Blood Sugar's & When To test

sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Hi Everyone I have not been on here for quite some time.. My question is both myself and husband have now been prescribed Gliclazide & testing strips, we was just told to test but was never told when.. Can someone tell me when we should be testing is it before meals after meals when we get up or go to bed.. Think we was both shocked when she gave us the perscription for test strips, her exact word's where now you on Gliclazide you need to monitor your blood sugars.. Any help would be much appreciated ..

Thanks

Sandra

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Recommended to test before and 2 hours after first bite. You may wish to test 1 hour but only if you want to know the spike value. It is recommended that the rise after 2 hours is no more Than 2mmols.
The reason for testing on your meds is to make sure that you don't go hypo which is possible on gliclizade.
Have a read around and ask questions. You will learn a lot.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, if either of you drive you must test before you get behind the wheel to make sure your levels are OK. You don't want a hypo whilst driving. I also believe you need to inform the DVLA but I could be wrong about this - check what it says on line.

If you are interested in learning what particular foods do your levels so you can adjust your diet, then do as Nosher says and test before you eat and 2 hours after you start. Any more than a 2mmol/l rise and there are too many carbs in that meal, which need to be reduced portion wise or avoided completely. This is the best way of learning how to control your levels. You should be aiming for under 7.8 at 2 hours (under 6 before). If you cut those carbs you will reach these targets.

You can also test first thing in the morning as soon as you get up and before you start pottering about. You should be aiming for under 6. If it significantly above this, try testing before you go to bed to see if your liver is dumping glucose over night.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only thing I would add to the foregoing is because you are on Gliclazide, which can cause hypos, you should also test any time you feel off, or think you may be going low - irrespective of timing.

How many strips have you been prescribed a month? Because of the requirements for driving (and general hypo), it is important you don't run out.

sandra1960

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Ignorant people,
Hi Nosher, Bluetit, AndBreath, & Douglas.... Thank you all very much for your replies they are much appreciated. Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been diagnosed with a heart condition... So as you can imagine that has taken preference over every thing else. I will take on board all you have said and go from there.. Once again thank you all for the replies..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Nosher, Bluetit, AndBreath, & Douglas.... Thank you all very much for your replies they are much appreciated. Sorry I have not replied sooner but I have been diagnosed with a heart condition... So as you can imagine that has taken preference over every thing else. I will take on board all you have said and go from there.. Once again thank you all for the replies..

Sorry to hear that Sandra. I hope they can sort it all out for you quickly.