Bloated [emoji30]

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi people, I've just started low carb yesterday to help with my symptoms, I have s bit of a headache but actually feel quite good, but I do have a few questions,

Is bloating normal for the first few days? I feel huge!! And I mean huge!!! And worrying a bit as I'm a bridesmaid in 6 weeks and I definitely can't put any weight on as my dress won't fit. I'm now getting anxious if I'm doing the right thing.

Also I feel like I'm eating so much fat and feel really unhealthy. Today I've had ...

B. 2 X Brazil nuts
2 bacon, tomatoes and mushroom cooked in olive oil with a coffee with a little cream and soya milk

S- coffee with cream and a few pecan nuts

L- cheese omelette cooked in a little goats butter, left over bacon and cucumber

Strawberries and cream as I needed something sweet

Oh and water

Is this ok? Or and I getting it wrong? Thanks guys and girls :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
What new foods have you added? Dairy? Or did you always ear dairy? Dairy bloats me like crazy and you seemed to have a good amount. What other foods have you added?
There is the low carb flu but one day seems a tad early for that to start.
If your body isn't used to fat it could be an adjustment. Some fats are easier to break down for some people. Mono/ plant fats are easier for me such as avocado, olive oil, mayo. Nuts I have to keep in small to moderate portions. Saturated fat takes longer to break down so stays within your digestion longer.

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
It could be the diary as I don't usually have cream, so it could be that. I usually have Soya, so I may have to stick with that, apart from the diary, bacon and frying food, I usually bake or steam

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would suspect the cream and cheese. I'm just bloating thinking about it.

Did you used to eat a lot of carbs?

You don't have to gob fat, fry foods, lick the fat off the plate ( haha). Just kick the carbs off your plate and eat reasonable amounts of healthy fats. Many of us eat a more Mediterranean diet. Moderate amounts of protein ,Fatty fish such as salmon and tuna, other types of fish and poultry. above ground veggies, and some healthy fats like olive oil and avocado, a few nuts or seeds. The idea is to replace carb calories with fat calories but it doesn't take much as fat has twice the calories as carbs.

My diet is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs. As an example of what I eat everyday is
BF 1/2 an abocado with celery at 8 am
Snack T noon. 3 pecans or a pinch of pumpkin seeds
3pm lunch. 2 oz protein ( salmon tuna lamb shrimp chicken turkey eggs beef) either on a lettuce wrap with mayo or Evoo and a slice of avocado. A few pieces of chopped onion. OR a small chopped salad. Finely chopped celery radish red onion, green onion, chunks of avocado and 2 oz protein of choice drizzled with olive oil.
5 pm snack. Few nuts or celery dipped in a mayo based homemade dip ( mayo mixed with eithe hot sauce, mustard or horseradish)
6:30 dinner. Same as lunch

I prefer small meals. They would all fit in a one cup measuring cup but I chop chop chop. For an 80% fat diet it is full of healthy fats.

A few handfuls of lettuce topped with a T or two of Evoo and some chicken chunks is 80/15/5. Nothing unhealthy about it.

Reactions: 2 people

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Yes I did eat a lot of carbs, I've worked out that every meal and snack had carbs in it.

Oh I definitely prefer what you have suggested, I was looking at an Akins book and I've joined a LCHF group on FB and they only seem to eat bacon, cheese and cream that's where I've been thrown. So the Mediterranean diet style sounds a lot better to me, thank you for your meal ideas too. Do you have avocado everyday?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't go a day without a whole avocado. Lol. It is the perfect bs stabilizing BF and very filling. I spent my life always hungry until avocado. Usually I just smash it with a fork and sea salt for BF. Then lunch and dinner add chunks making guacamole was too time consuming haha but I actually just prefer it with salt and occasionally a few roasted pumpkin seeds.

I hear you on LCHF forums. All about dripping bacon grease, pouring butter over everything, 800 calorie coffees with coconut oil and butter. Etc. check out their BMIs !! As I said I prefer Mediterranean fats. Olives, Evoo, nuts and avocado. I still keep calories low. They do matter. Also LCHF is NOT high protein.

Many do well with dairy. I don't. Even if I don't bloat it packs pounds on

I think the mono fats will be easier to switch to. Another phenomenal book is the Rosedale diet. One of my favorites

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I love avocado so that makes me happy!!! I didn't even think about having it as a breakfast, sorry for lol the questions but do you have a whole one for breakfast or half?

I read what some people eat and drink .... Like the coffee and I honestly do think how can you eat like that, even the thought makes me ill. I'm loving the idea of basing my diet around the foods you eat, I will definitely look at that book, thank you so much :)

Kezziej

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Can I ask how you've done with you weight and managing your bs too please

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love avocado so that makes me happy!!! I didn't even think about having it as a breakfast, sorry for lol the questions but do you have a whole one for breakfast or half?

I read what some people eat and drink .... Like the coffee and I honestly do think how can you eat like that, even the thought makes me ill. I'm loving the idea of basing my diet around the foods you eat, I will definitely look at that book, thank you so much :)
Yes tailor your diet to suit you, you don't have to eat high fat if you don't like it . I don't do the fry ups, cream butter or the fatty coffee..tried it revolting.. but I have good oils,olives some nuts and avocados which I think are healthier than saturated fat. I don't eat red meat and no sausages or bacon so mostly I have fish eggs cheese and sometimes turkey or chicken. I have never had a weight problem so don't really know how a lot of fat would affect that it is high calorie but those who LCHF say they loose weight

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 52 years old at the moment. I started Atkins 25 years ago and lost 20 #'s fast. I then ditched ALL dairy and ALL grains including low carb breads , wraps, pita etc. I then lost 10 more pounds and was 125. So for 25 years I have maintained my weight at 122 now and holding steady. I am now, as of 2 years ago a type 1 diabetic and insulin dependant. I'm positive this would have happened much sooner if I didn't eat the way I do.
The key for me is a ketogenic diet. I picked my carb level at less than 20 per DAY, a moderate amount of protein ( approx 1 g per kg LEAN body mass) and just enough fat to satisfy. I eat 2 oz protein for lunch and dinner and sometimes a small piece of deli turkey with my 1/2 avocado at BF.
Who wants to cook 2 oz protein? I don't so I cook a lot in bulk and freeze in 2 oz portion baggies. I always have chicken, turkey, shrimp, salmon, roasted lamb chops and beef slices in the freezer. Also hard boiled eggs, canned salmon and tuna. Then every day I decide what I want for lunch and dinner and defrost in a bowl of cold water for 20 minutes. I also prechop onions, green onions, radishes, scallion and celery and keep I bowls in the fridge. Meal time is a simple assembly. Makes kitchen time and clean up much easier. I used to be a great cook so I have found ways to make foods very fresh, tasty and simple. I use flavored olive oils and herbs to mix things up.

I eat 1/2 avocado for BF and a big slice lunch and dinner but leave a little for snack. I buy BIG ones too lol. There are not enough avocados in the world for me. Haha. I always have at least 4 ripe ones in the fridge and 4 ripening on the counter. I stagger them as far as ripeness. They keep quite awhile in the fridge after they are ripe. I don't like mushy ones so just as they have a little 'give' I pop them in the fridge.

If you ate a lot of sandwiches, all those toppings can go on a piece of romaine, I even love a rare burger with mustard mayo sauce, sautéed onion and mushroom crumbled up on a wrap. Cold crunchy vs warm and gooey. My favorites.

I take the smallest amount of insulin possible eating this way. The key to mitaining my steady weight and great bs is also eating this way. I prefer small meals and a few small fat snacks like nuts or olives. I don't digest large meals well so this works to keep insulin, bs, weight and stomach happy.

Many on this forum eat low carb grains and dairy and it may not effect their bs but they do mine. More so, my weight.

This is the plan that works for me but we are all individual. If you have any other questions or need ideas I would be happy to help.

Ps. I don't eat chicken skin and nut butters on celery sticks make a great snack or small meal.