Biggest bugbear

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Biggest bugbear for me has to be the word.........
DIABETES.
It tells me diddly squat.
People tell me there " diabetic ". I need more:banghead::banghead::banghead:
The media headline " groundbreaking treatment of diabetes ". Please please tell me which diabetes.

Diabetes without type is meaningless.

@mountaintom , @therower and @Mel dCP , if you tell me what type I have, I'll gladly oblige and let everyone else know as well. As it is, I was only diagnosed with diabetes, so presumably type2. Started on tablets, went to basal insulin after 4 weeks and quit tablets and started bolus insulin 2 weeks after that.
Works pretty good with me, so I don't really see the need for further blood test to try to find out what type I have as it wouldn't make a difference to my treatment. Blood test might even be inconclusive.
I chose LADA on this forum, as it fits my diagnosis and treatment most. In threads where it might be an issue I always make clear I might be type2.
So what do I do now I know it is so important for you to know what type I have? Ask for blood tests on the grounds that some people on a forum think diabetes without a type is meaningless? Or be happy like it is?

[Edit by moderator, to chop sense into quote merge.]

Last edited by a moderator:

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
New name for T1?

PEBIS?

Pancreas
Eaten
By
Immune
System

I’ve taken to saying I’m allergic to carbohydrate (as well as meat and dairy) these days. Seems to stop people insisting I can “have a treat” with cake, chips etc.

D

Deleted Account

One of my diabetes bugbears is having to carry so much paraphernalia * around with me all the time.
I should be able to run out of the house with a credit card, phone and door key.
Now I have a bag full of spare insulin, glucotabs, meter, pricker, test strips, pump set change, ...

I sometime wonder about getting a larger handbag on the NHS ... until I think about what that bag may look like :)

*One small benefit is that I get to write "paraphernalia". What a lovely word.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultants who don't listen to a word you are saying, and sit there making changes you know are just going to make everything worse.

Or even better, outright accuse you of lying because it doesn't quite fit the story they are trying to tell themselves.

Reactions: Dodo

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That I can’t have a day off from thinking about it. Not even one.

I have the unfortunate knack of looking really well when I feel like hammered cr*p, so people assume there’s never a problem.

When people say I should just eat what everyone else does at a special occasion to “treat myself” and just medicate for it. I’ve got allergies to meat and dairy that give me breathing difficulties (my lung capacity halves) and I can deal with that by inhaling ventolin but feel terrible for several hours after. Obviously I can’t process carbs without insulin, but again, I feel sluggish and horrible for hours after eating them. And spike and possibly hypo. I don’t think they’d say to a kid with a nut allergy to eat a bowl of peanuts and just use their epipen after, would they? Not much of a treat, in my book.

When you’re out for a meal and people think you’re being difficult just for asking what’s in the food. Because I need to know this stuff. I have a local cafe who are absolutely wonderful, and just make me what I ask for even when it’s not on the menu. And always bring me a massive pot of mayo with my usual avocado salad because they know I do keto and want extra fat.

Having to carry a lunch bag when I go on a long drive just in case I can’t find suitable food when I’m away from home.

Having to teach my son how to do blood tests (he actually quite enjoys it, the little toad) just in case he comes in and finds me unconscious. He’s saved my life twice now by calling an ambulance when I had DKA, he was only eight at the time. He has to remind me to check my sugars when I’m being cranky too. It’s a lot of responsibility for a child. But he’s taken it in his stride and is utterly wonderful <3

People who say “get well soon” when I know I’ll never be well again. You just smile, knowing they mean well, but it’s another reminder of the permanence of T1.

Waking at half six to do some Novorapid for the impending liver dump and then at 8 for Tresiba. I might bring my Tresiba forward to the same time and do them both together - I’ve only just discovered dawn rise is happening thanks to the Libre so am fiddling with timings. I did do a foot on the floor at 8 with the Tresiba but have had to make it earlier to kick it in the nuts before it starts.

Being late for things because my BG is a little too low to legally drive and I need to bring it up. I do try to keep an eye on that an hour or so in advance, but don’t always get it right. More stuff to think about!

Going hypo when I’m working. I’m a jewellery silversmith, and I’ve stuffed a few things up by my sugars dropping quickly. One thing I’ve found that since eating very low carb is that hypos are much rarer and come on more slowly, which makes them easier to nip in the bud. But still.

People who think I should do blood tests and injections in public toilets when I’m out.

But apart from all that, it’s fine :D
Your son sounds like a wonderful little man. I remember when my boy used to make me jam sandwiches when he knew I was having a hypo. What would we have done without them"

Reactions: Juicyj

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
New name for T1?

PEBIS?

Pancreas
Eaten
By
Immune
System

I’ve taken to saying I’m allergic to carbohydrate (as well as meat and dairy) these days. Seems to stop people insisting I can “have a treat” with cake, chips etc.

Ah yes, but then people might start to believe that the immune system is really a cute fluffy little puppy that misbehaved one day and ate your slippers.

It's really more like it desperately needed the loo, even though things weren't quite ready yet/it hadn't made it to the bathroom, but it went anyway and sprayed it everywhere.

You are evidently much politer than I am :p

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great bugbear and oh so true. You try your hardest and it turns around and bites your ar*e ( save the mods a job :)).
Since using a dexcom I've been able to see this "wonderful " phenomenon in real time. 6 to 15 within the hour whilst training. That adrenaline is potent stuff:banghead::banghead::banghead:.
I've started taking IOB prior to heavy weights sessions now, it's all a bit trial and error at first but is unbelievably affective if you get it spot on or even close. It does go against all what we've been taught and is a scary option when you first do it.
Only setback is.....once you bolus for exercise you've got no cop out from doing the workout session.
It is something I would definitely recommend with careful monitoring. Start low with the insulin and take it from there.
Glad it isn't just me. I am going to do that as am now at 16.4 because I did a 1 hour class and underdosed at lunch to avoid a dextrosol dash. Thanks for the encouragement.
I also remember the reverse happening ! My mum made me eat a mini mars bar prior to a running session which was then cancelled. I was the only kid running around the track a few times to burn off the sugar load (fixed doses in those days it seems).

Reactions: kev-w and Dodo

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If only the "B" was next to a different key on the keyboard. I might get strange looks if, as I woman, I mistyped "I have a PE..IS" :)
Glad it isn't just me. I am going to do that as am now at 16.4 because I did a 1 hour class and underdosed at lunch to avoid a dextrosol dash. Thanks for the encouragement.
I also remember the reverse happening ! My mum made me eat a mini mars bar prior to a running session which was then cancelled. I was the only kid running around the track a few times to burn off the sugar load (fixed doses in those days it seems).
I find taking IOB about half hour before hitting the gym works for me. Half hour plus 10 min warm up and then my sugars start to rise after about 15 mins into workout at which time my novorapid kicks in. As with everything diabetes though, consideration of carbs on board / insulin on board and muscle groups being trained all have to be accounted for.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@helensaramay . Apologies I have no idea how you have appeared on my previous post.
I really am useless with techno stuff:banghead:

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
PEBIS, yes @helensaramay, I had that thought too. Easy to say. Hard to forget. How about IOD, Insulin or Die?

Reactions: LooperCat

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Consultants who don't listen to a word you are saying, and sit there making changes you know are just going to make everything worse.

Or even better, outright accuse you of lying because it doesn't quite fit the story they are trying to tell themselves.

Change your consultant or just say no.
I am so lucky to be listened to and supported by my wonderful team. As mine always says, it is your diabetes and nobody knows it better.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
it is your diabetes and nobody knows it better.

nice statement! Wish I have so nice Doc too. I have meeting once a year, 15m session to check the HbA1c, question about smoking (I smoke), prescription of 50 strips for next year, and done. See you next year...

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Only setback is.....once you bolus for exercise you've got no cop out from doing the workout session.

OK, here's how I see official DAFNE advice appearing in a few years time to deal with that sort of thing:

"In the event of the insulin dependent person pre-bolusing to counter-act adrenal system driven rises caused by intensive non-cardio exercise:

If it is then decided by the user that they can't be ar*ed going to the gym after all, consider the following options as clinically sound advice to mitigate the risk of hypoglycemia:

(1) pop into Greggs for a steak bake to soak it up. Users should be advised that Greggs are, "all over the place these days", so it is unlikely they will be unable to locate one.

(2) if option (1) is likely to prove insufficient for onboard insulin requirements, the user should be advised to, "nip into one of them Tescos Express, they've always got those Krispy Kreme cabinets at the front."

There you go, @therower, a fool-proof plan B figured out!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I think remember 'Con Air' incorrectly portraying symptoms of not taking insulin, but am giggling writing that as not many will remember that film here
I remember that, it was so irritating - he had his insulin a few hours late and was immediately going to die.... Puh---leeze. I decided not to watch Steel Magnolias when I heard that the T1 character died because of diabetes in pregnancy. Don't think I remember a single film where diabetes is dealt with realistically.

Reactions: kev-w

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I remember that, it was so irritating - he had his insulin a few hours late and was immediately going to die.... Puh---leeze. I decided not to watch Steel Magnolias when I heard that the T1 character died because of diabetes in pregnancy. Don't think I remember a single film where diabetes is dealt with realistically.

What about Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters..?
Reinforcing the stereotype... :stop:

Last edited:

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
These posts about films and TV getting it totally wrong are ringing a bell for me.

There's a decent Scandi-noir drama on British TV at the moment, Below the Surface.

Bunch of people get taken hostage and held for ransom somewhere off the Copenhagen underground tram system for ransom.

Needless to say, one of them, Leon, turns out to be some kind of unspecified diabetic.

One moment he's fine, next, after a sharp edit, he's unconscious on the floor. Maybe he's T1 and lost all hypo awareness, let's go with that for the sake of editing.

Anyway, luckily enough, one of the co-hostagees is a trainee nurse. She says he needs sugar: good call.

A few scenes later, they're on the phone to the negotiator (they're fair captors - if a man needs sugar, he needs sugar), but, whoah, then they're ignoring the nurse and it turns into a vague, "we need medicine", which turns out to be insulin, even though the guy was showing nothing like going dka to the point of getting unconscious.

So, a special agent comes down in the lift dressed as a medic, ostensibly to deliver the 'medicine", turns into a gun battle, bit of a mess, some innocent people are hurt, but Leon, who is probably neuroglycopenic hypo by this stage if the nurse's hypo call is right, ends up getting a shot of, erm, something, probably insulin if what was said earlier in the flaky "diabetic drama plotline" is kept to, and wakes up 20 seconds later as if he's just had a nice nights kip -there we go, all better.

Hmm, let's just say I'm unconvinced. Here was me thinking the Danes always paid a lot more attention to detail....

jlarsson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
mods who selectively modify posts for explicit language that isn't explicit
These posts about films and TV getting it totally wrong are ringing a bell for me.

There's a decent Scandi-noir drama on British TV at the moment, Below the Surface.

Bunch of people get taken hostage and held for ransom somewhere off the Copenhagen underground tram system for ransom.

Needless to say, one of them, Leon, turns out to be some kind of unspecified diabetic.

One moment he's fine, next, after a sharp edit, he's unconscious on the floor. Maybe he's T1 and lost all hypo awareness, let's go with that for the sake of editing.

Anyway, luckily enough, one of the co-hostagees is a trainee nurse. She says he needs sugar: good call.

A few scenes later, they're on the phone to the negotiator (they're fair captors - if a man needs sugar, he needs sugar), but, whoah, then they're ignoring the nurse and it turns into a vague, "we need medicine", which turns out to be insulin, even though the guy was showing nothing like going dka to the point of getting unconscious.

So, a special agent comes down in the lift dressed as a medic, ostensibly to deliver the 'medicine", turns into a gun battle, bit of a mess, some innocent people are hurt, but Leon, who is probably neuroglycopenic hypo by this stage if the nurse's hypo call is right, ends up getting a shot of, erm, something, probably insulin if what was said earlier in the flaky "diabetic drama plotline" is kept to, and wakes up 20 seconds later as if he's just had a nice nights kip -there we go, all better.

Hmm, let's just say I'm unconvinced. Here was me thinking the Danes always paid a lot more attention to detail....
As a Scandinavian, I find it incredibly weird how Britain seems to love our TV and movies when I personally find the overwhelming majority to be of very poor quality with bad writing and dialogue etc. I'm not Danish though and even though I can understand them in writing reasonably well their speech is as nonsensical to me as it is to you. :)