Blood test Liver worry

Anfalas

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
I have been for my usual blood test recently and got a call that my doctor needs to discuss my liver test results with me as they were abnormal. I need to wait a week for this and am really worried. I don't know what to think. If it was really bad 5heyd see me straight away I think. But still.

Did anyone have a similar experience?

Jam&Scones

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, my levels have been all over the place since I was diagnosed. But no one is 100% sure it is an issue - it could be down to the fact I was losing lots of weight at the time and I have gallstones. I'm getting another test in a month and my weight has been steady for a few months now, so we shall see!

My understanding is the liver enzyme test cannot tell you much by itself - only with other tests can it diagnose any issues. High levels might have shown as a flag and the doctor wishes to discuss some other tests which might help eliminate potential issues.

Good luck!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I was also told that I had one liver result that was out of the normal range, but GP was not particularly concerned since they scheduled next blood test for 6 months .

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had no contact with my GP since diagnosis, but at that time my liver was large and hard.
When I tried to bend over my ribs were pushed out - very painful.
I went straight to LCHF eating, like I had done on Atkins and my liver has shrunk down and softened, I can now clean the bottom of the fridge and get to things right at the back of the shelves - my waist is a lot smaller too. Livers can, and do, recover.

Caprock94

I had abnormal liver blood tests off an on for a few years before diagnosis. Never made the connection. Most likely you have fatty liver. Once I went low carb, it reversed in a matter of weeks. All tests normal ever since. Don't panic.

In fact, if it is just elevated liver enzymes it likely means fatty liver. Correct that, and you may very well see improvements in blood sugar numbers. See the Newcastle DIRECT study by Roy Taylor for more info.

Reactions: plutoniumcard

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,
I have been for my usual blood test recently and got a call that my doctor needs to discuss my liver test results with me as they were abnormal. I need to wait a week for this and am really worried. I don't know what to think. If it was really bad 5heyd see me straight away I think. But still.

Did anyone have a similar experience?
My non-alcoholic fatty liver was diagnosed just a week or something, before the T2 was. Low carb/high fat took care of it, as well as my diabetic levels... So if you haven't gone down that route yet, might be time to look into it.