bit of a wibble

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so annual review, just over 12 months since T2 diagnosis.
BMI 26 (down but not so much, definitely not slim or fit)
HbA1c 5.8% (40 mmol/mol)
Sodium 143 (very high end normal)
Potassium 3.1 (abnormal low)
tot cholesterol 7.7
triglycerides 1.03
HDL 2.8
LDL 4.4

Feeling miserable.
Yay non diabetic range but what is going on with everything else. Those LDL look scary and potassium is heading towards Atrial fibrillation zone (below 3).
Not expecting diagnosis just could do with a bit of comfort.
Stupid metabolism!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi copilost
Your HbA1C is good - so that's something to be thankful for.

Do you use ordinary salt, or Lo Salt (or supermarket own brand equivalent)?
If not, then switching that may help both your Sodium and your Potassium figures.

In my6 layman's opinion, your Cholesterol figures are goo overall:
Super good figure for HDL
Good, just not great figurer for Triglycerides
These combined mean that its almost certain that your higher LDL is all the good 'fluffy' type, not the nasty glycated or oxidized
type. So it doesn't matter that the number is high when compared to those who are not doing Low Carb.

According to Dr Paul Mason, out of 3 checks he makes on Lipid results, you would be in the very lowest category for CHD risk on at least 2 out of the 3.
I will check and update if you are good on all 3 .

Last edited:

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi copilost
Your HbA1C is good - so that's something to be thankful for.

Do you use ordinary salt, or Lo Salt (or supermarket own brand equivalent)?
If not, then switching that may help both your Sodium and your Potassium figures.

In my6 layman's opinion, your Cholesterol figures are goo overall:
Super good figure for HDL
Good, just not great figurer for Triglycerides
These combined mean that its almost certain that your higher LDL is all the good 'fluffy' type, not the nasty glycated or oxidized
type. So it doesn't matter that the number is high when compared to those who are not doing Low Carb.

According to Dr Paul Mason, out of 3 checks he makes on Lipid results, you would be in the very lowest category for CHD on at least 2 out of the 3.
I will check and update if you are good on all 3 .
Thanks for swift reply (feeling needy :))
I don't really add salt at all, however, I find cheese topping is good, which in all honestly is salt. I do like my salty foods. My understanding of my really high LDL is that it's probably good if you are lean and fit, possibly not if you are otherwise and have a family history of strokes/chd etc which is me on mother's side of the family. Although in reality the research hasn't been done so who knows. The potassium bothers me too.
I guess I have to focus now on getting fitter and losing weight (which I haven't been, just trying to nix the diabetes). I really love my LCHF diet and I feel so much better so it is all a bit of a blow.
I moved house this week and lifted/shifted furniture/boxes etc for prolonged periods. I could not have done that a year ago.

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian mentioned swopping salt for Lo Salt because it has a lot of potassium...

upload_2020-7-30_17-26-29.jpeg

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
so annual review, just over 12 months since T2 diagnosis.
BMI 26 (down but not so much, definitely not slim or fit)
HbA1c 5.8% (40 mmol/mol)
Sodium 143 (very high end normal)
Potassium 3.1 (abnormal low)
tot cholesterol 7.7
triglycerides 1.03
HDL 2.8
LDL 4.4

Feeling miserable.
Yay non diabetic range but what is going on with everything else. Those LDL look scary and potassium is heading towards Atrial fibrillation zone (below 3).
Not expecting diagnosis just could do with a bit of comfort.
Stupid metabolism!

Trig/HDL the "marker" for heart disease best lower than 0.87

yours is 0.37 amazing!

Maybe supplement with some "Lo salt" which has potassium chloride to replace some of the sodium chloride so a win win for you?

And great news on the 40 mmol/m HbA1c sounds like you're doing everything right. Well done!

Edit to add ... oops read the other replies first Mark....

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ian mentioned swopping salt for Lo Salt because it has a lot of potassium...

View attachment 43004
Thank you I appreciate all suggestions due to being mostly clueless :) I did think about that but I don't add salt! Should I use and add just for the potassium? I eat potassium contributing foods.....the doctor has proscribed potassium supplements but given my diet it shouldn't be low. Sorry not asking you to fix it just explaining my worry/fear/frustration at not knowing what I should be doing. aargh ( a technical term for lost)

JenniferM55

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Think bananas must be pretty potent for potassium. My husband loves them, unfortunately he's being monitored every two weeks with a blood test for the medicine he's on, the doctor was very concerned about 6 weeks ago because his potassium level was very high, something we found could be an issue with the drug. A week or two of not having any bananas brought the level back down to normal. Normally he'd eat about 10 bananas a week.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very easy to supplement potassium.
I've been doing it for... um... 20 odd years.
I've come to the conclusion that I don’t absorb it properly, since mo matter how much I eat, I still need to supplement to keep adequate levels.

well done on the cholesterol, and I would challenge any doc to produce evidence to justify it, if they wanted to muck up such good ratios.

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
7.7 total cholesterol? I'm surprised you didn't get the 'statins' talk :D I too have family history of heart attacks and I got a 6.9 on my last test and got the talk. My HDL and Trigs were good though, but my LDL high. I wondered about that too until I saw the Dr Mason video above.

Your figures look excellent. Well done! :)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm surprised you didn't get the 'statins' talk
I did and will again no doubt. I wish doctors were better educated and had more time (the second might explain the first). How can they keep up to date with developments and ongoing debates? Stops them having ideas of their own and challenging the status quo.......ah!

Reactions: Jam&Scones

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is very easy to supplement potassium.
Good to know. Do you have any recommendations? Also LCHF foods (I eat leafy greens and have substituted pasta with courgettes so loads of those plus tomatoes, fish and meat, and dairy. Bit stumped as to what else to try). I could try a banana with my meter a few times I suppose......Honestly if I was going to include fruit in my diet I'd pick Russet apples not bananas :)

copilost

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I'm off to celebrate my non diabetic - not even pre diabetic - status. Achieved in a year of LCHF.