BGL base level high

MoonUnit

Hello,

I was looking for some advice please. I have only just plucked up the courage to take control of my T2D diagnosis and take steps to rectify the problems.

My blood sugars have not really been controlled other than a cursory glance at my FBGL on a morning every now and again (always high). My last HBA1C in April was 101.

I digress.

For the last week, I’ve really taken control. I’ve tracked my fasting BGL and my BGL before and after each meal. I’ve gone LCHF/Keto for the last week and have had average of less than 50g of carbs per day.

However, my before meal and after meal BGL seem to be doing great now (within 2mmol of variance according to DiaConnect) but my actual levels of BGL still seem high.

For example - today I woke up with fasting BGL of 18.8. I fasted all morning until 1pm and tested 17.5 just before I ate lunch. Lunch was 17g of carbs and I then tested at 18.4 just after 3pm. So I’m very happy that there is no more spiking after meals (seem to have found my carb tolerance level) but still very concerned that my BGL is so high.

Is this normal or should I be worried? I’ve only be actively tracking etc for a week so should I leave it longer?

Also, I use a Sinocare BGL monitor I bought off Amazon. Not sure how accurate it is.

Thanks.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Your levels are pretty high but they can take a while to come down when you first take control.

Have you informed your surgery?

MoonUnit

They are aware of my HBA1C and so I presume they must know that my daily BGL is high?! I haven’t contacted them since starting the new plan, no.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is too soon to expect your base levels to drop significantly from such a height. You have only been doing this for a week. Have patience, carry on as you are doing (you are doing great) and hopefully you will see improvement.

Some meters are better than others, but all meters on the market have to meet the same accuracy standards.

Reactions: MoonUnit

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
They are aware of my HBA1C and so I presume they must know that my daily BGL is high?! I haven’t contacted them since starting the new plan, no.

As the others have said, you probably need more time to see whether low carbing will reduce your levels. But am curious as to what your surgery said about your hba1c. Have they offered you (more?) medication? What meds are you on at present? Your last hba1c corresponds to an average bg of 15.5 mmol/L

Reactions: Mad76

MoonUnit

The surgery have been pushing me to take medication since I was diagnosed but I’ve resisted so far, for various reasons. Not least because I felt like accepting medication was accepting it was lifelong condition that couldn’t be cured. But deep down I knew it was my lifestyle that got me in to this mess and it would be a change in lifestyle that could get me out of it. I’ve got my next HBA1C check next week so I’m hoping to see a tiny improvement and then my next HBA1C in October I’d like to be well on the way to getting in remission levels.

Reactions: EllieM

Jfb123

I am in a similar position. Just starting to take control. Been increasing exercise over last three weeks and last week did my first fasting mimicking diet/low carb. I have highish FBG in the morning (around 8.5 usually) and at present not able to get that down. Comes down later in the day but usually have gradual increase from about 10:30 on (even if haven’t eaten anything!) before goes down in afternoon for a bit before starting g to rise again (again even if I haven’t eaten). I am losing quite a lot of weight, about three quarters of a stone in about 3 to four weeks. From what I read in articles and forums, it takes a while to come down due to the body releasing glucose from fat stores. Does this stop when the fat has gone? I think, but am not sure, that for some ppl insulin sensitivity improves when the belly fat goes? And if you do it just right you might get some new pancreatic beta cells (the wee jobbies that make and squirt out insulin)??? Could that be too good to be true?

MoonUnit

My levels have come down lots since my original post - thankfully! My spiking is still under control and my base levels have come down to around 10ish now. Although my fasting levels can be around 8 or 9 on a morning.

It’s only early days I guess as I’ve been doing it 4 weeks so I need to allow time for my body to adjust. I’ve got a LOT of fat stores so perhaps I won’t see the drop into non-diabetic numbers until I lose more weight.

Reactions: Hopeful34