BG levels

Sheppie84

What were your levels when you were put on treatment? I'm type 1.5 and levels are creeping up very slowly. I have an appt in April to see my DSN and I think she'll want me to start treatment.

Just wondered what your sugars were at and how they were treated initially?

Thanks
Sarah
[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Re: BG levels

Hi Sheppie84!

You say you have Type 1.5 - I am assuming that is LADA rather than MODY? I have LADA and am currently on a basal/bolus regime - Levemir twice a day and Apidra with each meal.

When I was first diagnosed, I was misdiagnosed as Type 2 and left to manage on diet and exercise with no testing. What I couldn't see, was how high my BGs were spiking after a meal. LADA is particularly spikey - you can have excellent HbA1c and pretty good fasting levels, but you could be spiking really high post-food, so it is very important to test at the 2-hour post-food mark.

Once I realised this was happening and got re-diagnosed as LADA, I went straight onto insulin. Initially, I was on small doses of Insuman Basal - an intermediate acting insulin which gives background coverage, but has a pronounced peak at about 4 hours. However, this wasn't enough to stop the post-meal spikes, so within a couple of months I went onto a rapid-acting with meals. At first, I got away with taking it with breakfast and tea but didn't need it for a low-carb lunch of e.g. chicken salad - now I need it for all meals. Unfortunately, LADA is a progressive condition and over time, your own insulin production will diminish - it depends how quickly this happens as to when and what insulin you need. Having said that, going on insulin is the best thing I've ever done and I can't emphasise enough what a difference it makes to control of LADA. I wish I'd gone straight on it at diagnosis.

I wrote an explanation of LADA on another forum, but I am not allowed to link to it on this forum. If you want to read it, Google 'What is LADA Smidge' and you should be able to find it.

Smidge

Sheppie84

Re: BG levels

Hi Smidge,

Thanks for your reply. I am LADA and was diagnosed after having gestational diabetes. I was told the levels on my GAD test were really high?

I am currently only testing first thing in the morning and usually my levels are 7-8 so not as high as they were during pregnancy. My nurse spoke about possibly starting me on low levels of long lasting insulin at our last meeting and I think she may start that when I next see her at Easter.

What were your levels reading when you started the nighttime insulin?

I will google tonight for your LADA definition as I still don't fully understand the condition.
Thanks,

Sarah
Xx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App