Bg Today Not Good

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

For some reason my BG have been all over the place today.

Fasting 5,7
2 hours after breakfast 10 (3 toast & egg)
2 hours later 4.6
1/2 hour later 5.1
1.5 hours later 10.1

My BG have been quite evened out but today I have felt rough and not myself.

Is something happening or is this the norm for type 2's

Many thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

For some reason my BG have been all over the place today.

Fasting 5,7
2 hours after breakfast 10 (3 toast & egg)
2 hours later 4.6
1/2 hour later 5.1
1.5 hours later 10.1

My BG have been quite evened out but today I have felt rough and not myself.

Is something happening or is this the norm for type 2's

Many thanks
Far too much toast. 3 slices too many.

Is that all you have eaten today?

Did you have any excercise between the 5 and 10 reading?

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No exercise between 5-10 reading, I had 3 toast yesterday but my BG was ok

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had you washed your hands before testing?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are feeling rough, could you be coming down with something? Any infection can send our BG all over the place.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't think I am coming down with an infection, I do feel extremely tired, more than normal. I am currently at work until 20.00 and am struggling to do my job. I feel like Im heavy headed and dizzy.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I had washed my hands, was puzzled more at the 5.1 to 10 in such a short time.
I think the 10 can be explained by the toast. The lowering after probably due to an excess insulin response to the previous high.
the 5.1-10.1 is very odd...

Reactions: catarinagallo

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At 14.54 my BG was 5.1 and because I still did not feel ok I checked again at 16.14 and my BG was 10.1.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
At 14.54 my BG was 5.1 and because I still did not feel ok I checked again at 16.14 and my BG was 10.1.
Maybe try another one now.. if you hadn't had anything to eat or drink that second 10.1 looks like a real anomaly.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
We do get the odd rogue strip and need to test again.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had something to eat about half hour ago, 3 small pieces of KFC and small fries. I have checked now and my BG is 12.1

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had something to eat about half hour ago, 3 small pieces of KFC and small fries. I have checked now and my BG is 12.1
Well eating KFC and fires won't help much with bringing your levels down I'm afraid. Probably best to leave testing until another day.

Reactions: Roseanne01

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, as already mentioned this could be due to a dodgy test strip, a result of the carbs in your toast 2 days running or you may be about to come down with an infection of some kind. As you say you are feeling more tired and generally off colour today I would be inclined to think the latter. If it’s any consolation I have been seeing higher numbers today than normal, my FBG was good but since then a lot higher than normal, this could be because I was a tad naughty yesterday or maybe I’m sickening for something? Try not to worry, that in itself can raise your levels, do what feels right for the remainder of today and start afresh tomorrow.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh Marcus, Marcus.
Stop with the KFC, the fries, the toast etc.

There is one of two things going on here. Either you are completely unaware of what you are doing, in which case we can try and help you, or you are having us on.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am inclined to agree with those who think this might just be a rogue strip. When I get a reading that surprises, or worse, shocks me, I usually do a retest straight away, and even a third. In any case, strips and meters are not 100% reliable, we just have to look for general trends. If the same pattern recurs tomorrow, that will be more significant. On the other hand, IMO if you can get away with eating 3 slices of toast, or Kentucky chicken with fries, there is not much wrong with your bg

Are you storing your strips away from sun, heat and damp? ie NOT in the bathroom or next to the stove in your kitchen.

Reactions: Marcus1234

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi All,

I have just tested again and I am now 13.9.

From reading your replies I am beginning to think I may be a bit wet behind the ears with this type 2 diabetes. I did not see any harm in eating KFC, I could understand with the fries due to the carbs or am I looking at all this wrong?
I have been eating low carb bread most days and did not think this was wrong either, I am still a newbie and maybe I have tried to run before walking.
My test kit is kept in my work bag under my desk in the office so not in direct sunlight.

Am I doing this all wrong?

Thanks

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

From reading your replies I am beginning to think I may be a bit wet behind the ears with this type 2 diabetes. I did not see any harm in eating KFC, I could understand with the fries due to the carbs or am I looking at all this wrong?
I have been eating low carb bread most days and did not think this was wrong either, I am still a newbie and maybe I have tried to run before walking.
My test kit is kept in my work bag under my desk in the office so not in direct sunlight.

Thanks
Carbs are present in bread (toast) whether "low carb" or not. Also in the "breading" on the KFC and as you say most certainly in the fries that came with the chicken. I think we need to give you some lessons in Low Carb eating if you want.
Do you cook or do you mainly eat take away/fast food ?

Reactions: briped

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

Thanks
Me again.
Marcus, not all low carb breads are that low especially if you have 3 slices, for example I have an occasional slice of toast at 3.9g per slice so 3 slices whould be almost 12g if however the bread you are having is hovis for example at I think around 9g that would be 27g quite a big difference. The KFC as you rightly guessed is a no no for the fries and although you thought the chicken would be OK it may be that the coating is not.
I use an app that allows me to track carb, fat, protein and calorie values it's called Nutrachek I think others use it too, there are others available have a look on the App Store or similar to find something that you think you can work with, I find it helps keep an eye on things, you type in the food you want to eat and the amount or weight, it gives you the carb value and keeps a running tally for the day so you can adjust as you go. I have been known to swap a food item rather than exceed my allowance but then I have also had carbs to play with on some days. It can be useful to help meal planning and you can always compensate over the week if you do over indulge one day just reduce your total for the coming days.
Hope this helps you?

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP's data seems to suggest he is "Insulin dependent". Does that not change the rules a bit for T2s?