Blood test results - advised to take a statin

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke to the surgery pharmacist today. Regarding my HbA1c result, he said to keep doing what I'm doing, but recommended Atorvastatin. Here are the numbers he gave me:
Total cholesterol6.7
Triglycerides2.2
HDL1.0
Non-HDL5.7
HbA1c37
I just wondered what people think?

Reactions: shelley262

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
2 questions.
Was this a fasting test? ( I always fast for my cholesterol tests even though they tell me not to )
Have you lost weight recently?
Both of these can put up trigs temporarily.

And well done on your HbA1c result!

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It wasn't, but I probably fasted (I normally do). And yes, I have lost weight (nearly 4st) recently. Thank you for the comment on my HbA1c - I was pleased with that.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I spoke to the surgery pharmacist today. Regarding my HbA1c result, he said to keep doing what I'm doing, but recommended Atorvastatin. Here are the numbers he gave me:
Total cholesterol6.7
Triglycerides2.2
HDL1.0
Non-HDL5.7
HbA1c37
Congratulations on your hba1c really well done. 're cholesterol given that you have lost so much weight recently you could consider delaying until weight loss is settled and asking for a review at your next test in six months. Meanwhile you could do research into statins to see if they are right for you. I ask for a fasted (12 hours water only fast) full lipid panel which will give you a full picture of your lipids to help you make a decision. I am personally statin intolerant - they caused me too much muscle pain so I couldn't be active as I wanted to be.

• Informative
Reactions: aylalake

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Congrats on your HbA1C - that's a really good number.
As to the other numbers, your HDl is a bit low (better would be a little under 2.0) and as has been mentioned your Triglycerides are rather high, though this may well be due to being in a weight loss phase.
Mine are almost the opposite to yours HDL 2.07, Trigs 1.06

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to take a statin, but would like to improve my numbers by lifestyle changes only. I do smoke and drink red wine.

Apart from waiting for my weight loss to settle down, what would be the other factors which would help?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Total cholesterol6.7
Triglycerides2.2
HDL1.0
Non-HDL5.7
HbA1c37
I'm reading "The Clot Thickens " by Dr Malcolm Kendrick
All about cholesterol, ldl and ststins and the theories behind. Well worth a read
Then, at least, you could make an informed decision

LivingLightly

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Congratulations @IanBish on lowering your BG levels from an HbA1c result that was well into diabetes territory, down to 37 mmol/mol in less than a year; that's some accomplishment.

We're all different, but statins can raise blood glucose levels and may cause other undesirable side effects. Our practice nurse is strident about recommending statins. My husband, who is not diabetic but has a family history of heart disease, takes them without ill effects. A diabetic with a strong family history of coronary heart disease, I've tried two different brands, but experienced unacceptable side effects, so both were discontinued. I declined the trial of a third brand.

I'd be inclined to defer your decision on statins until your next review in 4 months time. Book an early morning blood test and go fasted. If the blood work then confirms your type 2 diabetes is in remission, your lipid profile is in good order and your weight remains steady, then you may want to reconsider.

Q. Apart from waiting for weight loss to settle down, other factors which would help?
A. Give up smoking!

Thanks for sharing. Your success with blood glucose control and weight management will encourage newly-diagnosed members to do all they can to reduce their BG levels and lose weight, if necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: aylalake

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm reading "The Clot Thickens " by Dr Malcolm Kendrick
All about cholesterol, ldl and ststins and the theories behind. Well worth a read
Then, at least, you could make an informed decision
Thank you. That could well be my next Audible book.
Congratulations @IanBish on lowering your BG levels from an HbA1c result that was well into diabetes territory, down to 37 mmol/mol in less than a year; that's some accomplishment.

Q. Apart from waiting for weight loss to settle down, other factors which would help?
A. Give up smoking!

Thanks for sharing. Your success with blood glucose control and weight management will encourage newly-diagnosed members to do all they can to reduce their BG levels and lose weight, if necessary.
Thank you. I mentioned my HbA1c result already, but thanks anyway. I know, I know... about the smoking. I've been thinking about stopping for a while now. I have a long weekend away at the seaside tomorrow, and when I come back, I'll give it a good go!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to take a statin, but would like to improve my numbers by lifestyle changes only. I do smoke and drink red wine.

Apart from waiting for my weight loss to settle down, what would be the other factors which would help?
Stop smoking - not specifically for statin, but for heart and general health.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Total cholesterol6.7
Triglycerides2.2
HDL1.0
Non-HDL5.7
HbA1c37
Great "below normal" result on the HbA1c. Not long at all, was it?

Your total calculated figure is much the same as mine (fasted). If I'm tested unfasted it will go up a point or two. Mine has been in the mid to high sixes for thirty years - it used to be called normal, but then overnight became high.

I have no doubt whatsoever that statins would lower my cholesterol figures, but I have considerable doubt about whether my cholesterol actually needs to be lowered. If you're looking to make general health improvements, stopping smoking would pay off much better than anything else.

And another vote for Malcolm Kendrick.

• Agree
Reactions: Outlier

Paul_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey Ian, congratulations on the hba1c result, that's amazing! Having talked with you quite a bit on here, I'm so pleased to see you've achieved this.

For reference, my last cholesterol results in November were as follows:

Screenshot_20240209_225741.jpg

My DN recommended I start on a statin. Current NHS guidelines state "The NHS recommends the use of statins for primary prevention in people with Type 2 Diabetes that have a risk of having a Cardiovascular Event of greater than 10 % over the next 10 years. This risk is calculated by your Healthcare Practitioner and helps you to make your decision." From what I can tell, this essentially means most T2D patients are automatically recommended to be on a statin. Therefore, your results are definitely in ranges which would see that as the textbook recommendation. I declined to start on a statin, at that point I'd lost a significant amount of weight (which can send your cholesterol wonky, even my nurse agreed), I've lost more since then too (over 7 stone since diagnosis now), so I've made peace with my decision on the basis that weight loss will have (and has already had) significant benefits for a number of my health conditions and I don't want potential statin side effects to jeopardise that progress.

I'm not medically qualified though and I won't for a single second claim to know which of the two prominent theories on cholesterol are correct. At the end of the day, we need to decide what's right for us, based on the information we have to hand and our understanding of it.

In short, it's not an easy decision. Smoking is a massive risk factor, so as an ex-smoker myself (and an enthusiastic smoker back in my day), I'd possibly recommend tackling that whichever way you decide when it comes to statins.

Edit - Just in case you think you quitting is impossible, here's a post I made previously about my experience - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ive-been-very-very-very-stupid.200049/post-2650519

Last edited:
Reactions: Outlier

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great "below normal" result on the HbA1c. Not long at all, was it?
Thanks, Kenny. It wasn't, no. It would have been interesting to know what my result would have been three months after diagnosis. I suspect it would have dropped quite a bit from the initial figure.
If you're looking to make general health improvements, stopping smoking would pay off much better than anything else.

And another vote for Malcolm Kendrick.
I hear you, and it will be done. I'm currently "reading" The Clot Thickens at the moment.
Hey Ian, congratulations on the hba1c result, that's amazing! Having talked with you quite a bit on here, I'm so pleased to see you've achieved this.

In short, it's not an easy decision. Smoking is a massive risk factor, so as an ex-smoker myself (and an enthusiastic smoker back in my day), I'd possibly recommend tackling that whichever way you decide when it comes to statins.

Edit - Just in case you think you quitting is impossible, here's a post I made previously about my experience - https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/ive-been-very-very-very-stupid.200049/post-2650519
Thanks, Paul. I know the time has come to stop, and I'll read the thread you mentioned.

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Let me add my congratulations on lowering your HbA1c. well done @IanBish

I noted that my Cholesterol numbers have been coming down with time, so I definitely wouldn't rush a decision.

I've just posted a link regarding statins that I posted some time ago,
to a question by @Mr Hairyman, see