Bg Today Not Good

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Marcus1234 sorry to hear about your health anxiety. I’ve suffered a lot over the years from depression and anxiety but not specifically health anxiety. One thing I know for sure though is that for me stress and anxiety has a big connection to my blood glucose as a reaction to the cortisol. My main tool to lower my bgs has been low carb high fat mixed with fasting but I’ve also needed to get to grips with my anxiety too to level things out. Not easy I know but worth thinking about what works to lower your anxiety and use these methods as often as possible. Mindfulness works for me I use the Headspace app but sure you’ve got some methods that help.
Meanwhile why not take the pressure off a bit? Rome wasn’t built in a day and you look at it as one day at a time - tomorrow is another day. You will feel strange when sugars are going up and down so you need to settle them by working on your anxieties and also lowering your carbs bit by bit. I’d also maybe not test too much for a bit. Why not test just before your main meal and two hours after to see what impact it has had? Doing this for a few days may worry you less and also help you to see if you’re getting carbs right.
Don’t try and do everything at once you will get there if you tackle one day at a time take care
Thanks Shelley 262.
My health anxiety has been awful in the past, my last bad build up to nearly breaking point was when I knew there was something wrong and I wouldn't go to the doctor, I joined this forum undiagnosed and got support to visit my doctor I was then diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This to me was a victory, not my diagnosis, but because I had overcome my fears and visited the doctor, in a way it was like the diagnosis came second over the fact that I had achieved the impossible by going to see the doctor.
I thought I was getting stronger with going to the doctor but today I feel I'm not that strong after all, if a bad day can almost bring me to my knees what will I be like in the future.. I do fear that I may start the cycle again and end up in my own personal health anxiety hell because of diabetes. It is Iike I have taken 1 step forward and 3 steps back.
I will try my relaxation before bed and hopefully feel better tomorrow. I'm not willing to give up yet and will keep trying.
We are due to go on holiday on Thursday and hope I can feel somewhat better for then.
Thanks again.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Shelley 262.
My health anxiety has been awful in the past, my last bad build up to nearly breaking point was when I knew there was something wrong and I wouldn't go to the doctor, I joined this forum undiagnosed and got support to visit my doctor I was then diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. This to me was a victory, not my diagnosis, but because I had overcome my fears and visited the doctor, in a way it was like the diagnosis came second over the fact that I had achieved the impossible by going to see the doctor.
I thought I was getting stronger with going to the doctor but today I feel I'm not that strong after all, if a bad day can almost bring me to my knees what will I be like in the future.. I do fear that I may start the cycle again and end up in my own personal health anxiety hell because of diabetes. It is Iike I have taken 1 step forward and 3 steps back.
I will try my relaxation before bed and hopefully feel better tomorrow. I'm not willing to give up yet and will keep trying.
We are due to go on holiday on Thursday and hope I can feel somewhat better for then.
Thanks again.
I know you can get back in balance - nothing has really changed just your panic has kicked in temporarily. Good idea to chill and have a good rest. Tomorrow is another day and it does get better. It’s just it is harder when you have anxiety issues and you need to remember to manage this too . You will get there one day at a time.

Reactions: Marcus1234

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if the others would agree with me but as you are going on holiday soon, and it sounds like you need it, maybe leave the meter at home.

You have only just started your journey. Why not have a break and let some of the info sink in.

Eat sensibly whilst you are away, drink red wine rather than beer.

Come back refreshed and ready to start again.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't know if the others would agree with me but as you are going on holiday soon, and it sounds like you need it, maybe leave the meter at home.

You have only just started your journey. Why not have a break and let some of the info sink in.

Eat sensibly whilst you are away, drink red wine rather than beer.

Come back refreshed and ready to start again.
Thanks xfieldok,

Reactions: xfieldok

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks xfieldok,
In fact I would agree take some time out while you are away to relax a bit.. maybe take one book with you if you like reading on holiday.
If you do I would suggest "The Diabetes Code" by Dr Jason Fung.
It may explain some of the worries you have and is written in a way even I with no medical background can understand.
If you don't fancy taking it with you maybe order it so you have it ready at home when you get back.
There is a lot to take in and sorry if we have overwhelmed you with help (which can sometimes be almost as daunting as getting no help at all). As people above have said you are in it for the long haul and we'll do all we can to help.
Have a great holiday and try to relax (just not to many KFC's and try to cut back on the chips).

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Marcus, it is not unheard of for a T2 to have a hypo or coma but it is very rare and Metformin will not cause this.

Your numbers are all over the place because of what you're eating.

More importantly, stress causes our BG to jump through hoops.

You are in danger of getting in to a vicious circle. Your anxiety is kicking in with these numbers and it may be that it has some effect on your BG.

An hour before bed do another test. If you feel it is too low, have a very small snack. Test again and it should set you up for a good night's sleep.

The meter is the most valuable tool we have. It tells us how food is impacting on our levels, what we can eat and what we can't.

There are some people who can't test because it is too stressful for them. I hope you are not one of these. I hope you can overcome your anxiety because I don't think you have that much work to do to get back to normal numbers.

Bacon and egg for breakfast, NO toast!

Been doing this for thirty years, though now insulin. You shouldn’t hypo on just Metformin. Though you may rebound and scare yourself. If it’s under 6 before bed have a small snack. Crispbread or low carb fruit. Also I fed apps useful for calculating carbs in food. I live MyFitnessPal. Pain at first but if you can get used to having the same or similar meals you'll soon crack your own answers. How d luck and keep chatting.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In fact I would agree take some time out while you are away to relax a bit.. maybe take one book with you if you like reading on holiday.
If you do I would suggest "The Diabetes Code" by Dr Jason Fung.
It may explain some of the worries you have and is written in a way even I with no medical background can understand.
If you don't fancy taking it with you maybe order it so you have it ready at home when you get back.
There is a lot to take in and sorry if we have overwhelmed you with help (which can sometimes be almost as daunting as getting no help at all). As people above have said you are in it for the long haul and we'll do all we can to help.
Have a great holiday and try to relax (just not to many KFC's and try to cut back on the chips).
Thank you bulkbiker

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been doing this for thirty years, though now insulin. You shouldn’t hypo on just Metformin. Though you may rebound and scare yourself. If it’s under 6 before bed have a small snack. Crispbread or low carb fruit. Also I fed apps useful for calculating carbs in food. I live MyFitnessPal. Pain at first but if you can get used to having the same or similar meals you'll soon crack your own answers. How d luck and keep chatting.
Thanks Roseanne01

Reactions: Roseanne01

NikkieDuranie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nikkie,
Are you a newbie too? My DN said my meds won't be increased until my next blood test and it will be decided if they are stopped or increased.
Thanks

Yes I am Marcus. Three weeks ago. Was started on meds straight away as Hb was 83 and fasting 17

I have started making dietary changes and have seen much better numbers when low carb or no carb. As someone else on here has said it’s not a sprint. Some meals I get it completely wrong, but very much work in progress

You can do this, try and relax it will help. Do some reading about LCHF being informed on what you can have will really help

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@Marcus1234
Greetings from down under. Some solid information for you on the last four pages. Never mind, I began all over the place too but thanks to reading around here it's all going great. Nearly three years ago I didn't know what to do. The NDSS guidelines ( Aussie version of the diabetes gurus and service providers ) wasn't working. Stumbled on this place, lurked for about 9 months and followed the low carb way. Haven't looked back. It does take time so be patient. I took around 2 to 3 months to get regular good readings.

One thing you haven't mentioned is whether or not you're overweight. If so, it really does make a whopping difference. Don't discount it. Have a look at all the successful profiles here and you will find that many of these have shown serious weight reduction and maintaining a healthy weight. I dropped from 106kg down to 88kg and the impact on blood sugar control was amazing.

Try not to worry too much about daily highs and lows. Focus on the trend. Record your readings and after say a week, see if the average is heading in the right direction. As you get closer to acceptable levels the daily extremes become lower as well.
Have fun,
Glenn

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I am Marcus. Three weeks ago. Was started on meds straight away as Hb was 83 and fasting 17

I have started making dietary changes and have seen much better numbers when low carb or no carb. As someone else on here has said it’s not a sprint. Some meals I get it completely wrong, but very much work in progress

You can do this, try and relax it will help. Do some reading about LCHF being informed on what you can have will really help

Yes I have been reading on the LCHF diet and don't know if that would be ok for me because I have high cholesterol.
When I had my appointment with the DN she told to me to avoid nearly all of the good foods that I have seen on the LCHF list and eat foods in the Amber light zone?.

LCHF= Green light (Good foods), Amber light (Foods in moderation), Red light (Stay away from foods)

"The recommendation of the low carb, high fat diet is that people eat full fat versions of dairy food in preference to low fat options. The diet does not rule out fatty meats and instead encourages people to leave the fat on rather than removing it."

Yet I have been told I have to eat low fat diet by my DN.

I think this is what is confusing me with my diet.

Thanks

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your BG meter calibration could be erratic when faulty. Try another meter on same diet and if repeated see your diabetic team.

Mick1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks xfieldok,
I guess there is already plenty to take in, so I'm not going to add loads more. I simply want to say this:

Stay calm, do things slowly, you have plenty of time to get things right, you just need to keep moving in a positive direction, which you are. Any sudden changes will cause you to have unpleasant symptoms, these won't help your feelings of panic. By testing your blood after meals, you will learn what to avoid altogether, or eat in smaller portions. This is the key - you have to find what works for you, it will take time, but the more you understand and deal with, the better your control. You will make mistakes, after nearly three years, I still do, but in the words of the supermarket slogan, every little helps. Stay away from beans on toast and good luck with your journey...

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess there is already plenty to take in, so I'm not going to add loads more. I simply want to say this:

Stay calm, do things slowly, you have plenty of time to get things right, you just need to keep moving in a positive direction, which you are. Any sudden changes will cause you to have unpleasant symptoms, these won't help your feelings of panic. By testing your blood after meals, you will learn what to avoid altogether, or eat in smaller portions. This is the key - you have to find what works for you, it will take time, but the more you understand and deal with, the better your control. You will make mistakes, after nearly three years, I still do, but in the words of the supermarket slogan, every little helps. Stay away from beans on toast and good luck with your journey...
Thank you

steveis36

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Wow
I know if i eat 1 slice of bread my bgs will go up let alone 3 slices.
And even with 27g of porridge my bgs would shoot up.
For me im going to try AGAIN a very low carb.
As my bg would be as low as 4.8 and first thing 9mmol to 13 depending on what i ate the evening before.
As im on boarder line diabetic im desperately trying to stabilize my bg and hopefully get insulin level normal as well.

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Yes I have been reading on the LCHF diet and don't know if that would be ok for me because I have high cholesterol.
When I had my appointment with the DN she told to me to avoid nearly all of the good foods that I have seen on the LCHF list and eat foods in the Amber light zone?.

LCHF= Green light (Good foods), Amber light (Foods in moderation), Red light (Stay away from foods)

"The recommendation of the low carb, high fat diet is that people eat full fat versions of dairy food in preference to low fat options. The diet does not rule out fatty meats and instead encourages people to leave the fat on rather than removing it."

Thanks

My world. Low carb high fat for diabetes is bad for cardiomyopathy, high protein is bad for kidney disease. No wonder your confused. Just keep going, adjusting and watching all of your numbers. It’s early days and you can do it, the advice is so much better than when I started 30 years ago.

Marcus1234

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I went out and bought loads of fruit, veg, chicken, turkey, wholemeal bread, wholemeal crackers, reduced fat cheeses, spreads, oils. Thought I was onto a winner. Started eating and BG goes crazy.
DN says no fats, spreads, cheeses, yet LCHF says eat plenty of them. A rock and a hard place comes to mind.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Thanks
Why not take the middle road. I’m tackling my high LDL bad cholesterol at the moment while keeping my HDL good cholesterol high as possible so following the Mediterranean style fat approach as outlined in the Poppi diet by cardiologist dr Malhotra. That means high fats like nuts, seeds, olive oil, oily fish etc. Would recommend this book - I got for a couple of quid on amazon and it is low carb and high fat but focuses more on med fats. It may also pacify your DN if you say you’re doing a med style low carb diet med diet is in vogue at moment. Interestingly too dr Malhotra doesn’t exclude many of the sat fats just the dodgy over processed veg oils and trans fats which you should avoid. An interesting read I found and he explains cholesterol very well and simply and how it’s not the evil we’ve been lead to believe!
Book is currently in the two for 7 quid promotion so found another book for a pressie so that each worked out at 3.50. Maybe good holiday reading?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pioppi-Die...d=1530527079&sr=8-1&keywords=pioppi+diet+book

briped

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I went out and bought loads of fruit, veg, chicken, turkey, wholemeal bread, wholemeal crackers, reduced fat cheeses, spreads, oils. Thought I was onto a winner. Started eating and BG goes crazy.
DN says no fats, spreads, cheeses, yet LCHF says eat plenty of them. A rock and a hard place comes to mind.

If LCHF is the hard place, then maybe it isn't so hard after all. May I suggest that you eat after your DN's recommendations for one or two weeks and test your BS right before the meal, and again after 2 hours. Jot down all results. Then do the same but eating LCHF, again test your BS before and 2 hours after the meal. Compare the results, and see the difference between the two. I believe the result will tell you what's best for you. Mind you, low carb means low carb. Try to avoid bread (even low carb and bread crumbs on ready made foods till you get the hang of it), rice (even the brown) starchy veggies grown underground, including potatoes, fruit and pasta. I promise you you'll see a difference. It's an experiment, but I believe I know the outcome :)

Reactions: zand