Blood Sugar in High 20's and GP not helping, please advise

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BG 12/1, two hours after eating,, lowest it's been in over two weeks.

Tomorrow will mark my 14th full day or low carbing. And I don't even want to give up. It's so tempting to cheat, with hubby at work at night, could easily send son to off-licence for some chocolate and he would never know but I don't think my son would go anyway and I really wouldnt want him to.
85% chocolate..I found a few squares gave me a fix, I use to eat a family block in 20 minutes.

cocoa powder, vanilla concentrate, spearmint essence, water, cream...makes a lovely low carb hot chocolate..or cocoa and coffee for a mocha

Reactions: 2 people

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
BG 12/1, two hours after eating,, lowest it's been in over two weeks.

Tomorrow will mark my 14th full day or low carbing. And I don't even want to give up. It's so tempting to cheat, with hubby at work at night, could easily send son to off-licence for some chocolate and he would never know but I don't think my son would go anyway and I really wouldnt want him to.

Well done Scottie, stay strong.
Do ask specsavers if they will change the lenses before you buy any new frames. If they say no, just take your prescription to another opticians. I go to a small independent shop, and they are as cheap as specsavers.
Do let us know how you get on.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, I'm fine Clive, just my eyes are bad. More concerned about you.

Thanks Andbreath and Janie, will see if they will just change my lenses. Does anybody know ig Specsavers do this? Never thought of this beofore so than you both for pointing it out.
you may be best waiting till your eyes settle..I bought cheap reader from the chemist to get by with.

Reactions: 3 people

scottie1

Well done Scottie, stay strong.
Do ask specsavers if they will change the lenses before you buy any new frames. If they say no, just take your prescription to another opticians. I go to a small independent shop, and they are as cheap as specsavers.
Do let us know how you get on.

Thank you Milly, will do x

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Milly, will do x
Hey Scottie im ok thanks. Had very busy day away from home and absolutely no time to eat, so im back now and in bed feeling exhausted and quivery and sickly after only having breakfast today. Feel too sick to eat now so will hAve to tomorrow morning. great result with the 14 reading!!! Bet that felt great!! You're getting there slowly but surely, keep on going, you're doing brilliant. Very proud of you! :)

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Scottie im ok thanks. Had very busy day away from home and absolutely no time to eat, so im back now and in bed feeling exhausted and quivery and sickly after only having breakfast today. Feel too sick to eat now so will hAve to tomorrow morning. great result with the 14 reading!!! Bet that felt great!! You're getting there slowly but surely, keep on going, you're doing brilliant. Very proud of you! :)

Hi Muggle, If your feeling sickly, do you know what your bs are. Should you have a biscuit or something. Don't think it good to olny have had breakfast.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It was 6.6 just before bed. Ive been lower, 5.5. Think ive just done too much today and gone too long without food. Ive never been able to eat late, it has always made me vomit even in childhood. Ive never found out why

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
It was 6.6 just before bed. Ive been lower, 5.5. Think ive just done too much today and gone too long without food. Ive never been able to eat late, it has always made me vomit even in childhood. Ive never found out why

How about a drink then

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like a coffee or something? I could do that I think.
Coffee might not help with sleep, but if you're ok with it, then it'd be fine. If you have it with milk, that'll boost you a little and give your tummy something to work on.

If you have any cream, you could just have a couple of spoonfuls. Again, it would give your system something to work on without jarring your sugars?

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Specsavers do do reglazing (replacement lenses) but when I had a pair done (several years ago) it cost about £40 plus extra if I wanted thin lenses (they didn't explain that it was an extra cost either), and they did tend to go on about how it was better to buy new frames as if anything went wrong with the reglaze I would still have to pay etc. etc. I had the distinct feeling that they really did not want to do it and I would guess that most of their money comes from selling the frames.

I still get my contact lenses from them but I dislike their selling technique for glasses so much that I have decided to go to an independent optians for my sight test and glasses, fortunately he also does the diabetic screening so I can get it all done in one go.

Birdy

Jumping in here. I wear specs full time and am very clumsy so buy cheap Px glasses online. Once I have my eye test results I go online and buy 3 or 4 pairs, which can be from £10 up. Good if Px is likely to change. You don't get to try them on but if you've tried on in store and have an idea of a style and size (inside) arm you can compare online. I have about 30 pairs in every style/colour and save a fortune.

scottie1

Well, I have not lost any weight this week, in fact I have put a pound on. Do not understand this at all, I have been really good, haven't eaten anything I shouldn't and have been watching my potion size. It's a bit of a disappointment, especially since I had such a good weight loss last week.

BG on waking was 18.1. Haven't eaten yet so it may go down. I'm wondering if the high BG results in a morning are something somoone posted about - a dump?

Hope everybody is well and Cive, that you are taking it easy and the pain is bearable.

ETA: I have lost 1lb, got my figures wrrong, thought I had lost more last week but checked My Fitness Pal.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Specsavers do do reglazing (replacement lenses) but when I had a pair done (several years ago) it cost about £40 plus extra if I wanted thin lenses (they didn't explain that it was an extra cost either), and they did tend to go on about how it was better to buy new frames as if anything went wrong with the reglaze I would still have to pay etc. etc. I had the distinct feeling that they really did not want to do it and I would guess that most of their money comes from selling the frames.

I still get my contact lenses from them but I dislike their selling technique for glasses so much that I have decided to go to an independent optians for my sight test and glasses, fortunately he also does the diabetic screening so I can get it all done in one go.

A few years ago I went to specsavers, and yes I found them to be very pushy.
I go to an independent and their service is excellent. I have varifocal glasses, so would not like to try buying them on line. But if single vision, yes I would try buying some on line.

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, I have not lost any weight this week, in fact I have put a pound on. Do not understand this at all, I have been really good, haven't eaten anything I shouldn't and have been watching my potion size. It's a bit of a disappointment, especially since I had such a good weight loss last week.

BG on waking was 18.1. Haven't eaten yet so it may go down. I'm wondering if the high BG results in a morning are something somoone posted about - a dump?

Hope everybody is well and Cive, that you are taking it easy and the pain is bearable.

ETA: I have lost 1lb, got my figures wrrong, thought I had lost more last week but checked My Fitness Pal.

Morning Scottie,
Don't go beating yourself up about your weight.
Did your Carbs & Cals book arrive.
I know your having eye problems at the moment. Can you ask your son for help, with the book.

Good luck with the optician.

Muggle71

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Scottie i hadn't eaten since yesterday morning yet my level was 8.8!! I don't understand that either :( hope you have a good day my dear :)

millysue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Scottie i hadn't eaten since yesterday morning yet my level was 8.8!! I don't understand that either :( hope you have a good day my dear :)

Hi Muggle,
People say, liver dump. I don't know much about it.
Stay strong, I'm sure we will get there.