Blood glucose reading 12.6

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have regular readings of over 12.6 i wondered what is considered to be an emergency situation ?
I am on diet only.
I thought I had this all controlled well.I am not doing well tho!
type 2 . hbaic was 6.1 about a year ago
Is anyone else struggling on diet only?
I am getting really fed up with this diabetes situation.......... I hardly have many carbs and no sweet anything! I keep falling alseep still at work.....hahhahaha.
A trip to the doctor , if I can get an appointment that is , within 2 weeks ! :lol:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yoda said:
I have regular readings of over 12.6 i wondered what is considered to be an emergency situation ?
I am on diet only.
I thought I had this all controlled well.I am not doing well tho!
type 2 . hbaic was 6.1 about a year ago
Is anyone else struggling on diet only?
I am getting really fed up with this diabetes situation.......... I hardly have many carbs and no sweet anything! I keep falling alseep still at work.....hahhahaha.
A trip to the doctor , if I can get an appointment that is , within 2 weeks ! :lol:

An Hba1c of 6.1 is not disastrous and a little bit inconsistent with having regular readings of over 12.6. Stating the absolutely bleeding obvious I suppose you are giving us the +2 hour reading because you do not say.

If you are giving us the +2 hour reading then the reading is very high for someone who hardly has many carbs and no sweets. In this case I would review the components of the food. Some of it has carbs in by the back door. When new to this I discovered that chicken kievs and goujon gave me very high spikes. I then discovered that they didn't really have much chicken in them and it was mostly flour.

I guess you keep a record of what you eat that gives you such a high reading. Maybe a closer look at that ...........

If you are doing it all correctly and are still in trouble then stronger medication may be necessary.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your reading is high but not an emergency. It does sound like you need another HBa1C soon and probably meds as you are already low-carbing. Metformin is the normal drug for the GP to start you with. If you are quite young and not overweight do let us know as the diagnosis could then be suspect.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
12.6 is too high for a safe consistent reading, but not an emergency!
I suspect there are a few carbs hiding in your diet. How about keeping a food diary for a week and noting down the daily readings and times you do them?
If you weigh your food, you can analyse EXACTLY what you eat by using on-line data. It's a bit arduous, but a week may show you what's happening and it's not for long.
Hana

yoda

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the comments suggestions .

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Regular readings of 12.6 are too high IMHO and will almost certainly be the reason for your being tired at work, a perfectly normal result of running high blood sugars.

In your position I would see my doctor and ask about what medications would suit me best, there are a number of different types of diabetic medication available that work in different ways.

Running high blood sugars can cause problems in the long term and if you can not control them by diet alone then the sooner you get on medication the sooner you can get your blood glucose under control and sort out the tiredness which is obviously causing you concern at the moment.

Medication is not a sign of failure and many hundreds of thousands of diabetics use them to help with their control, diet is obviously important as well but it is a question of getting the right balance for youself :thumbup: