Blood pressure medication

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning folks, not strictly a diabetes question but I'd appreciate some input.

I had a heart attack on 9th July and my recovery now is being hampered by high blood pressure and heart rate. BP is around 140/95 and heart rate between 90 - 100 bpm.

Before heart attack BP was controlled with perindopril at around 135/80 and resting heart rate around 60 bpm. I've always been fit and train at least 3 times weekly.

I'm lucky enough to have a very enlightened GP who encourages those willing to research their conditions and is open to suggestions when it comes to treatment.

When I left hopsital I was given a calcium channel blocker (amlodipine) and perindropril for BP. I wasn't prescribed a beta blocker as most people would have been as it "could" affect asthma. Besides the fact it's not working, I'm struggling with amlodipine - nausea, skin rash, light headed.

I have an appointment this afternoon with GP and was considering that a beta blocker may be what I need but would like to hear good/bad/horror stories re beta blockers before I suggest them (or have them prescribed). As best I can find researching it either calcium channel meds or beta blockers.

Thanks.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I can only tell you about my experience of heart problems and this may not apply to you but could be worth more research.

I am inflcted with A-fib amongst other ticker troubles and the heart rate side is controlled very well indeed by a beta blocker known as Sotalol. I take it for the A-fib arrhythmia (60mg every 6hrs) but it also keeps my heart paced very calmly at around 60-65 BPM at rest.
BP is also controlled very well via 5mg Amplodipine and 16mg Candesartan at around 110-120 over 60-70 depending on how close to a meal the measurement is taken. I have a good home monitor (Omron arm cuff type) and check it daily as part of my Expert Patient participation role in conjunction with my GP and the various clinics I have to attend.

Oh yes, and I could not tollerate the standard ACE inhibitors (asthma) such as your Perindropril, so hence the Canedesarten and no dry cough or wheezing.

You did not mention your age .. I am 70 and male.

My home BP monitor:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Omron-Pressure- ... re+monitor

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi Signs, I have been taking Atenolol for years with no problems at all but I take it to control hypertension and have no other history of heart disease

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the input folks.
Got prescribed beta blocker Bisoprolol, low dose at 1.25 to start with and an appointment to review in a couple of weeks.
Looking forward to not feeling like throwing up!
John

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on Bisoprolol 1.25mg (and Ramipril 1.25mg) without any side effects. Hope you get on better with the beta-blocker.

I was on 2.5mg for a while but my BP was too low :crazy: Even now it's often 90 over 50 ish.

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Signs,
I take Doxazosin and Losartan for high blood pressure and they control the condition.
I was on Amlodipine and the drug caused arthritis pain for several years, as soon as I stopped taking it the pain switched off.

I have AF but it cannot be treated with drugs since I am at the other end of the spectrum to you...I have AF but my resting heart rate can be in the low 40's as well as being irregular.
When I walk it goes up to 70/min and becomes regular.

I think your blood pressure needs more investigation. All blood pressure medications have side affects.
Perhaps an heart anomaly after your attack has messed up the b.p.feedback mechanism?
regards
Derek

Signs

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was prescribed Bisoprolol 1.25mg. Started on Wednesday and already resting heart rate is down to between 65 - 75. Blood pressure is still elevated - not sure if that takes a while to come down or if I need additional meds but have another appointment a week monday with GP to discuss.

The day after I stopped Amlodipine (Wednesday) my headache, nausea and dizziness has gone. Also some joint pain that I thought was some old sporting injuries playing up have eased! Only now when I think back I realise that the aches started a few days after Amlodipine.

Thanks for the input folks.