Blood results

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just got my blood results back, I got put on metformin in late December and have been on LCHF for the last 3 weeks.
She said I was doing well but asked for a copy of my levels so I could understand better where I was. The only concern was my triglycerides at 2.2

Does anyone else understand my figures and can help explain them better

Attachments

• IMG_0792.JPG
    IMG_0792.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0791.JPG
    IMG_0791.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 176

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Oh and my keytones are +1 so does that mean my body is now burning on fats rather than carbs ?

Thanks in advance

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It means:

Your HbA1c is 75. which is high.
Your estimated GFR is good (normal)
Liver and kidney functions are normal
Triglycerides are classed as normal but could be much better
Your HDL (good cholesterol) is very low indeed and could do with being a lot higher
Your LDL (bad cholesterol) is normal
Your ratio is high, could be better. This will improve if you raise your HDL and lower your trigs.

Did you fast for this test? If not, that could be why your trigs are a bit higher than ideal.

The figures in the far right column are the normal standard range.

Is there anything in particular you want explaining?

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
She said my triglycerides at 2.2 were high and she will mention it to the Doc to possibly change my cholesterol mess. But then she said my HDL was good and may bring the triglycerides down Due to exercise.
I didn't fast for this blood test. My HBAC1 is coming down which I'm happy about,

She didn't really know much about my LCHF diet it didn't seem but was keen to see my figures in 3 months. So look forward to that test. She did mention the triglycerides could be up due to the LCHF but I have only been doing it for 3 weeks.

It's all a little new to me and just wanted to ensure all is normal. Or going in the right directions really

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It is difficult to say where you are headed with your tests without knowing where you are coming from. It would help to know what your HBA1c and cholesterol numbers were in December or whenever the last test were before this.

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dec HBAC1 was 94. Cholesterol was 5.7. So it's all going the right way. You can see the HBAC1 in the pic of the chart

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
She said my triglycerides at 2.2 were high and she will mention it to the Doc to possibly change my cholesterol mess. But then she said my HDL was good and may bring the triglycerides down Due to exercise.
I didn't fast for this blood test. My HBAC1 is coming down which I'm happy about,

She didn't really know much about my LCHF diet it didn't seem but was keen to see my figures in 3 months. So look forward to that test. She did mention the triglycerides could be up due to the LCHF but I have only been doing it for 3 weeks.

It's all a little new to me and just wanted to ensure all is normal. Or going in the right directions really

Well done on reducing your HbA1c in just 3 weeks on LCHF. That is excellent. :)

To me, your cholesterol and lipids aren't at all bad apart from the HDL and Trigs. Because of this your ratio of 4.8 is high (should be under 4) It is the ratio that is important.

Your HDL is definitely NOT good ... it should be between 1 and 3.5. The higher the better. The more good cholesterol you have the better things will be for you. Cutting carbs right down should help with HDL as carbs are known to deplete it. Oily fish, nuts, chia seeds, avocado and high fibre foods will also help. (Oh .. and a glass of red wine every now and again will also benefit your HDL but watch the calories on that)

To lower trigs you need plenty of Omega 3 from oily fish (salmon, tuna, mackerel etc) and olive oil. At least 30 minutes of exercise a day will also help. Make sure you fast for your next test even if told you don't need to. Triglycerides carry away fats, so if you have recently eaten they will be swimming round in your blood stream doing their job and will show higher in a blood test.

But well done, you are going in the right direction.

Reactions: tristan

tristan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the feedback, gives me something to try for the next test in July. Just keep plugging away between now and then

Reactions: Bluetit1802