is ok too I believe

Jon1

I have a very sweet tooth. My nutritionist suggested granulated pure erythritol which is about 70% the strength spoon for spoon as sugar. Made from waste products from fermentation although a carbohydrate it is one that passes straight through your body as our bodies have no means of dealing with it.
I use it for everything, stewing fruit, on strawberries etc.etc. In 3 months I have gone from pre diabetic to normal as has my blood sugar, lost 20 kg's plus reversed 3 abnormal blood test results from earlier this year and lots more - all on a high fat low carb (ketonic) diet.

Reactions: Keith Evans

feniangirl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use stevia drops, monk fruit drops or graulated pure erythritol if I want to sweeten things
I use only monk fruit drops if I want to sweeten something. They are expensive but have no funny taste. Usually I have my coffee with cream only and tea with cream and sometimes monk fruit drops. I Deleting the sugar from either takes only a couple days to get used to.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If I were going to do this I would use Baobab. Personally my tea and coffee have nothing added.

proffey

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What is the Best replacement for sugar in tea / coffee?

My partner doesn't like cream, so with chucking the milk and replacing it with unsweetened almond milk , it's left it a little bland.

We've been told some sweetners can be pretty bad too, so can anyone recommend a good alternative to sugar to into tea?

Splenda?
Sweetner tablets?

Have to agree with some of the people I have seen reply....

I used to be a 2 to 3 sugar person in tea and coffee, gave that up 17 years ago when I was diagnosed and do not use sweeteners at all. Takes a while to adjust but after you wonder why you ever had it.

My childhood friend of now over 30 years was a 7 teaspoon sugar person (Yeah I know, you do not need to say a word and no he is not now diabetic!)... Now has nothing in his tea or coffee.

Answer, go without after a week or two your taste buds will easily adjust.

apost.io

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I ll agree with most of the people... if you get quality coffee then black is a good option (as long as it has natural flavours strong enough to cover the bitterness). Nespresso saved me as well (as having a bean -> coffee machine was too much trouble for every day use).

But for teas etc I only use Fruit Sugar - Fructose. It is the closest to Sugar, does not spike (as long as you do not put 3-4 full spoons in the tea).

For some reason Stevia did not go well with me (either sugar level or taste).
But keep in mind: the most natural the better.
Yes, try to avoid artificial sweeteners.

I would also suggest for your partner to try slight flavoured teas (not the extremely fruity ones that have nothing to do with tea), it could be surprisingly tasty.

bigsi1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I take both with full fat milk but no sugar. Perhaps try some 70% or higher chocolate with a brew. It works. Lindt high cocoa (70 and above) is high fat and low carb/sugar. You only need a couple of squares at a time. I have 90%, two squares with a brew once a day. Does the trick.