Blood sugars

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've have had type 1 diabetes for coming up two years I also have anxiety. I was ill for months with no one knowing what was wrong with me. When I went to the doctor the last time they check my blood sugar to see if I had diabetes the meter read 35 and they couldn't believe I was able to walk in the room and I should of been in a coma. Now nearly two years on I've cut sugar out of my diet completely and don't eat much natural sugars either cos I'm terrified it will go high again doctor and family tell me it will never go that high again if I eat little bits but I'm even scared to do that. I was just wondering if anyone going or have gone through the same thing as I never really spoken to other people with diabetes. They also lowered my insulin to 1unit in the morning 2 before lunch and dinner and 4 before I go to bed if anyone could help that would be helpful x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @elouisexxx :) You shouldn't be scared to eat.

Have you been shown how to count carbs?

What are your blood test results like in an average day?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No not yet I haven't

Ok, well I'd push to be shown how to do that. It's not hard, and it means your blood sugars will be better controlled.

I recommend the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's excellent for Type 1s.

Before you had Type 1, your pancreas could basically react to the carbs you ate, and produce the right amount of insulin. Now you're injecting insulin for meals, you have to do that.

I see you're on fixed doses for meals. That's fine, but it does mean you need to eat around the same amount of carbs for each of those meals each day.

You do not need to be afraid to eat {{hug}} The insulin, used correctly, will keep your blood sugar controlled and well below 35.

Reactions: Struma

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok, well I'd push to be shown how to do that. It's not hard, and it means your blood sugars will be better controlled.

I recommend the book Think Like A Pancreas. It's excellent for Type 1s.

Before you had Type 1, your pancreas could basically react to the carbs you ate, and produce the right amount of insulin. Now you're injecting insulin for meals, you have to do that.

I see you're on fixed doses for meals. That's fine, but it does mean you need to eat around the same amount of carbs for each of those meals each day.

You do not need to be afraid to eat {{hug}} The insulin, used correctly, will keep your blood sugar controlled and well below 35.

Ok thank you I'll ask my diabetes nurse if she could show me how to count carbs and definitely be looking for that book thank you again x

Reactions: azure

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've have had type 1 diabetes for coming up two years I also have anxiety. I was ill for months with no one knowing what was wrong with me. When I went to the doctor the last time they check my blood sugar to see if I had diabetes the meter read 35 and they couldn't believe I was able to walk in the room and I should of been in a coma. Now nearly two years on I've cut sugar out of my diet completely and don't eat much natural sugars either cos I'm terrified it will go high again doctor and family tell me it will never go that high again if I eat little bits but I'm even scared to do that. I was just wondering if anyone going or have gone through the same thing as I never really spoken to other people with diabetes. They also lowered my insulin to 1unit in the morning 2 before lunch and dinner and 4 before I go to bed if anyone could help that would be helpful x
I'm kind of in the same position as you at the moment! have you spoken to your DSN about it? although I carb count I have still developed a 'fear' I found the courage to tell my DSN last month, after months of bottling it up, he has arranged to see me more regularly for a while, getting me to see the dietician again, got my appointment with the consultant brought forward and is also arranging for me to see a psychologist, my fear has developed because I already have eye problems and I'm not even a year into my diagnosis and although I have good control the problems keep coming back x

elouisexxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm kind of in the same position as you at the moment! have you spoken to your DSN about it? although I carb count I have still developed a 'fear' I found the courage to tell my DSN last month, after months of bottling it up, he has arranged to see me more regularly for a while, getting me to see the dietician again, got my appointment with the consultant brought forward and is also arranging for me to see a psychologist, my fear has developed because I already have eye problems and I'm not even a year into my diagnosis and although I have good control the problems keep coming back x

I have see my diabetes nurse for ages cos she said my sugars are so controlled she doesn't need to see me as much x

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have see my diabetes nurse for ages cos she said my sugars are so controlled she doesn't need to see me as much x
If you get in touch with them and tell them how you are feeling they may see you more often, I emailed my DSN and he called straight away, you cant suffer this way in silence it will grind you down, it has me so I completely understand x