Blood sugar after low carb breakfast

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am non diabetic but have pcos and insulin resistance. I am really exploring the low carb way of eating and just trying some simple changes gradually. I usually have 2 weetabix with some high fibre bran on top, a glass of milk and a cup of tea. Usually this makes me feel REALLY tired and headachy. So today I decided to have 2 slices of the brown hovis lower carb bread with Marmite on. Had my glass of milk and cup of tea with it. I have 2 sweetener in it.
Anyway, before breakfast my blood sugar was 5.6 and 1 hour 20 minutes afterwards it was 5.9.
I done a 20 minute dog walk between those times.
I feel really tired and like I have no energy. Thought keeping blood sugars level with insulin resistance wouldn't make you feel like that. Can anyone give me some advice?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Even low carb bread is still pretty carby.. if you had had 3 rashers of bacon and 3 eggs I'd put money on you feeling different and probably not hungry until dinner time.

Reactions: dbr10

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But it hasn't pushed my blood sugar up as much as weetabix would. I think I read before that with insulin resistance, you can feel shaky and rubbish even when it's not as low as say a diabetic would need to be to feel hypo

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you have been used to running high then sudden lows which are in fact "normal" can make you feel odd...The first time I went below 4 (when fasting) I felt a bit odd. However the next few times it happened I wouldn't have noticed had I not been testing. Sorry just noticed you are RH .. not my area of expertise but I reckon you should be ok with the bacon and egg bfast.. why not try it and see what occurs?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 0.3mmol rise is insignificant
Im no expert in RH but would think tracking your sugars 0ver a longer period, say 2-4 hours after eating )would give a better clue on how your body is reacting to the carbs

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 0.3mmol rise is insignificant
Im no expert in RH but would think tracking your sugars 0ver a longer period, say 2-4 hours after eating )would give a better clue on how your body is reacting to the carbs
I was just going by what I read online about testing it one hour then 2 hours after, to see the rise and fall of your sugar level.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was just going by what I read online about testing it one hour then 2 hours after, to see the rise and fall of your sugar level.

I suspect the bread was probably a low GI one, in which case the spike may come later as glucose is released more slowly.

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So is it a good option for going low carb?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What ive read about RH implies the low can come around 3 hours post prandial. I assumed with RH youd be at least if not more interested in when a low appears as what spike you get which I would see as of more interest for T2’s

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
To go low carb you need to alter what you are using for energy - which can take a few days to kick in - it is not just lowering the amount of carbohydrate you eat and not providing any alternative fuel.
To get out of the using carb for fuel setting you need to push your body into using ketones from fat. If you can find a copy of Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution on line to download, or maybe find a hard copy, there is an explanation of how to make the change in there.
During my retreat from diabetes I started to have symptoms of hypoglycemia - I used to get them in my 20s - and needed to alter the timing of my meals and the amounts of carbohydrates I ate with them in order to even out the blood glucose levels.