Bg Today Not Good

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Full fat everything as far as lchf is concerned. We get our energy from the fats.

Your cholesterol will sort itself out in time.

Go enjoy your holiday.

Reactions: briped

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why not take the middle road. I’m tackling my high LDL bad cholesterol at the moment while keeping my HDL good cholesterol high as possible so following the Mediterranean style fat approach as outlined in the Poppi diet by cardiologist dr Malhotra. That means high fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil, oily fish etc. Would recommend this book - I got for a couple of quid on amazon and it is low carb and high fat but focuses more on med fats. It may also pacify your DN if you say you’re doing a med style low carb diet med diet is in vogue at moment. Interestingly too dr Malhotra doesn’t exclude many of the sat fats just the dodgy over processed veg oils and trans fats which you should avoid. An interesting read I found and he explains cholesterol very well and simply and how it’s not the evil we’ve been lead to believe!
Book is currently in the two for 7 quid promotion so found another book for a pressie so that each worked out at 3.50. Maybe good holiday reading?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioppi-Die...d=1530527079&sr=8-1&keywords=pioppi+diet+book

Thank you very much Shelley, I will have a look at the books, I have a kindle that I normally take on hol

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Marcus1234
If you're really worried about the fats cut back on the saturated types. The unsaturated ones are fine.

Remember that all of us requires energy to sustain ourselves. For a fella my size I need around 11,000 kJ per day. It has to come from somewhere. Carbs, fats and proteins are the only sources. Since we eat less carbs we naturally burn more fats and proteins just to satisfy the body's energy requirements. For this reason, an LCHF diet can tolerate an increase in fats since it gets used as an energy source to a greater extent in the absence of carbs.

Personally, to satisfy the saturated fats conundrum I limit these to 20g per day. The rest of the fats are polyunsaturated and unsaturated.
Enjoy the break,
Glenn

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Marcus1234
If you're really worried about the fats cut back on the saturated types. The unsaturated ones are fine.

Remember that all of us requires energy to sustain ourselves. For a fella my size I need around 11,000 kJ per day. It has to come from somewhere. Carbs, fats and proteins are the only sources. Since we eat less carbs we naturally burn more fats and proteins just to satisfy the body's energy requirements. For this reason, an LCHF diet can tolerate an increase in fats since it gets used as an energy source to a greater extent in the absence of carbs.

Personally, to satisfy the saturated fats conundrum I limit these to 20g per day. The rest of the fats are polyunsaturated and unsaturated.
Enjoy the break,
Glenn
Thanks crocodile.