rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
Marcus
Step 1: don’t panic. Stay calm. You are not going to keel over tonight because you had some KFC.
Step 2: work out a plan for tomorrow that avoids carbs altogether- see what that does to your numbers
You are testing so that’s good but you need dietary advice- there is loads on here and some helpful responses already.
While things settle though weird stuff will happen to your numbers - things like exercise can affect it as well and strips can be dodgy. The overall trend will help as you get your diet under control.
I don’t like giving advice but do yourself a favour and stay out of KFC for a bit.
Everyone here wants to help you - we’re on your side. Hang in there.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Marcus
Step 1: don’t panic. Stay calm. You are not going to keel over tonight because you had some KFC.
Step 2: work out a plan for tomorrow that avoids carbs altogether- see what that does to your numbers
You are testing so that’s good but you need dietary advice- there is loads on here and some helpful responses already.
While things settle though weird stuff will happen to your numbers - things like exercise can affect it as well and strips can be dodgy. The overall trend will help as you get your diet under control.
I don’t like giving advice but do yourself a favour and stay out of KFC for a bit.
Everyone here wants to help you - we’re on your side. Hang in there.
Thanks Rhubarb, I think I'm anti KFC now lol.
I certainly don't want another day like today or to start on the health anxiety road again.
Will take the advice from here and take step back, reassess my diet and not to panic, I will start over again tomorrow and hope I have a better day.
Thank you.

Reactions: rhubarb73

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just checked your KFC are you sitting down, the fries were a massive 41.8g for regular 60.6g for large plus 11.5g for the wings, for not very much quantity of food it’s a high number of carbs plus your toast this morning it’s so easy to eat way more than you intend to if you have no way of knowing the values.
It’s good advice from others to get rid of what you can from cupboards, I did the same, maybe your wife will join you in low carb eating for a while, it might help if only one meal is being prepared regardless of who is cooking. I don’t have that luxury but I do have my own cupboard now filled with all the strange and sometimes unpronounceable ingredients I cook with. There are days when my other half makes it easy and is happy to have eggs and bacon for tea, he is also quite a dab hand at whisking up an omelette for us at breakfast time, they take no more time to make then toasting and spreading toast, we had a challenge one morning to prove this.
It’s still early days but little by little you will come to know the good, the bad and the ugly regards carb values and once you see results in lower numbers both on the meter and the scales this will spur you on.
Thanks Janey, is 48g a lot in carbs for diabetcs? this carb diet is really confusing me. Can I ask what app you use for carb monitoring?
Thanks

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Marcus1234

Read the forum, digest it and then formulate a list of some sensible questions as currently, you don't have a clue. Most don't starting out, so it's not being critical
Yes you are right, I don't have a clue, I thought I did but I haven't.
Thanks

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think we are on a similar time line although I started Metformin pre results because of my symptoms and now on 3 times a day. I seem to manage a good proportion of the day low or no carb then get lost as to what else to eat and blow it. It’s certainly not easy, but I am sure each day it will get easier, I am already eating far less carbs than a week ago. Keep it up you are doing fab
Hi Nikkie,
Are you a newbie too? My DN said my meds won't be increased until my next blood test and it will be decided if they are stopped or increased.
Thanks

Reactions: NikkieDuranie

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Nikkie,
Are you a newbie too? My DN said my meds won't be increased until my next blood test and it will be decided if they are stopped or increased.
Thanks
My next blood test is in 3 months

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is exactly the right attitude. As they say it's a marathon and not a sprint.
So can I eat salted peanuts? Because I do like peanuts and if I can I will buy some for a snack.
I'm always hungry and struggle on what I can and cannot eat, then I end up starving and eat junk.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another snack, pork scratchings, I get Mr Porkey's lite version as they are easier on the teeth.

I also have a recipe somewhere that uses ground up scratchings as breadcrumbs over chicken pieces it's very good.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another snack, pork scratchings, I get Mr Porkey's lite version as they are easier on the teeth.

I also have a recipe somewhere that uses ground up scratchings as breadcrumbs over chicken pieces it's very good.
I love pork scratchings, that's good to know.

jayney27

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Janey, is 48g a lot in carbs for diabetcs? this carb diet is really confusing me. Can I ask what app you use for carb monitoring?
Thanks
Hi I think you will find there are a lot of people who would consider that amount of carbs too many especially for one meal. To put some context to the numbers I aim for between 30g - 50g in total for all my meals and any snacks, there are many days when I don’t go over 30g when I started I tried not to have more than 75g per day, I wasn’t taking any meds so I don’t know if you can have a higher amount of carbs than I did, hopefully someone who took meds can give you a suggested total to aim for.
I use the nutrachek app, I have attached a screen shot that shows my values for today, it’s over my preferred 30g but I did eat out at lunchtime and have slightly more carbs for my dessert today than I might normally have.

Attachments

• A28902C7-BD0B-423B-B9CE-924638472F4F.jpeg
    A28902C7-BD0B-423B-B9CE-924638472F4F.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 213
Reactions: hankjam

rhubarb73

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
aubergine
It is low carb high fat.
Fibre is good but not if it is loaded with carbs.
There is a widespread perception that if food is low in fat and high in fibre then it must be healthy- so eat your curtains because they tick both boxes.

Reactions: xfieldok

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I think you will find there are a lot of people who would consider that amount of carbs too many especially for one meal. To put some context to the numbers I aim for between 30g - 50g in total for all my meals and any snacks, there are many days when I don’t go over 30g when I started I tried not to have more than 75g per day, I wasn’t taking any meds so I don’t know if you can have a higher amount of carbs than I did, hopefully someone who took meds can give you a suggested total to aim for.
I use the nutrachek app, I have attached a screen shot that shows my values for today, it’s over my preferred 30g but I did eat out at lunchtime and have slightly more carbs for my dessert today than I might normally have.
I can see that if your combined meals equal 30-50g and my one meal was 40 plus then that is a lot of carbs in one sitting.
Thanks for the app info I will have a look.

Reactions: hankjam

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Marcus1234 sorry to hear about your health anxiety. I’ve suffered a lot over the years from depression and anxiety but not specifically health anxiety. One thing I know for sure though is that for me stress and anxiety has a big connection to my blood glucose as a reaction to the cortisol. My main tool to lower my bgs has been low carb high fat mixed with fasting but I’ve also needed to get to grips with my anxiety too to level things out. Not easy I know but worth thinking about what works to lower your anxiety and use these methods as often as possible. Mindfulness works for me I use the Headspace app but sure you’ve got some methods that help.
Meanwhile why not take the pressure off a bit? Rome wasn’t built in a day and you could look at it as one day at a time - tomorrow is another day. You will feel strange when sugars are going up and down so you need to settle them by working on your anxieties and also lowering your carbs bit by bit. I’d also maybe not test too much for a bit. Why not test just before your main meal and two hours after to see what impact it has had? Doing this for a few days may worry you less and also help you to see if you’re getting carbs right.
Don’t try and do everything at once you will get there if you tackle one day at a time take care