Blood sugar rise on waking

Tswa

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey guys,
I had a look at some other threads and I couldn't find a clear answer. I'm having a small issue where when I wake up, my sugars are perfect, 6.6, say, but the second I get out of bed, without ingesting ANYTHING, my sugars shoot up to ~10. If I stay in bed, my sugars don't go up, but as soon as I get up, they shoot up. Any advice? I'm on a pump, so should I change my basal rate at night? It's like a weird delayed dawn phenomenon.
Cheers!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tswa ,

I'm on MDI. I can wake on a mid fiver on a week day. Do my morning routine before work. Walk the dog. Get back, test again before setting off to work & find myself at 7.2.. I've eaten nothing.
What's happening to you sounds like a liver dump.

I'll tag in some guys with advice regarding your pump. @Juicyj @catapillar @himtoo .

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys,
I had a look at some other threads and I couldn't find a clear answer. I'm having a small issue where when I wake up, my sugars are perfect, 6.6, say, but the second I get out of bed, without ingesting ANYTHING, my sugars shoot up to ~10. If I stay in bed, my sugars don't go up, but as soon as I get up, they shoot up. Any advice? I'm on a pump, so should I change my basal rate at night? It's like a weird delayed dawn phenomenon.
Cheers!

Agree with @slip sounds like feet on the floor syndrome.

The advice with pump basal rates is to chang your basal rate 2 hours before the rise starts to stave off the rise. Here a link with guidance on basal testing - https://mysugr.com/basal-rate-testing/

But the risk with that is, what happens if you have a lie in? Or someone brings you breakfast in bed? Is the increased basal going to send you hypo if you don't get out of bed? If that's a realistic risk, or you don't have a consistent morning routine, you might be better off just bolusing before you get out of bed.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Never heard of feet on the floor......

The rise following you waking is still part of the dawn phenomenon......at least in my opinion......lol

who came up with that....?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The rise following you waking is still part of the dawn phenomenon
I thought dawn phenomenon happened at about the same time every night. Feet on the floor definitely doesn't, as it only happens after getting out of bed, no matter if I get out at 6 in the morning or 12:30 in the afternoon.

@Tswa , I'm taking insulin right before I get out of bed, regardless of breakfast and ignore that insulin on board when taking my breakfast dose. Works fine for me, but be careful when you try this. My DN thinks I'm crazy for doing this, but I have the graphs to prove to her that it works.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For me its all part of the same process, which is your bodies response to a extended period of fasting......regardless of time....

if the process has been broken down to help people understand it better then that's fine....:)