1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Blood sugars and driving.

Discussion in 'Newly Diagnosed' started by Andykopgod, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Andykopgod

Andykopgod Type 2 · Member

Hi guys hope we are all well, my friend told me that if my blood sugars are below 4.0, im best not driving, is that true? Im a carer and its kind of important in my job. Thanks guys received_259517628475154.jpg

2. June_C

June_C Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

There's a saying. Five to drive, four you're on the floor !!!!

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rokaab

Rokaab Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you are on blood glucose lowering medication such as insulin or gliclazide (possibly some others as well), you cannot drive with low blood sugar - if you do you will be driving illegally and your insurance would likely not cover you for anything should anything happen
    Depends if @Andykopgod is on blood glucose lowering medication or suffers from hypos really

• Winner Winner x 1
    #3 Rokaab, Jun 15, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  4. Andykopgod

Oh blimey, thanks hun x

5. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Plenty of non diabetics drive with blood sugars of 4, or even slightly less, though they may feel hangry. The reason diabetics have to be careful if they are on gliclazide or insulin is that those drugs can make your blood sugar go down significantly less than 4, at which point you can become irrational and even become unconscious.

But as @Rokaab said, it really depends on your medication.... If you manage to control T2 by diet alone then you don't have to worry at all...

6. Andykopgod

Cheers. Im on metformin and my sugars have only gone as low as 4.1, but i do feel very nausious a lot, a bit spacy, iv got my diabetic checkup in August il ask her it its the metformin, iv heard it doesnt agree with everyone.

7. Ushthetaff

Ushthetaff Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I know as type 1 you cant drive with a bs under 5 . Plus you have to have bs meter and glucose with you and have to test every 2 hours not sure how it applies to other types. I’m sure the Dvla website have more info.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Andykopgod

Yeah type 1 is more strict i suppose. Mines mainly diet controlled for now, but in the 4 weeks since diagnoses iv felt pretty ****, especialy during this hot weather. Driving is a bit tricky, i tend to not be as alert as i was.

9. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

If you have been been recently diagnosed. Feeling "spacey" could be the new "norm" from higher BGs, thus making unfit to drive..
    Hey, I'm rooting to carry on as normal.

T1 & As a a driver myself. Technically "Under the influence" if i crashed whilst low.. (On my meds.) 3 year max restricted licence pending on not getting "blue lighted" for passing out.. (Lucky , I never have.)

Loving yer profile pic & a bit of classic Star Wars fan myself plus Rougue one.

What have you achieved diet change & med change wise.? I can tag in appropriate members to help..

10. Resurgam

Resurgam Type 2 (in remission!) · Expert

you should be OK to drive, getting better as you get used to lower levels of glucose.
    I think that you might be as well to tell your insurance company you are diabetic, as a precaution, but as the usual advice to type two diabetics is not to bother testing it seems that no one is much bothered about our blood glucose levels.
    Try drinking more water in the hot weather - I find it makes me feel a lot better, but you don't need to be concerned about legal limits, as they don't apply to us.

11. DiW

DiW Type 1 · Newbie

last year I was issued with a leaflet from the DVLA by my diabetic team regarding driving. You must be at least 6 Or above to drive.

12. Rokaab

Um, I'm not sure that's correct, and also since it looks like Andykopgod isn't on blood glucose medication it doesn't apply to him anyways.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Well-Known Member

https://www.gov.uk/diabetes-driving

https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.g...vers-with-diabetes-treated-by-non-insulin.pdf

For insulin users.

You must be above 4mmol to drive and
    if under 5 you need to take a snack to raise it before setting off.
    If you hypo ( under 4) whilst driving you must return to 5 and be there 45mins before resuming

For sulphonylureas and glinides and group 1 (car) use -
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/diabete...etes-treated-by-medication-other-than-insulin.
    May drive and need not notify the DVLA, provided:
    ■ no more than 1 episode of severe hypoglycaemia while awake in the last 12 months and the most recent episode occurred more than 3 months ago
    ■ should practise appropriate glucose monitoring at times relevant to driving
    ■ under regular review.
    It is appropriate to offer self monitoring of blood glucose at times relevant to driving to enable the detection of hypoglycaemia.
    If the above requirements and those set out in Appendix D are met, the DVLA need not be informed.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #13 HSSS, Jun 16, 2020 at 2:55 PM
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  14. Rokaab

I knew I remembered seeing that somewhere, I just couldn't find it again (so couldn't quote it) :) - they hide the info, thanks for linking it.

15. flowerthym

flowerthym Type 2 · Member

Here in the UK, I received a letter from the DVLC saying that I should notg drive if my BG falls below 4.5 and if it is at 5, then I should eat a small meal before getting behind the wheel. I am Type 2 on insulin and Gliclazide.

16. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Having just renewed my three year restricted licence (common to all T1s) I've got the DVLA's Guide to insulin treated diabetes and driving papers in front of me (they always send them with a renewed licence). The information is exactly that given in the second link @HSSS has put up above. @DiW it's definitely over 5, and there are other requirements. Hope that helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Rylando88

Rylando88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It’s actually illegal to drive at 4 or below for diabetics (not sure if there’s any exceptions), as driving below 4 is considered not fit to control a vehicle. I’m referring to type 1 insulin dependent though like I said I’m not sure if it differs for other types xx

18. Rokaab

It applies to anyone on blood-glucose lowering medications (no matter what type of diabetes) - but Andykopgod does not appear to be using them so is fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. kimberleyanneb

kimberleyanneb Type 1 · Newbie

DVLA guidelines state that you are not to drive with a blood sugar lower than 5. If you do your insurance will not be valid and they can revoke your license

20. Rokaab

Again as I just stated just before your post that applies if using blood-glucose reducing meds which Andykopgod has said he is not (he is on metformin but that does not count as a blood-glucose lowering drug)

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook