Blood glucose vs fructose ( testing at home).

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Testing blood glucose at home also checks for fructose or not. ? I eat 2-3 Apples a day, this can affect my average blood glucose or not,

Guilty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, fructose is handled slightly differently by the body, and may result in a lower increase in blood glucose. But it will still increase it. And your finger prick test will show any effect.

Apples definitely increase my bg. But not excessively. And they are a healthy food. So I include them in my diet.

Go by your checks at home and see how they affect you.

Reactions: saky and Omar51

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Testing blood glucose at home also checks for fructose or not. ? I eat 2-3 Apples a day, this can affect my average blood glucose or not,
I use apples to treat a mild hypo, so yes, they raise blood glucose.
If you want to know how they affect you, what about testing your BG, eat the apple and then test again after 1 hour and two hours?

LittleGreyCat

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Just double checked.
Allegedly apples contain fructose, sucrose and glucose.
So there will be some effect regardless of the fructose.

I think that fructose goes to the liver and is converted to fat, although this could be simplistic.

I can't immediately find anything that suggests a blood glucose monitor will also detect fructose (if it even gets as far as the bloodstream).

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As I understand it, fructose is handled slightly differently by the body, and may result in a lower increase in blood glucose. But it will still increase it. And your finger prick test will show any effect.

Apples definitely increase my bg. But not excessively. And they are a healthy food. So I include them in my diet.

Go by your checks at home and see how they affect you.

I have been testing a lot after eating 2 apples a day with skin, fiber in skin helps my metabolism.
So far apples do not spike my blood glucose a lot. Thanks for the reply.

Omar

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just double checked.

I think that fructose goes to the liver and is converted to fat, although this could be simplistic.

I can't immediately find anything that suggests a blood glucose monitor will also detect fructose (if it even gets as far as the bloodstream).

Thanks for the reply. I will still eat apple but limit one or two smaller ones. Your answer was helpful.

Omar

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to know how they affect you, what about testing your BG, eat the apple and then test again after 1 hour and two hours?

I have been testing after eating apple and they do not affect my BG that much. Thanks for the reply.

Omar

Reactions: Antje77

jonathan183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Fructose is not detected by a blood glucose meter, but that does not mean it will not cause issues. Fructose in fruit is likely to be OK because of the fibre content (does not apply to fruit juice). Basically the liver has to deal with fructose, it can be easily overloaded with fructose from process foods and soft drinks. If you want more details take a look at some of the information from Dr Robert Lustig.

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fructose is not detected by a blood glucose meter, but that does not mean it will not cause issues. Fructose in fruit is likely to be OK because of the fibre content (does not apply to fruit juice). Basically the liver has to deal with fructose, it can be easily overloaded with fructose from process foods and soft drinks. If you want more details take a look at some of the information from Dr Robert Lustig.

Thanks I will check information from Dr Robert Lustig.
Omar

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I will do this experiment in a few days. Test first, eat whole apple , test after one hour and again after two hours
Thanks for the suggestion.

Omar

Reactions: Antje77

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I will do this experiment in a few days. Test first, eat whole apple , test after one hour and again after two hours
Thanks for the suggestion.

Omar
I will be following your tests with interest! I am too nervous to try an apple myself ;);)

Reactions: Omar51

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just double checked.

Blood glucose monitors only pickup glucose. You're right that fructose is processed in the liver, however it's converted to glucose there. This may be released into your system, however if it's not, excess glucose in the liver can lead to NAFLD and can promote insulin resistance in the liver.

All fruit contains varying percentages of fructose, glucose and fibre. The higher the fibre and the lower the glucose percentage, the less the fruit will impact blood glucose levels and insulin response.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
@Paul_ while I agree that fructose has less effect than glucose immediately, I have seen it suggested that it's effect can be worse than glucose in the longer term - which is why Dr Gary Fettke goes by the handle @FrutoseNo on Twitter.

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Paul_ while I agree that fructose has less effect than glucose immediately, I have seen it suggested that it's effect can be worse than glucose in the longer term - which is why Dr Gary Fettke goes by the handle @FrutoseNo on Twitter.
I read quite a bit about fruit and diabetes after I was diagnosed and agree with you (good expert you've mentioned there too, I liked what I read from him). I love apples and blueberries, so was hoping they'd be ok. However, I also have NAFLD, so was quickly put off building in any significant quantity of frustose to my new post-diagnosis diet.

I guess it's all down to moderation. There are definite nutritional benefits to fruit and these shouldn't be ignored, but neither should the downsides and risks.

• Informative
Reactions: Omar51 and aylalake

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After 10/12 years of no fruits. In order to deal with my high cholesterol. I made some diet changes, added an apple and some berries. Now again I have cut down 50% fructose. I guess moderation is probably the keyword!

Reactions: MrsA2 and Paul_

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will be following your tests with interest! I am too nervous to try an apple myself ;);)

I tried one whole big red apple , little at a time in whole day. Apparently my BG was not high (within my expectation). After reading a lot about Fructose vs Glucose. I think moderation is the key word for me.

Omar

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried one whole big red apple , little at a time in whole day. Apparently my BG was not high (within my expectation). After reading a lot about Fructose vs Glucose. I think moderation is the key word for me.

Omar

My fructose experiment is over, it turned out that I am fructose intolerant. I keep on changing my diet. Still eat on meter. Lot of vegetables are high fructose too. Nowadays I eat a half green apple a day. One quarter with lunch and dinner, just for metabolism!

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
My fructose experiment is over, it turned out that I am fructose intolerant. I keep on changing my diet. Still eat on meter. Lot of vegetables are high fructose too. Nowadays I eat a half green apple a day. One quarter with lunch and dinner, just for metabolism!

Sorry to hear that @Omar51. I feel your frustration.
I too undertook your apple experiment, thanks to your posts, and so far I can tolerate half a Pink Lady apple, or 6 small/2 huge strawberries and 8-10 raspberries. I am more than happy with that, as a few months ago I couldn’t even have any.

Reactions: Omar51

Omar51

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that @Omar51. I feel your frustration.
I too undertook your apple experiment, thanks to your posts, and so far I can tolerate half a Pink Lady apple, or 6 small/2 huge strawberries and 8-10 raspberries. I am more than happy with that, as a few months ago I couldn’t even have any.

Thanks @aylalake for sharing your experiment, for now I can only eat half a small green apple a day and still have low FBG!

• Hug
Reactions: aylalake