BG not falling during 48Hr fast

J_P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning - quick question for those with more experience than me.

I try to do 48 hour fast once a month - currently about 37 hours in to Octobers

Before the fast my BG (finger prick) was 6 (sunday 8pm)

Yesterday it fell slowly throughout the day as the fast progressed bottoming out at 5.2 yesterday at 8 pm (24 hours in)

This morning's fasting glucose was 6.5 (not to worried as its the inevitable liver dump) - however it doesnt appear to have fallen - sitting now 2 hours later at 6.4.....

Any thoughts or potential explanations ?

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
What are your expectations?
Firstly the error allowance on B meters is +- 15% so you can only rely on approximate values and trends.
Secondly you can't control your liver dumps exercise, or just moving around, lack of sleep, stress, infection, illness, medication, in all around 40 different things can affect them.

I only do fasts over 24hr when I need to for a colonoscopy, normally I eat 1 or 2 meals per day (Time Restricted Eating). But when I do the nurses always seem to panic when I say I'm a Type 2 diabetic and say I have fasted for over 48hrs. They are OK once they see my BG reading which are always in the high 5's.

I'm aware that some people in the forum post much lower FBG figures, but we are all different, so perhaps 5.2 is about as low as your liver will allow you to go - there is nothing wrong with that!

J_P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What are your expectations?
Firstly the error allowance on B meters is +- 15% so you can only rely on approximate values and trends.
Secondly you can't control your liver dumps exercise, or just moving around, lack of sleep, stress, infection, illness, medication, in all around 40 different things can affect them.

I only do fasts over 24hr when I need to for a colonoscopy, normally I eat 1 or 2 meals per day (Time Restricted Eating). But when I do the nurses always seem to panic when I say I'm a Type 2 diabetic and say I have fasted for over 48hrs. They are OK once they see my BG reading which are always in the high 5's.

I'm aware that some people in the forum post much lower FBG figures, but we are all different, so perhaps 5.2 is about as low as your liver will allow you to go - there is nothing wrong with that!
i suppose i was expecting a gradual decline to around the 5 mark - was just curious to why today it has stayed up post the usual liver dump

Thanks for the perspective on accuracy of the B meter

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i suppose i was expecting a gradual decline to around the 5 mark - was just curious to why today it has stayed up post the usual liver dump

Thanks for the perspective on accuracy of the B meter
I have limited experience of longer fasts, I tried them and they're not for me, even with the reduced appetite from keto. However, 16:8 works very well for me with 2MAD.

For the 4 or 5 attempts I had with longer fasting of 24 hours, my average BG across all readings that day was higher than on days where I eat 2 or 3 low carb meals. I put this down to my liver likely panicking and dumping glucose, because it interpreted an empty stomach as "imminent death from starvation could happen". When I eat low carb meals, I'd hypothesise that my liver doesn't do this, so it seems to play less of a role in factors affecting BG readings during the day.

J_P

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have limited experience of longer fasts, I tried them and they're not for me, even with the reduced appetite from keto. However, 16:8 works very well for me with 2MAD.

For the 4 or 5 attempts I had with longer fasting of 24 hours, my average BG across all readings that day was higher than on days where I eat 2 or 3 low carb meals. I put this down to my liver likely panicking and dumping glucose, because it interpreted an empty stomach as "imminent death from starvation could happen". When I eat low carb meals, I'd hypothesise that my liver doesn't do this, so it seems to play less of a role in factors affecting BG readings during the day.
Paul - i reckon you are on the money - liver feels i am going to starve (not much chance) and is dumping as much glucose as possible - however i do think that in the absence of food this glucose has got to come from visceral fat stores - maybe a higher BG reading is therefore not a bad thing :)

mansingh01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning - quick question for those with more experience than me.

I try to do 48 hour fast once a month - currently about 37 hours in to Octobers

Before the fast my BG (finger prick) was 6 (sunday 8pm)

Yesterday it fell slowly throughout the day as the fast progressed bottoming out at 5.2 yesterday at 8 pm (24 hours in)

This morning's fasting glucose was 6.5 (not to worried as its the inevitable liver dump) - however it doesnt appear to have fallen - sitting now 2 hours later at 6.4.....

Any thoughts or potential explanations ?

I do 16 hr fast everyday. 1st meal at 12 low carb and last meal at 7:00m low carb. Exercise 20 minute