Best Value Low Carb 85% chocolate

Honeyend

I am a snacker and when I am on the go and I can find nothing low carb to eat a resort to chocolate.
I regularly buy Aldi 85% Per 25g portion Carb 4.6, sugars 3.5g , 125g £1.69,but the new improved bars are smaller and are the same money.
Sainsbury's 85%, per 25g bar Carb 4.2g sugars 2.6g, 125g/ £1.45
I was out and had to resort to M&S, which perhaps was more creamy than the others, which I now realise its because its got a lot more sugar 17g/100g in it and as they are 100g bars so they a lot more expensive as I paid over £2.00
I have tried about every brand, even the extortionately expensive ones just to check if I was missing anything and perhaps my palette is not refined enough because the Sainsbury's for me is the winner on price, taste and low carb. I also like that like Aldi they in individually wrapped bars so I can keep one in my handbag.

Reactions: pjayem1964

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I buy Tesco own brand 85% it’s £1 for a 100g bar. Works out as 5.5g carbs in 25g of chocolate. They are big squares, the most I ever eat is two squares (20g) which works out as 4.4g carbs. I think that’s good value and it’s nice tasty chocolate. It’s one of my go to snacks as are plain nuts. I always have some of each in my bag.

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Tesco 85% swiss dark chocolate, 18.5g carb for the entire 100g bar (£1.50 per bar),
a portion is 2 large squares are 3.7g carbs.

Reactions: ickihun and Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Tesco 85% swiss dark chocolate, 18.5g carb for the entire 100g bar (£1.50 per bar),
a portion is 2 large squares are 3.7g carbs.
I buy this one if Tesco standard 85% is out of stock :hungry:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I am a snacker and when I am on the go and I can find nothing low carb to eat a resort to chocolate.
I regularly buy Aldi 85% Per 25g portion Carb 4.6, sugars 3.5g , 125g £1.69,but the new improved bars are smaller and are the same money.
Sainsbury's 85%, per 25g bar Carb 4.2g sugars 2.6g, 125g/ £1.45
I was out and had to resort to M&S, which perhaps was more creamy than the others, which I now realise its because its got a lot more sugar 17g/100g in it and as they are 100g bars so they a lot more expensive as I paid over £2.00
I have tried about every brand, even the extortionately expensive ones just to check if I was missing anything and perhaps my palette is not refined enough because the Sainsbury's for me is the winner on price, taste and low carb. I also like that like Aldi they in individually wrapped bars so I can keep one in my handbag.
I used to wait for my local tesco garage to have it on offer. Lindt and buy one get one free or 2 for ...a less price. Unfortunately they stopped selling it. :(

Juicetin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Moser Roth 85% from Aldi is amazing , cheap enough and about the same carbs as other 85% chocolate, ie. about 18g per 100.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I cook with 90% Lindt when I can get it at a reasonable price.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say my favourite brand of dark chocolate is Green and Blacks, but it’s expensive. My hubby bought me a Green and Blacks selection box for Christmas. The organic ginger one is my favourite, a bit higher carb as it’s only 60% but ok as an occasional small treat :hungry:

Jo123

I go for lindt 90%, I buy it at £1.60 a bar, occasionally £1.50, it's usually on offer somewhere. It's 14gms carbs per 100gms and I prefer the less sweet taste.

Anybody knows of a cheaper 90%chocolate please let me know!

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am happy to have "very low carb" meals so I can eat nice dark chocolate, rather than "low carb" meals. ("Low carb" is enough to control my BG.) Having 20g fewer carbs at meals in a day, so I can have 10g of sugar in chocolates is a good tradeoff for me.
But be careful as some people lose control of their hanger if they have any sugar, and I did not do this until my BG was under good control. (Table sugar is the 2nd worse carb for liver fat.)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I go for lindt 90%, I buy it at £1.60 a bar, occasionally £1.50, it's usually on offer somewhere. It's 14gms carbs per 100gms and I prefer the less sweet taste.

Anybody knows of a cheaper 90%chocolate please let me know!
Lindt 90% is reduced to £1.50 in Tesco at the mo, til 6th Feb :)

Reactions: Jo123

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try Hotel Chocolate they do some very nice low sugar chocolate.
My votes with this one I buy their 100% cocoa chocolate buttons think they are meant for cooking but I find that just 2 buttons with my coffee work for me and they come on at 0.4g of carb for the 2. They seem expensive but 2 is enough so a bag lasts for a very long time. I bought 2 on a special offer last November and only just starting on second bag. Found them a bit bitter to start with but love them now.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My votes with this one I buy their 100% cocoa chocolate buttons think they are meant for cooking but I find that just 2 buttons with my coffee work for me and they come on at 0.4g of carb for the 2. They seem expensive but 2 is enough so a bag lasts for a very long time. I bought 2 on a special offer last November and only just starting on second bag. Found them a bit bitter to start with but love them now.
There’s a new Hotel Chocolat store opened in my city, I’m going to give these a try, such a low carb count :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There’s a new Hotel Chocolat store opened in my city, I’m going to give these a try, such a low carb count :)
You may need to ask a member of staff to point them out as they are often kept in a less obvious position as they see them as a cooking product. In brum they have one small and one large store and they are kept in the large one ...good luck.They are only 8 g of carb per 100g but I counted out the buttons - sad I know - and did the maths 0.2g per button at least that’s what my maths said! It’s also worth seeing if they’ve got an offer on as if they are too bitter for you you can use them for cooking or melt etc...........
For Christmas I had a pack of going nuts chocolates for treats and they work out at 4.2g of carb but are big chocs and are not as intense as made from their new low sugar super milk chocolate and taste very wicked! I also had some of their speciality 100% bars gifted! Staff are helpful and knowledgeable first time went in just asked if they could point out the lowest carb chocs in the shop and they did straight away.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tesco own brand 85% it’s £1 for a 100g bar.

Is not only great value, but is really really nice and by far my favourite dark chocolate.

I had to buy the 85% Swiss one at the weekend as they were sold out of my favourite and it is horrible by comparison.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You may need to ask a member of staff to point them out as they are often kept in a less obvious position as they see them as a cooking product. In brum they have one small and one large store and they are kept in the large one ...good luck.They are only 8 g of carb per 100g but I counted out the buttons - sad I know - and did the maths 0.2g per button at least that’s what my maths said! It’s also worth seeing if they’ve got an offer on as if they are too bitter for you you can use them for cooking or melt etc...........
For Christmas I had a pack of going nuts chocolates for treats and they work out at 4.2g of carb but are big chocs and are not as intense as made from their new low sugar super milk chocolate and taste very wicked! I also had some of their speciality 100% bars gifted! Staff are helpful and knowledgeable first time went in just asked if they could point out the lowest carb chocs in the shop and they did straight away.
Thanks for that, I’m going into the city centre next week. I’ll certainly ask if I can’t find them.

Orangeteddy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I buy Tesco own brand 85% it’s £1 for a 100g bar. Works out as 5.5g carbs in 25g of chocolate. They are big squares, the most I ever eat is two squares (20g) which works out as 4.4g carbs. I think that’s good value and it’s nice tasty chocolate. It’s one of my go to snacks as are plain nuts. I always have some of each in my bag.
I have been using this too. Add 2 squares to small mug of hot unsweetened almond milk and you have a hot chocolate drink with little sugar or carbs.
It's a bit of an acquired taste however after years of normal hot choc.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using this too. Add 2 squares to small mug of hot unsweetened almond milk and you have a hot chocolate drink with little sugar or carbs.
It's a bit of an acquired taste however after years of normal hot choc.
Oh I’ll give that a try. I do use unsweetened almond milk to make milkshakes with sugar free Crusha. The raspberry one makes it taste like Bakewell tart :hungry:

Reactions: shelley262